Need Help/Suggestion : Denon DL 160 Cartridge needle broken

Tanoj

Hi Friends

Need Help/Suggestion: Denon DL 160 Cartridge needle broken :sad:

Hi friends

My son broke the needle :sad: , the stem got bent complete, I could manage to straight it however did not try playing any lps thinking it may damage the record

My denon cart does not have the replaceable type of stylus, so wondering is there someone who does re tipping,

Anyone got re tipping done ? , how much it would cost ?, will it work fine ?

Regards

Tanoj

Whatever you do, plese do not play any of your valuable records with that stylus again. Even though you've straightened the cantilever, it is likely that your record will suffer serious groove damage.

A similar incident happened on my brother's Technics SLBD20B wherein his son damaged the stylus cantilever. We replaced with el cheapo technics cart with an audio techinica cart and solved the issue.

On another note, in general, it is not worth buying replacement stylii any more as OEM stylii cost as much as the cart itself (just a few dollars less). I'd suggest to get yourself a new cart and solve the issue.

Very important, if you have kids around home they are likely to be very curious seeing your TT play its records. This could result in antics which could cause serious damage to your stylus, tone arm or record. If you have kids at home please ensure the following protocol:

1) Never leave your stylus uncapped. Always put on the safety stylus cap or lower the stylus guard (if available) after you've finished your record playing

2) Dont forget to clip up the arm on the arm rest

3) Never leave a record on the turntable after playing it, put it carefully back into its sleeve and store it away. Never leave records lying around within the reach of children

Try to keep your TT out of the reach of kids, if this is not possible, keep it well covered, probably having a custom zippable cover stitched for it would help.

Thanks

Hi Friends

Need Help/Suggestion: Denon DL 160 Cartridge needle broken :sad:

Hi friends

My son broke the needle :sad: , the stem got bent complete, I could manage to straight it however did not try playing any lps thinking it may damage the record

My denon cart does not have the replaceable type of stylus, so wondering is there someone who does re tipping,

Anyone got re tipping done ? , how much it would cost ?, will it work fine ?

Regards

Tanoj

it is not worth buying replacement stylii any more as OEM stylii cost as much as the cart itself (just a few dollars less).
Thanks

In general, I agree with Reuben but would just like to make a point that still in India, stylii cost substantially lower than the cartridge+stylus. However, abroad pricing is pretty much close for the two.

@Reuben: Which titles you are carrying back this time?

Regards,
Saket

Sorry off topic a bit...

Hey Reuben - I am also keen to know the titles your coming with. How do you get them, do you carry them as luggae and how many can you usually carry?

If your phono stage can handle a low output MC, and your arm can handle a low compliance cartridge, it is probably time to move up to the next Denon, namely, the venerable DL 103:)

A member on this forum (ariyahoor, IIRC) from Tehran is selling them at competitive rates. Or you can get them from 2juki, ebay seller from Hong Kong. His pricing is about as competitive as the aforementioned gentleman on the forum.

If you must retip it, there is the well-respected Soundsmith in New York state. But even their cheapest retip is probably more than the cost of a new DL160.

You better buy a good MM cart such as Shure M97xe,Ortofon OM10 or At 120e.They all are within $100.MM carts would suit your TT better.Basic re tipping from Soundsmith would cost you min $250+ shipping.

Regards,
Sachin

Whatever you do, plese do not play any of your valuable records with that stylus again. Even though you've straightened the cantilever, it is likely that your record will suffer serious groove damage.

A similar incident happened on my brother's Technics SLBD20B wherein his son damaged the stylus cantilever. We replaced with el cheapo technics cart with an audio techinica cart and solved the issue.

On another note, in general, it is not worth buying replacement stylii any more as OEM stylii cost as much as the cart itself (just a few dollars less). I'd suggest to get yourself a new cart and solve the issue.

Very important, if you have kids around home they are likely to be very curious seeing your TT play its records. This could result in antics which could cause serious damage to your stylus, tone arm or record. If you have kids at home please ensure the following protocol:

1) Never leave your stylus uncapped. Always put on the safety stylus cap or lower the stylus guard (if available) after you've finished your record playing

2) Dont forget to clip up the arm on the arm rest

3) Never leave a record on the turntable after playing it, put it carefully back into its sleeve and store it away. Never leave records lying around within the reach of children

Try to keep your TT out of the reach of kids, if this is not possible, keep it well covered, probably having a custom zippable cover stitched for it would help.

Thanks

Where can I buy a safety stylus cap?

In general, I agree with Reuben but would just like to make a point that still in India, stylii cost substantially lower than the cartridge+stylus. However, abroad pricing is pretty much close for the two.

@Reuben: Which titles you are carrying back this time?

Regards,
Saket

Hi Saket, I am back did some vinyl shopping (mostly on ebay) and am back with a lot of 85 LPs. Lots of classical ones, a bit of 1970s disco, some country and some pop titles. Could not but any rock LPs as they are usually very expensive and there are quite a few bidders for them. So that takes my small collection across the 600 mark. When shopping, I don't look for specific titles (as my listening preference is generally heavy metal). Hence, I pick up what comes my way in good condition. I've been able to pick up some good titles even though I've used the random approach. The only thing I usually take care about it to avoid duplicate titles.

Sorry off topic a bit...

Hey Reuben - I am also keen to know the titles your coming with. How do you get them, do you carry them as luggae and how many can you usually carry?

Hi, please refer to my previous post, did not get time to play some of them on my return. Good question about the luggage. I always pay special attention to this as I usually travel back to India with maximum permissable load. This time I divided my consignment into 2 packs, one pack of 35 LPs was hand carried (with my laptop, as cabin baggage) and the rest were packed in checked in luggage. I usually carry a little weighing machine to keep track of my luggage weight. Every gram counts in such cases. I was 3kg over the limit this time but the sweet lady at the counter at Houston airport let me check in without any surcharge (did Dallas to Houston by road as I had to visit a few of my class mates from school and boarded my Emirates flight at Houston)

Thans for the reply,

which cart and tt you use ?

since iam planing to go the MM cartridge path, which cartridge would you recomend to my sony direct drive turntable ( s arm )

i would also like to know the phonostage and amp details , i heard good reviews regarding ortofon om 10 and shure m97xe ,need suggestion on this too

anyone else who is coming back from us ?

Thanks

Tanoj

Shure 97 Xe will go well with S arm but I am not sure OM 10 will give you optimum result with that arm IMO. Regarding phono stage, I strongly recommend Nad PP 2 as it gives a very warm sound though the upper details may not be as good as Cambridge Audio phono stage

Last edited:
Bazar se le aye aur agar toot gaya.
Jaam e jam se ye mera jaam e sifal achha hai.
-Ghalib

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back