Need hometheatre both for music and movies

akshaye

I know this topic is repeating again and again and maybe some of them also got bored to answer the same question. But believe me I am following this forum from so many months after a long gap from joining. And finalised marantz + ba offer from reliance. So before buying had listened them and got surprised. Found that those are not made for me... Now here comes my requirements:

Living Room size: 12 x 7.5 feet
City: Mumbai
Usage: 80% music 20% movies
Sources: daily viewing tata sky, listening mp3 songs from my nexus4, bluray player ( not sure my PV8 plasma will display bluray HD content, pleas help)
Why avr: can not have 2 receivers one for music and one for movies due to tight budget.
Songs genre: mostly Bollywood mp3 and dts, and sometimes English pop.
Expectations: the music should sound crisped and detailed with tight bass (hope I am not expecting more in a less budget)
Budget: max 60k

What I have auditioned till now.

Demon x1000 with polk tax 220b bs speaker at profx kurla: not happy with mp3, and beyond my budget since its just the pair and avr for 61 k

Denon x500 with BA soundware s 5.1 at sound out haji ali: the fronts sound great with awesome SW, but could not check mp3 and surrounds due to connectivity issue.

Marantz NR1604 with BA A 2310 HTS speakers and soundware s sw at MZ Audio bandra: I like the sound for movie, I love the SW, it was perfect. But I am not sure about the detailing since the speaker were hanged on the ceiling and way too far from ears. So I think the its not logical to comment on the clarity.

Marantz NR 1604 with BA soumdware xs 5.1 at MZ audio bandra: not good for DTS songs. And can not check mp3 since format was unsupported for that player and I don't think mp3 will sound good on this. Movie was ok, but again the same above problem, the speakers were too far hanging on the ceiling. So this can be the problem that it lacked clarity..

Overall I found BA A 2310 HTS better than xs. But again not heard mp3 on this setup and its expensive than xs. And also speakers are at ceiling level, so not so sure.

I will check at andheri since there are more options there.

So if I finalized nr 1504 for 35k at MZ audio, what remains is 25k, so do u guys think I can get proper speaker package in this amount..?

Please suggest something so that I listen them at andheri.

Thanks in advance.

Reliance digital is offering Marantaz NR1504+ BA S 5.1 (not sure if it is XS or S) for 55k with a phillips 3D bluray player. I don't think denon/onkyo/Yamaha can beat Marantaz in music capabilities which is also your concern. BA S or XS are still 5 star rated in what hifi even after 4 years. These speakers are vouched by almost all our fellow FMs. I think this setup will be suffice for both your room dimensions as well as budget. If you pay 10% extra i.e 5.5K you will get 2 years extended warranty as well. You should seriously consider this steel deal. All the best.

Last edited:
Hi boss, I have already auditioned them at MZ Audio bandra, but I don't what's wrong with the setup it didn't sound well for music. The volume was on +70 and it was sounding noisey. I think I need to demo it again at another place. You know any audition room at andheri..I am looking for the post for the addresses..but not found it yet.

Last edited:
One more thing, has anybody heard marantz with BA A25 or A26? If yes how are they for music..? I am going to audition as many as I can this weekend.@ viola and her I. Any more options you guys want to suggest for auditioning..?

Which is better wharfee or BA amongst these models according to you?

Taking audition is the best way to judge which one is better. So please go ahead and take audition first. Go for the one which suits best to your ears. I know it's a standard reply but this is how it happens.:eek:hyeah:

Hi Guys,

My hunting for the my dream system is still on. I just listened to Yamaha RX V377 with BA xs, sounded little bright to me. Also I have listened denon x500 with BA S soundware and I really like that sound. So I think I am almost finalised with BA S soundware.

Now I am still thinking that for music listening this will give full justice..? Cause as per you experts says that bookshelves speaker will perform always better than satellites speakers for music? But again if I skipped this model than I need to build entire 5.1 one by one and it will be then too costlly for me. So what I am thinking to buy BA s soundware along with a pair BA A25 bookshelf. So for front left and right I will have 4 speakers. 2 BS and 2 satellites. So for music listening purpose I will get that strong impact of music details from L + R. But I am not sure for movies this will overkill the center speaker..? Please my questions may look stupid for you. But trust me building separates is out of scope for me and I can not have separate stereo system and movie system because of budget.

Right now I have decided after a long time to invest in the best system. I need to buy it right a away before I will get stuck into other priorities and responsibilities. I badly need your advice. Please guys...

Hi Guys,

My hunting for the my dream system is still on. I just listened to Yamaha RX V377 with BA xs, sounded little bright to me. Also I have listened denon x500 with BA S soundware and I really like that sound. So I think I am almost finalised with BA S soundware.

Now I am still thinking that for music listening this will give full justice..? Cause as per you experts says that bookshelves speaker will perform always better than satellites speakers for music? But again if I skipped this model than I need to build entire 5.1 one by one and it will be then too costlly for me. So what I am thinking to buy BA s soundware along with a pair BA A25 bookshelf. So for front left and right I will have 4 speakers. 2 BS and 2 satellites. So for music listening purpose I will get that strong impact of music details from L + R. But I am not sure for movies this will overkill the center speaker..? Please my questions may look stupid for you. But trust me building separates is out of scope for me and I can not have separate stereo system and movie system because of budget.

Right now I have decided after a long time to invest in the best system. I need to buy it right a away before I will get stuck into other priorities and responsibilities. I badly need your advice. Please guys...

You are the best judge. If the sound signature of the denon x500+ba soundware s has impressed you, you must buy it rather than changing your decision because someone else has not liked it. Audio is ones personal choice. What you like maybe the other person may not. Definately Bookshelf speakers will be better for music but as you dont want to undergo all the hassles of putting up separates. I think it would be wise to go in for the x500+ba soundware s. All the best.

X500 + BA s sounded good for movies, and ok for music. Should I try above option so I will get the best music just adding 2 bookahelves?

Ok after a long gap, I am back again. I have decided to go with the separates, since my usage will mostly for music. Now I have almost finalized the 2 receivers. Demon x1000 and marantz nr 1504. Which one you prefer between these 2? Sorry to bother you guys again, since I am not audiophile but enjoy the detailed and clear sound.

Between the two receivers you have mentioned, the Marantz is light on power. If you decide to up your budget and buy floorstanders later, it might not be able to power them properly

Denon X1000 can power my Dali Zensor 7s very nicely

Since you are familiar with MZ Audio in Bandra, ask for auditioning the A250 and the A360. If you ask them nicely they can even manage a Denon X1000 for auditioning (they offered me that facility when I tried the A360 in Feb)

You can check hifimart.com for prices on these speakers and MZ usually matches them. If you pick up AVR from them too, you might be able to bargain higher

Also try listening to Tannoy Mercury V4i at Alliance Global Goregaon (I am not sure if there is any other Tannoy dealer in Mumbai)
They can arrange audition with Denon X1000

I think you will find either the V4i or the A360 to your liking.

Hi Grunthos,

Thanks for your reply. I am not inclined to FS, since I have a very small living room, (its 16ft x 10ft - sorry for the wrong dimension posted earlier). So for next 5 to 7 years I am not planning to upgrade the fronts. So considering this fact do you think denonX1000 is still better than Marantz NR1504? Can you please suggest, I am still confused..

I would post probably pairing it with BA A26 bookshelves. But not yet finalised the BS though, I still need to audition Q acoustics, Dali, PSB within this budget. Do you know where I can audition all these brands?

Thanks in advance

16 x 10 is actually a good fit for a lower end floorstanders like the ones I have mentioned
And since you do not plan to change your speakers for the next five years, it is imperative that you check the FS I have mentioned.
Bookshelves by themselves won't give you full range sound and you will need to invest in a subwoofer for movies especially.

Q Acoustics I am not sure who carries - missed auditioning it when I bought
Dali - Avenue Sound (Boomerang) in Borivali E and The Den in Worli
PSB - Lakozy on Marine Drive

Also, if you are firm on bookshelves, include the Monitor Audio BX2 (at Imperial Sound, opp CST)
And Tannoy Mercury V1 - at Alliance Global

Hello Fellow Members,

I have posted following in a different thread but did not get a reply, so posting it here.

After reading various threads, I have at least decided to build/assemble my HT system on my own rather than going for a complete bundle. My requirement is 50% Music and 50% Movies. I have purchased a flat and plan is to setup this HT in my hall (size 14*12) which extends towards dining area in length (size 13*12).

As music for me is of higher importance, I have decided to go for following configuration.

AV Receiver :- Marantz or Yamaha

For speakers, as of now will go for two floor standing or Bookshelf and later add rest of the speakers.

Speakers:-
- Dali zensor (Read a lot of positive reviews)
- Boston Accoustics (Auditioned)
- Wharfdale (Read a lot of positive reviews)
- Tannoy (Read a lot of positive reviews)
- Jamo (Auditioned)

Now starts the confusion .

Confusion 1:- I am planning to buy AVR from US as I see the price difference is somewhere around 15 to 16K for the same model in India. Till now shortlisted Marantz NR1504 and Yamaha RX-V475 BUT, when I looked at the power rating, I am not sure if this will be sufficient to drive the FS speakers. (will buy a step down tnsfmr. to convert 220 to 120 volt)

Confusion 2:- As per my room specs, what do you guys think about the type of speakers? I am not a big fan of bass but definitely like highs and lows in music and love to hear each instrument voice reaching my ears clearly. I currently own ATH-M50 headphones and this is sufficient to make me reach the nirvana state after few minutes of listening. So please suggest what speaker type will suit best and more importantly will the above mentioned AVR do justice to FS speakers?

Confusion 3:- Many people have suggested to buy a decent AVR and spend more on speakers. So what is point in spending more money on AVR (mentioned above). Rather can I not buy an AVR for 25-30K and spend more on speakers? How much will be the difference in terms of sound quality if buying an AVR for 30K versus buying say Marantz 1504 or may something like Marantz SR5008/9 (if used with same type of speakers). My point is, Is it really worth spending 50K+ on an AVR?

Can someone please suggest.

Thanks
Gourav

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back