Need Suggestions for buying a TV 32"-40"

k_vijay12

Need Suggestions for buying a 40"-42" TV without 3D

I am looking to buy a no frills TV without 3D. Picture quality and relaibility is most important for me. Would prefer models with good Refresh rate (atleast 120Hz) I wd be connecting it to a AV receiver later. So even 1 or 2 HDMI inputs are adequate, preferably 1080p (FHD).

A digital audio point (toslink) would be a plus. Cos I have a B&O digital stereo Amplifier and want to use it with this TV. Would be using mostly to watch movies and sports channels and DVDs. Prince range is not really a constraint if i love the TV.

Did some research across brands and shortlisted the following 4 for demo this weekend...

1. LG 42LN5710
2. Samsung UA40F5500
3. Sony Bravia KDL-42w670 or KDL-42w700
4. Panasonic THL-42E6D

All the above are in price range of 55k. My brother is suggesting me to go for one with better refresh rate as more the refresh rate, better the image. In the above models Sony is 200 HZ refresh rate and others are 100Hz refresh rate. Let me know your inputs here.

Would close the deal this weekend itself if i like any. Let me know if I need to check any other models as well. Much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a no frills TV. 3D, Wi-Fi etc are not a requirement. I wd be connecting it to a AV receiver later. So even 1 or 2 HDMI inputs are adequate, preferably 1080p.

A digital audio point (toslink) would be a plus. Cos I have a digital Amplifier and want to use it with this TV. Would be using mostly to watch movies and sports channels and DVDs. Prince range is not really a constraint if i love the TV.

Can you please share some brand and models info? I would go and chk this weekend. Would close the deal this weekend itself if i like any.

Thanks in advance.

Your AVR has ARC support over HDMI... So look for a TV that has ARC support in HDMI ports... This will save you connecting cables between sources...

Went to Croma to chk the prices of the following :

1. LG 42LN5710 = 63k
2. Samsung UA40F5500 = 62k
3. Sony Bravia KDL-42w670 or KDL-42w700 =65k
4. Panasonic THL-42E6D = 63.5k

Planning to go for Sony 42w700B. I loved the picture. Also its the latest model. Any tips to bargain? or where to find better deals in Bangalore ? plz guide me. Thanks

Hi

If you are looking for a no frills TV then go for Toshiba which has all connectivity, audio out and USB options...it works for me ...it has 3 years warranty...also internet reviews from TV experts suggest LED tv lifespan is between 3-5 years at an average.. Plasmas last a bit longer.

I got it more cheaper than a Croma / E Zone / Vijay Sales with my local dealer with the same warrant....end of the day...it should appeal to you and your budget.

Hope this helps

Hi, Thanks for the assistance. I got Sony KDL-42W700B for 65k. It was launched world wide last month and is available in outlets for sale since last 5 days only. I liked the picture quality in this relative to other brands in same price band (read the abv mentioned models). Tried hard to bargain, but they expressed helplessness to give any discount on a newly launched product which is less than a week old.

Bought from Sony showroom in Indira nagar 100ft road. They delivered me with in 2 hrs as promised and installed it. Technician is expected to come tomorrow and give me demo and installation of software for applications. 720p resolution videos and blue ray videos are spell binding . totally amazed at the visual delight. Connected TV to my 2 channel stereo and running them on KEF Q300 speakers ... amazing clarity and totally loving this!!! :)

Last edited:
Congrats Vijay for your purchase...even I'm evaluating this model, given that W670A is discontinued and available in very few stores.

Quick check on one point, SONY website mentions viewing angle of just 89 for this model, as against 178 for W670A and other models...did you notice any issues around viewing angle? Not sure if this is any way inferior series than 650/670A.

@Anurag: 700B is basically built on 670 model with a few minor upgrades in body aesthetics - body frame and stand, Audio- Bass reflex Speakers and software upgrades for applications. This is what the sales guy has informed me. I haven't noticed any issues around viewing angles, but then I am viewing sitting ard 8 ft in front of it .... When I saw this in showroom ... I saw images from different sides. I didn't find it any difference.

There seems to be some stock of 670 model on snap deal for 56.6k. check it if you want.

I would suggest anyone to get the latest models. Upgrades are made and parts availability is also an issue nowadays.

Congrats on your purchase of the W700. Hope, you'll be sharing pics and a small review of this model :)

Dear friends, here is my TV experience....

First, day i did research on different brands/models/prices and bought the second day...I really didnt think much abt price, Cos PQ and ease of use are the most important factors for my consideration. . I purchased this without much hesitation
I got this TV for Rs 64900. I tried in about 10 outlets Kormangala / 100 ft road in Bangalore.... everywhere it is 64.9k and its the price set by Sony India is what i came to know. Tried hard to bargain, but no outlet was willing to budge a cent since the TV was launched last month and available in market for sales only for 4 days before i bought. I bought this in Sony showroom on 100ft road. . Mine was 3rd TV sold in Bangalore. Sale experience was flawless. They delivered within 2 hours of buying and the demonstration guy came next day. It comes with 1 yr standard warranty. 2 yr extended warranty costs 5k more. I didnt buy this additional warranty yet.
When compared to other brands with similar 2D and smart features set, PQ in Sony stands out. Though the difference is not much visible, it can certainly be differentiated when we compare the TVs side by side. Net connectivity, Streaming, user interfaces are very simple and easy to use. I connected this to my personal digital stereo amp. When compared to older model 670, the applications interface program is updated, new bass reflex speakers with Sony's clear Audio technology apart from visual aesthetics. All the Sony new wireless products launched recently have integration with this TV. The new wireless accessories such as sub-woofer, sound bars, web cams, flick remote are still not yet available in the showroom.

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for detail review.
2 questions
One is that after watching tv now any negative feedback from u on this model.
Second please see in room condition if not done about the viewing angle especially at 140 etc. and let me know if u saw any difference in light condition and in dark.

Please give quick response as I too have to buy it.

Thanks.

There seems to be some stock of 670 model on snap deal for 56.6k. check it if you want.
SShln1

Hi Vijay,

Thanks for detail review.
2 questions
One is that after watching tv now any negative feedback from u on this model.
Second please see in room condition if not done about the viewing angle especially at 140 etc. and let me know if u saw any difference in light condition and in dark.

Please give quick response as I too have to buy it.

Thanks.

Hi Sachin,

I don't have any negative feedback. I am just loving this. Picture quality in HD videos is awesome. Even audio is decent. I connected my stereo using Digital out. Viewing from different angles I cant say, cos my viewing distance is abt 8-9 ft that too from straight. I don't see any significant distortion while watching from other ends. Demo in any outlet and decide for yourself.

actually sony 42w700b is a fantastic option if you do not want 3D...reviews are very good for this model...here check out this review.....
Sony KDL42W705B/ KDL42W705 (W7) Review

That is true. I saw this model in Ambiance Mall (Gurgaon/NCR) and was impressed by the PQ. Infact now I have to decide between this and the LG42E6D tomorrow. Let's see what I zero down on.

Aare I thought you wanted the E6D and didn't need smart features and everything. Anyways, let us know about it's features and everything :)

Aare I thought you wanted the E6D and didn't need smart features and everything. Anyways, let us know about it's features and everything :)
I just fell for its PQ over the E6D and W700B. Infact the PQ looked so much better that I didn't bother to demo the Sony (as a final demo lol)

Posting from the TV using wireless KB/MO. :yahoo:

hi, I am looking forward to buy Sony 42w700b for this ugadi festival on 31st of this march. post your reviews on this tv. I just compared all the other brand tv's. I loved sony a lot. ii need 42 inches led tv without 3d n my budget s 65k.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back