Need suggestions for ICE setup in ALTO

sec

I'm getting an Alto this week and planning to do ICE in 2 stages.
Preference: base and clarity.

Stage 1
Budget : 15-16K
HU : Good HU with dvd player and usb support in 7K range
Front : Good component speakers in 5K range
Rear : Average coaxial speakers in 3K range

Considering my budget, it looks like Pioneer has good HU in 7K range and JLB speakers give a better bass.

Following is the setup I'm thinking of. Please comment and let me know if there could be a better setup considering my budget (15-16K max) and I'm looking for good bass.

HU : Pioneer 4250
Front : JBL GTO608C
Rear : JBL GTO937

I live near Pondicherry and need suggestions on good places to do my ICE installation.
---------

Stage 2
Planning to add an amp and sub in 3 months
Budget : 7-8K
Amp : Sony 552
Sub : ?

I can suggest the following (might exceed the budget but you will not regret it in the long run)

Stage 1 (budget - 18k) - scope for upgrade for amp + sub
  1. Head Unit - Pioneer 3050UB ~ Rs. 5500/-
  2. Front Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series EL 6.1 - Rs. 6990/-
  3. Rear Speakers - Illusion Audio EL 62 - Rs. 3990/-
  4. Wiring & Installation - 2k

Stage 2 (budget 25k) - will take you to the next level
Subwoofer - Ground Zero GZTW 30T - Rs. 7990/-
Amplifier - Ground Zero GZTA 4.120MK2 - Rs. 12500/-
Amp Wiring Kit - GZPK 10 Rs. 2990/-
Subwoofer Enclosure with detachable speaker connector - Rs. 1500
Damping + Installation - Rs 2000

Checkfor a good installer - the system will be envied by all - not to mention the sound, JB does not come close. You can play down with a cheaper sub and amplifier - but wait and upgrade is what I always say.

dont skip the rear co axials
All that the passengers will hear sitting at the rear is the irritating thump

Supra ( btw where have you been) has suggested an entry into mid fi
if you can afford that its a lovely setup.(i used to have the same setup in one of my cars except the HU)

However as per your budget your choices of JBL also correct
only if you have planned for a sub woofer then why not get 6 inch round coaxials for your rear
these are inexpensive, the JBL gt5's cost hardly 1800rs
Also they get fitted into the rear door panels and dont come in the way when loading and unloading the boot.Also you wouldnt require the stupid FIXED rear parcel shelf!
Youll miss some bass temporarily but then you will upgrade to a sub later on correct?

oops i mised the post that the car is an Alto
where is the stock provision for the rear speaker in that car
Also
the stock provision for the front doors will require some mods i think to fit 6 inch components

Last edited:
i was always there - soaking up the info all the time. Decided to be silent observer only though.

Anyway with ICE one can play with the budget. JBL's are good VFM. With the alto yes some cutting might be involved to fit in front components, rear parcel can accommodate coaxials - a sub can be added later on.

I suggest sec you also speak with Ajay Kamath from teambhp (bass n treble) to get an idea of components too.

oops i mised the post that the car is an Alto
where is the stock provision for the rear speaker in that car
Also
the stock provision for the front doors will require some mods i think to fit 6 inch components

The stock location is 4", same place as the Wagon R or Spark's stock location.

And you're right, when the front speaker is a 4", better to have another pair of coaxes in the rear to reinforce midbass levels.

I suggest sec you also speak with Ajay Kamath from teambhp (bass n treble) to get an idea of components too.

You can speak to Ajay Kamath here as well! :p

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Here is the final setup I would be installing:
Head Unit - Pioneer 3050UB ~ Rs. 5500/-
Front Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series EL 4.1 ~ Rs. 5000/-
Rear Speakers - JBL GTO938 ~ Rs. 3500/-
Wiring & Installation ~ 1k

Installers I know in Ponicherry are not comfortable with the door cutting stuff to install 6'' front components - and I'm settling with 4''.
And as you all said, JBL is good VFM and hence the JBL in rear.

This is for my dad's car and I think this basic ICE setup is good enough to listen to the 80's-90's at mid volume..isnt it?

And please let me know if you know any good installers in Pondicherry.

For that kind on music, this setup is more than good enough.

I have Pioneer 5090 HU + 4 Inch JBL for front and 6 x 9 coaxials installed on hatch door. This setup is fine for listening to such music.

You are on the wrong line altogether.

I would suggest:

Kenwood HU 7k
Hertz ESK/HSK 6-7k
Hertz 4" 3k or so

Later, sub from Hertz 12" for 5k
Add another 10k for the amplifier if you need it later

Hertz will blow away Polk which is way better than JBL.

If you want even better music quality then go for 10k+ 6.5" from Boston, Rainbow etc.

You are on the wrong line altogether.

Hertz will blow away Polk which is way better than JBL.

If you want even better music quality then go for 10k+ 6.5" from Boston, Rainbow etc.

i see a BBW fan
ohh yes and im sure the illusions he is installing will be blown away too

dear sec please stay with your orginally decided combination which you listed in post no. 7
i see no better combo in your budget ( without door panel mods)

guys, i might also be considering an ICE setup for my santro with a similar budget. It currently has a terrible Sony Xplod setup. What i want to know is, are there slightly high-end sources / HUs? with good DACs and stuff like that. I don't want a sub, i've never really heard a car sub that I've liked, but I want good clean musical bass, along with as much detail as can be achieved on a budget.

guys, i might also be considering an ICE setup for my santro with a similar budget. It currently has a terrible Sony Xplod setup. What i want to know is, are there slightly high-end sources / HUs? with good DACs and stuff like that. I don't want a sub, i've never really heard a car sub that I've liked, but I want good clean musical bass, along with as much detail as can be achieved on a budget.

dude whats your budget like?
For a sub and proper setup a HU with 3 RCA would be a good option. You can start with HU and component and coaxial speakers and later add a amps and a sub thereafter.

For a setup around 40-45k refer to my post earlier. For a lower budget you can try the gto series Very VFM.

I couldn't find 4 inch components -Illusion or any other brand- anywhere in JC Road Bangalore.
Any place in Bangalore you know sells 4 inch components?

What is the cheapest music system that can be installed in an Alto? I have a 7 years old Alto which I am planning to sell soon. So I don't want anything fancy. Just want some sound to keep me company. I haven't gone to any car audio shop yet. Will be going and checking out what is available this weekend. But if I could know what options I have and approximately how much it will cost, my task will be much easier. Thanks!!

Last edited:
What is the cheapest music system that can be installed in an Alto? I have a 7 years old Alto which I am planning to sell soon. So I don't want anything fancy. Just want some sound to keep me company. I haven't gone to any car audio shop yet. Will be going and checking out what is available this weekend. But if I could know what options I have and approximately how much it will cost, my task will be much easier. Thanks!!

bansal
there are a couple of threads where ive dicussed ntry level options
theres one about an i10
many options have been discussed please go thru it

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back