Need suggestions to buy an HDTV

tuhinr99

Hi All,

I have been going through a lot of posts on this forum, and I must say I am very impressed. The best thing I like about this forum is that the discussions are for products available in India. This is not the case with most of the other sites so the information obtained there isnt always what we are looking for or accurate or applicable in INDIA. Anyways, I am just saying things which is known to all in this forum. Finally couldn't resist joining the forum and post my own queries so here I am in HiFiVision.com with my first post (rather query).

After seeing a lot of HDTV in various showrooms and reading about them a lot in different forums, I too am now inclined to have one for myself. Honestly, I think, its now time I can afford one :cool: .

So here's my question to all of you who can help me out in finding the right solution:

I would like to get hold of a PLASMA TV. Simple reason being that I get a bigger screen with better picture quality at a lower price compared to an LCD or LED. I may be wrong in my assumption here so please do feel free to correct me.

So that's what I want. Next is what I can spend :rolleyes:. My budget is within 70K. I am based out of Bangalore so need to buy something here at this price.

Some of my preferences (in the same order as listed below) based on reviews read in this forum and elsewhere:
1. Panasonic- TH-P42V20D
2. Samsung- PS50C550
3. LG- 50PK550

What am I going to watch on this? I am hooked to Tata Sky (SD). Have a Phillips DVD player which I use to watch movies I rent. Planning to buy a BluRay player too sometime later (when I have some more extra cash to spend)

For each of the above I have read the pros and cons and so am not able to decide upon which to buy. Also, the price for the above 3 may overshoot my budget a bit but I'll manage.

The BIG question is: WHICH ONE and WHY?

I am more interested to have better picture quality, performance and less issues rather than Brand Name or Screen Size among these (I know some of you maybe already thinking that earlier I mentioned I wanted plasma for bigger screen size so why am I contradicting myself now. The answer is that among the preferences I have mentioned, they differ in screen sizes but I selected them considering their reviews and the price tag, not the screen size). Also, since my current viewing will mostly be SD till I switch to an HD DTH or buy a BluRay player so want to ensure that I dont end up buying a TV which shows me everyone as short and fat :eek:hyeah:

Apologize for such a lengthy post.

I checked on the panasonic display a couple of days ago at relaince digital in Hyderabad.The picture is excellent. Have money go for V series or PK550 for value for money

HD material looks excellent on almost everything, since you say you watch alot of sd, did u compare sd performance

Generally after a while only thing people regret is not getting the bigger screen

HD material looks excellent on almost everything, since you say you watch alot of sd, did u compare sd performance

Generally after a while only thing people regret is not getting the bigger screen

Thanks for your response... the problem is in most of the showrooms the SD content they play aren't of the best of quality. My observations have only been on HD content... i will check out the SD content this weekend...

Could'nt have said it better. The only one thing that is for sure, is that 'Big' is never 'BIG' enough.

Even I feel the same way but after reading a lot of reviews with all the pros and cons of the various models, I have my own doubts about whether I should really go for a BIG screen size by compromising quality or go for better Picture quality by compromising on screen size.

I checked on the panasonic display a couple of days ago at relaince digital in Hyderabad.The picture is excellent. Have money go for V series or PK550 for value for money

I had the same experience in Reliance Digital B'lore... kind of liked the TV a lot..but the problem was I couldnt compare with the LG and Samsung displayed there as there were some cable problem which caused the picture to be displaying Greens (as per the salesman).. need to check out somewhere else.. its very difficult to find plasma models of our choice being displayed at showrooms

Thanks for your response... the problem is in most of the showrooms the SD content they play aren't of the best of quality. My observations have only been on HD content... i will check out the SD content this weekend...

Cable/dth in showrooms usually worse than at home, You can try with DVD and also take some familiar sd movies on a memory stick.
Also if thay have any of the HD stb(thru hdmi) that will be much better than the normal stb signal thru AV port

Plasmas kind of washout under direct bright light so be aware of that as well, due to their higher brightness lcd can afford a darker antiglare coating this makes the lcd's(led backlit lcd also ) look better at bright showroom conditions,

Last edited:
Cable/dth in showrooms usually worse than at home, You can try with DVD and also take some familiar sd movies on a memory stick.
Also if thay have any of the HD stb(thru hdmi) that will be much better than the normal stb signal thru AV port

Plasmas kind of washout under direct bright light so be aware of that as well, due to their higher brightness lcd can afford a darker antiglare coating this makes the lcd's(led backlit lcd ) look better at bright showroom conditions,

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely do that.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back