Need to pick a Gaming console

olly42

Hi Friends,

Need help to pick up a gaming console for my Kids Birthday and I do not have a clue of which one is the in thing. Play Station, Wii games, etc.. Can you please help me out here

Appreciate a quick response

Xbox 360 & playstation 3 are the leaders in serious gaming. If you do not have dedicated Blu-Ray player go for PS3.

Again it depend on the type of game you want to play.

You can search gameplay of various offering in youtube.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the quick response svkndv what are the approximate costs of both Xbox 360 and PS3? Any place in Bangalore where I can get a good deal?

Hi Friends,

Need help to pick up a gaming console for my Kids Birthday and I do not have a clue of which one is the in thing. Play Station, Wii games, etc.. Can you please help me out here

Appreciate a quick response

How old's your kid Olly? do you want a console which you'd be using as well or is it purely for your lil one :lol:

I have a wii which is fun for the entire family and is relatively cheap compared to an Xbox or a PS3. I stopped serious gaming since the arrival of kids so my PS1/2 are in the attic and I have put away thoughts of a xbox/ PS3.

I think the Xbox/Ps3 have other tricks for streaming videos etc but for a fun filled experience I find the wii good for the family. The graphics on the wii are crap though.

You may want to consider a playstation move/ Xbox kinetic if you want a similar experience to a wii.

Kedun,

My kiddo is a big kiddo and we will surely join him from time to time. My daughter though will surely be using it for sure and there will be arguments etc.... Im game for that :) I think I meed to check out all the options

Planet-M sells PS-3, where you put up? Planet m have demo setup of ps3 and xbox.

Including move controls you may get it for around 20k .

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Why not get the xbox 360 with the Kinect?

Kinect is as much (if not more) fun than the wii and then you can do some serious gaming on the console as well.

Not sure about the best price but it was about 21k on Flipkart

Go for a ps3 if u want a good blue ray player as well. I was lured to it for the same reason. Gaming is fantastic and u can find family games across all platforms. I would suggest u try a console out at any Croma and decide.

Olly, as a hardcore gamer I would say consider the most important aspect, what does your kid's friends own? rather than considering any of the other aspects this is the most important one as then, they share games and they can play multiplayer for which they need to be on the same platform. So unless you are planning on a surprise gift, do ask your kid about this. coming to the other aspects these are my thoughts after owning both the xbox 360 and PS3:

quality of games - nothing between the two. only question is the exclusive games of the platform, now this is highly subjective given the taste of the gamer in question, but generally true fact - PS3 has better variety of exclusive games to the platform in terms of flavour, XBOX 360 is more first-person shooter driven.

recurring cost of ownership - nothing between the two. both the platforms have same prices, between 2.5-3k each game. The only thing to consider here is if you are in a position to buy cheaper imported games. Retail prices at current USD rates are actually higher outside than in India, but you do get cheaper pre-owned games in both US and UK from large chains, so if you are a frequent traveler overseas this can be a source of cheaper games. Now here PS3 has an edge as XBOX 360 games are region coded and PS3 games are not, so while buying XBOX 360 games from US one needs to do some research on whether it works on PAL consoles (the Indian version).

the casual motion gaming aspect - again here it is slightly tricky. There are few things to consider here:

cost - As far as the initial cost of ownership goes, Kinect is more expensive, but there ZERO recurring cost, whereas in PS3 you need to add move controllers for each incremental person wanting to join in. so on a recurring basis Kinect is more hassle free.

experience - depends on taste, although kinect is truly more user friendly and absolutely controller free, move is more accurate, all said I will say again nothing between the two.

available content - similar, doesn't matter which console you are going for. kinect does have some exclusives but they get old fast.

SPACE - this is most important. Kinect needs space. For a good experience you need at least 6-7 feet of clear space from the tv to where the user is, and this space should be clear, no furniture in between, if there are 3-4 players playing, u need 8-10 feet of clear space to be comfortably playing. PS3 move, on the other hand doesnt have this problem at all.

so those are the things to consider. In a single line, it doesnt really matter which one you buy as ypu understand from the above points, the only and most important thing is what your kids' friends own, otherwise he wont be able to play with them on multiplayer games.

Hi Koushikp,

Thanks for your inputs that is a lot of info :) Will surely keep all the points you mentioned in mind before the final purchase

Koushik has pretty much told everything but additionally you can check out IVG as well. Heaps of information there on console gaming. It is one of the most active forums for gaming in India. If your kid is old enough to use internet, he surely will be hooked to IVG once he owns a console.

IndianVideoGamer.com

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back