New 55 inch UHD TV from Philips

True, but what matters more is the image processing done by these companies which is very different. But again the picture will have differences due to the processing engine which is where the specialty of each company lies.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Do you have any idea as to the difference in PQ between Videocon and Philips as I had seen Videocon 4K sometime back in a big multibrand showroom and found the PQ to be more than decent. I had them play SD also which was very good.

Hey Amarendra... Had a chat with someone from the service centre and he's getting the set replaced. He said no need for engineer visit, just sent him photos for proof and bill etc. He said will take a bit of time... But it'll b done. So that's ok... Im keeping everyone in the loop via FB n twitter including international phillips care and Philips TV India.
I just hope this one time, once n for all I get a perfect tv without any issues as I explained u earlier, what's been happening with me.. This is my 4th tv in one month. 1 Philips replacement, 2 tcl's and now again Philips....hahhaa. Otherwise happy with with tv... Ps4 looks really good though not 4k since only ps4 pro supports 4k, but looks great nevertheless.
But don't know why... The 48" tcl curved looked bigger then the 49" philips.
By the way can u post your picture settings.

Found another annoying issue today. The smart keyboard remote doesn't connect most of the times. I've been trying to connect it... Only the yellow light is blinking n not going to green and not responding. Is this common with urs too? I restarted tv twice and charged the remote and switched off n on wifi. Does this remote needs wifi to be on on the TV.

Try going closer to the tv and try. If it works then it's a range issue. I think it also connects via a USB cable in the worst case

When you download from here select mkv format rather than hevc. The file sizes are large so go for smaller clips and copy them on a USB pen drive. Connect this drive to your tv and select smart TV on your remote. Then you can play through media.

LOL 4K streaming requires at least 25Mbps connection. There plenty of 4K videos on youtube, you have to switch between qualities.

Many thanks Amarendra for taking the first plunge.

Based on your repot I looked up the Phillips 43" 4K model. I found it suits my requirements exactly.

I have bought the 43" model, from Vijay Sales, for 43990. 5 years warranty is included in the price.

The overall quality is very good and is in the league of Samsung,LG & Sony, but at half the price.

It upconverts HD channels very well. This is particularly so for channels that are shot in HD and not up-scaled and passed off as HD.

Playback of movies from USB is supported for mp4 and mkv formats. For other formats it is a bit of trial and luck. 1080P movies are upscaled to 4K without any noise, judder or artefacts.

I haven't fully exploited the smart tv side of things. I will do so over the next few weeks.

Sridhar

Hey Amarendra, wanted to know whether this tv supports 4k at 60hz. U said it does have an hdmi 2.0, so it means it does right? I plan to buy the ps4 pro, therefore wanted to confrim this.

Its 4k at 30 if I remember right.

Ok... But I thought that hdmi 2.0 can support 4k @ 60hz...guess I was wrong. It means gaming at 4k won't be possible since they run at 60fps on ps4.

Update :
Got the replacment today of the TV but as my bad luck has it, the light bleed from top left corner (same as before) and bottom right corner. I've just learned the terminology for this "flashlighting" and it seems when we google that clouding n flashlighting is way too common everywhere be it Sony, ssamsung high end ones too and is only noticeable when watching dark scenes in dark room.
Though no clouding can be seen but flashlighting is thr from these two corners on dark scenes when viewed in dark room.
I don't know what to do know, again raise a complaint or live with it.
The last tv TCL had extreme clouding issue and now this tv has this, though not that bad liveable I guess.
Amy suggestions?

Ok... But I thought that hdmi 2.0 can support 4k @ 60hz...guess I was wrong. It means gaming at 4k won't be possible since they run at 60fps on ps4.

4K @ 30Hz is fine for movies and may be for "not so graphics intensive" games.
Few of Hollywood movies are now being recorded with more than 30Hz FPS.

4k 60fps on PS4 lol this is funniest shit I've read all day

So u can laugh all u want buddy. I am so glad I made u laugh.
I think u didn't go through my previous post and just jumped the gun, I was referring to Ps4 Pro here, since I had made it clear in the earlier post, didn't find a need to mention pro again.
I already own a ps4 and I know what I am saying, it's the pro I am talking abt.

I guess u where in a hurry to just post something without actually adding any value to the forum or this thread.
Cheers and good luck

4K @ 30Hz is fine for movies and may be for "not so graphics intensive" games.
Few of Hollywood movies are now being recorded with more than 30Hz FPS.

You're right for movies it's fine I know since they r at 25 fps but gaming would not be suited then since its going to be mostly at 60 fps.
As per my research doesn't hdmi 2.0 supports 4k @ 60hz..?

You're right for movies it's fine I know since they r at 25 fps but gaming would not be suited then since its going to be mostly at 60 fps.
As per my research doesn't hdmi 2.0 supports 4k @ 60hz..?

To me, seems like there are 3 things to consider:

1) HDMI 2.0 - Basic difference from previous HDMI version is bandwidth and 4K upto 60Hz.

2) Source - HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0, if PC then graphics card capabilities could be upto 24Hz or 60Hz.

3) Monitor or TV - Mostly all monitors are at least 60Hz and this is true for Full HD as well as 4K monitors. Gamers may want even higher than this (like 75 Hz).

I think one should be happy enough to see 4K video (movies) capabilities with budget 4K TV. If 4K games is not a strict requirement then Full HD gaming mode is also should be entertaining.

Well guys... The replacment Philips I got also had excessive light bleeding from corners also called flashlighting and now either getting a refund or exchange for any other brand from Vijay sales itself.
So hard luck, no Philips for me anymore. Now after 4 tvs on the last 2 months I am back to square one. Worst luck I say.

Don't get me wrong
I have a message for you.
In the YouTube video you uploaded about the clouding in your earlier tcl t.v.,I saw,it looked like clouding etc,but I think you should view these back light bleeding,clouding seated at a different angle.
The intex4k tv I've bought is awesome and after seeing your YouTube video it looked like my Tv also had that issue,but when I saw the screen from a different angle it was gone,so there was no bleeding or clouding in my tv
So,try seeing the screen from a different angle,all the 4 tvs you had bought can not have the same bleeding issue.

Don't get me wrong
I have a message for you.
In the YouTube video you uploaded about the clouding in your earlier tcl t.v.,I saw,it looked like clouding etc,but I think you should view these back light bleeding,clouding seated at a different angle.
The intex4k tv I've bought is awesome and after seeing your YouTube video it looked like my Tv also had that issue,but when I saw the screen from a different angle it was gone,so there was no bleeding or clouding in my tv
So,try seeing the screen from a different angle,all the 4 tvs you had bought can not have the same bleeding issue.

Thanks for Ponting it out. I'd like to tell u, the TV as for my room and Its directly placed on my cabinet in front of my bed and I watch it straight sitting in on my bed or lying down whatver. So if I see the light bleeding or clouding or flashlighting, it becomes unwatchable... Period. Now, I don't care if it's not seen sitting at an angle or not. This is happening with this TV, sitting directly at the front of the TV and yes, beleive it or not all 4 tvs have had all these issues. It's not like these where my 1st led tv.
Before this Ive had two lcd/leds n I never have I faced this issue.
Now the difference was, that TCL had clouding, white patches on dark scenes and Philips had light bleed from corners which is also known as flashlighting.
I have enough photos to show that in both the cases the clouding n l flashlighting was so much that it completely mars the viewing experience and in a dark room watching dark scenes it was horrible with white marks everywhere in case if tcl and yellow light leaking from top n bottom sides in the case of phillips.
Sheer bad luck I guess.
You tell me, if it wasn't visible or bothersome and wasnt visible during viewing, why the hell would I go through all this trouble and exchanges and refunds and then also stay without a tv in between for weeks.
You tell me, if it want a Genuine issue, then why would Philips acknowledge it and send replacment and now refund?

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back