New Tannoy build

GeorgeO

Following in the footsteps of HfV mods Rajesh and Anilva, I too decided and took the plunge. I was lucky to find a pair with crossover and built the GRF Rectangular enclosure. This is a horn loaded design, named after Guy R Fontaine, Tannoys founder, who designed it. First impressions are good, need a little time to break them in. Regretfully uploading photos is to cumbersome, I won't do it. Do a search for Tannoy GRF on the web you week get plenty of info. I used birch ply and walnut veneer.
If possible I will post listening impressions after a month or two.

Sorry didn't mention the drivers used, it's the vintage 15 inch Monitor Gold that both mods used, a legendary driver. Anil has spoken about it in his thread.

Congrats George !!!!

I can help you on posting pics.. if you need.... Just for fun below..

thisthreadcompletelyuseless20WITHOUTIMAGES1_zps8b29a225.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Srini
Agree. The process of uploading pictures is very time-consuming. I'm willing to send you a couple of them if you can upload them for me...
Please PM me if that's an option.

No it's the GRF Rectangular. The GRF comes in different digits, Corner, Professional etc. The one I selected is the largest that I can have in my living room.

Bengaluru is becoming an hub for Tannoys... First arj / anil / george / santhosh ??? who is next...

Great effort,pls posting listening impressions,did u compared it with any vintage jbl studiomonitors like 4xxx series??

Congrats George and great job ! I have been fascinated by the RHR anniversary speakers and was kind of hoping you built one as I really want To listen to one . The GRFs are of course a class of their own !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage speakers very, very rarely( especially given our working environment) retain original cones. Even if unused, the cones deteriorate significantly. This is true of Altecs, Tannoys or any other make. Altec alnico magnets can be remagnetized-Sidewinder for example offers this service.

Even amps rarely make it through many decades of (mis)use without getting scarred. I am currently restoring a pair of Klangfilm amps. monoblock EL 34, rescued from the scrap heap, that I was fortunate enough to stumble across. These have seen better days and the restoration process is hugely assisted by the amount of information available on the net. Klangfilm(German for Sound and Cinema) was Siemens Germany's cinema equipment label back in the day.
There is a lot of learning that one goes through during a restoration/vintage project, some of which is relevant for future projects, and some unique to that project. Patience and ample time are required, as well as other standby systems that you can use in the interim. It's akin to a vintage car restoration project-which I've seen at close quarters, but not done. For example, Altec refurb kits are available through GPA Audio or Hunter Audio, and many other vintage gear refurb kits are also available, though at a price-Lockwood Audio for example supplies Tannoy spares. Klangfilm parts aren't easily available, though.

So in answer to your original point. for us in India, getting hold of NOS gear in pristine condition is near impossible.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back