New TCL 85 inch TV model 1.99L INR

Soap opera effect is an issue which is almost 2 years old, haven't take care of somehow,
to bypass it you can use Game mode, or if you want to use the regular modes just increase the judder by few points and than reduce it to zero.
you will have to repeat the above step each time you switch the source, I use Movie mode and manually turning up judder by 2 points and than reducing to zero when I watch a movie but for regular viewing Game mode will do.

I am pinning my hopes on Android upgrade. The TV is only on Android 8.

After going through something similar with Metz OLED, it's not worth spending a bomb on a TV which will annoy you every time you watch it. It infact ensures the viewer can't watch content as it's intended. Motion interpolation can be turned off in cheaper TCL sets. It's best if owners band together and complain strongly.

and this what is there for TCL Roku TV's ie the ones in USA, looks like there is a hidden Advanced Settings which can show Action Smoothing option to be turned off or on, worth checking if its there on this TV also

How to Turn Off Action Smoothing
Luckily, you can disable this feature on your Roku TV. Roku hides the option under “Advanced Picture Settings” in the menu, which you can open by pressing the “*” button below the direction pad on the remote. Note that how this button press works changes depending on what’s on your screen. It doesn’t work on the Roku home page or on the home pages of streaming video apps, which all use the “*” button for other things. You must be playing a video in a streaming app to access the menu. You can also access the menu by simply pressing “*” when you’ve selected a specific HDMI or other input on your TV—no need for a video to be playing then.

If your Roku has motion smoothing, you’ll see “Action Smoothing” options under Advanced Picture Settings. There are four different levels of Action Smoothing you can select: High, Medium, Low, and Off. If you just want to get rid of the motion smoothing effect, select “Off”. The other levels will use less motion smoothing, but will still interpolate the content. (If you don’t see the Action Smoothing options, your Roku TV doesn’t have motion smoothing.)

Was caught up with other stuff.

I figured out how to turn off all the nonsense processing on the 85P8M. There is thankfully a picture mode called PC. This is the only one which completely turns off motion smoothening and all other weird image processing that screws up the cinematic look and 24fps motion of movies. Set backlight down to 25 or so for daytime and around 12 for night and I never change the mode. Now the TV is quite usable.

I still get random restarts though so it's still a bit unstable. Also not sure about long term reliability. Will have to wait and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Was caught up with other stuff.

I figured out how to turn off all the nonsense processing on the 85P8M. There is thankfully a picture mode called PC. This is the only one which completely turns off motion smoothening and all other weird image processing that screws up the cinematic look and 24fps motion of movies. Set backlight down to 25 or so for daytime and around 12 for night and I never change the mode. Now the TV is quite usable.

I still get random restarts though so it's still a bit unstable. Also not sure about long term reliability. Will have to wait and hope for the best.
its same with Game mode.

Not sure about other models but there is a perceptible difference between Game and PC mode on this specific model. What someone might prefer of course is highly subjective.

Have you tried sports mode ? Does it have any benefit ? I will be calling technical head at TCL tomorrow.

Have you tried sports mode ? Does it have any benefit ? I will be calling technical head at TCL tomorrow.
Yes. The smoothing effect is actually helpful when watching sports. I don't watch much sports nowadays but if you do it would help keep it on.

Wrt to sound, Arc has been hit and miss. Works well with my JBL soundbar. Does not work with my Denon AVR. Optical out works fine for DD 5.1.

Yes. The smoothing effect is actually helpful when watching sports. I don't watch much sports nowadays but if you do it would help keep it on.

Wrt to sound, Arc has been hit and miss. Works well with my JBL soundbar. Does not work with my Denon AVR. Optical out works fine for DD 5.1.
I am using arc with marantz 5013, just working fine. Have you tried hard reset bro ?

So did anyone bother to check if there was an Action Smoothing option on this TV in advanced setttings??

So did anyone bother to check if there was an Action Smoothing option on this TV in advanced setttings??
There is no Advanced setting on my 65x4us, I think its on roku Tv only but there is a hidden service menu on TCL Tv's which I tried 6 months back searching to switch it off but no luck.
it is = Menu+Contrast+9735 or 1950

You could have bought 4 TCL P8 for 1 LG C9. So where is the comparison?
Yes, I will also worry like others in the same thread of the current issues with P8. In Chennai Velachery reliance branch has side by side comparison of both TV's. Very dull in picture quality of P8. Heard from my friends own experience of his TCL TV. Service in chennai is very poor. So decided to go for LG OLED.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back