New TCL 85 inch TV model 1.99L INR

It looks so opposite to me ,I'm fine with SDR.
What's the color depth of my model ? Couldnt find it in specs, need to set it up in fire tv 4k

TCL-4004402565-with-without-hdr.jpg

Update :
Interstellar 4k HDR YouTube docking scene looks amazing. I think rip ain't good.

I think I have the same rip based on the size you have mentioned. Looked great! I love the fade to blacks and dark scenes which merge into the darkness with OLED. Anyway, if you'll Google HDR looking dark, you can find various threads for the same issue. See if any of those has relevant information that can help. You should definitely check the specs of the panel. See the color depth and also the brightness. My Iffalcon TV has HDR too, but of course, looks mostly like SDR in a couple of shows I checked because of low brightness and 8 bit panel too if I'm not mistaken.

It depends on viewing distance i guess. Any chance i wud get the OLED. But if u have too big of a room and if u r looking for casual viewing. I recently upgraded from iffalcon to C9. The difference is quite huge. I saw dark knight on both the sets (IMAX enhanced version 4K) and the level of details and clarity is great. I was looking at it in completely dark room and in the interrogation scene, joker looks like sitting in real in the dark background!!

Still in dilamo, LG C9 OLED 65" with sound bar 1.99L or TCL 85INCH for the same price?

It would be best if you could see both TVs side by side. Size is very important and is one reason many people use projectors. I have seen the 65" C9 against a smaller size mid range TCL and I found the TCL to be better because it was brighter. The C9 looked dim by comparison. To me the 65" C9 was mediocre at best. I can tell you this, I've been using projectors for years and I am tired of viewing in the dark. I will be buying a TV in a few months once I have made the necessary modifications to my room and I have decided to go no smaller than 85".

It would be best if you could see both TVs side by side. Size is very important and is one reason many people use projectors. I have seen the 65" C9 against a smaller size mid range TCL and I found the TCL to be better because it was brighter. The C9 looked dim by comparison. To me the 65" C9 was mediocre at best. I can tell you this, I've been using projectors for years and I am tired of viewing in the dark. I will be buying a TV in a few months once I have made the necessary modifications to my room and I have decided to go no smaller than 85".
I am on the same ⛵. I feel like the infinite contrast is a bit overhyped specially at it's price point.

Bought the 85 inch.

Photo attached. I've put a standard size keyboard in front of the TV to give a relative idea of size.

I have the 65 inch P8E TCL also. So this was a blind buy assuming it would largely be the same interface and features.

Currently one big negative: Unlike the 65 P8E, with the 85 P8M there seems to be no way to turn off the soap opera effect with Fire stick 4k as a source.

I hope they add the motion setting with a firmware upgrade sometime soon. Till then I would in hindsight suggest folks to hold off if the primary goal is films and not sport.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191103-225350_Snapseed.jpg
    Screenshot_20191103-225350_Snapseed.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 129
Bought the 85 inch.

Photo attached. I've put a standard size keyboard in front of the TV to give a relative idea of size.

I have the 65 inch P8E TCL also. So this was a blind buy assuming it would largely be the same interface and features.

Currently one big negative: Unlike the 65 P8E, with the 85 P8M there seems to be no way to turn off the soap opera effect with Fire stick 4k as a source.

I hope they add the motion setting with a firmware upgrade sometime soon. Till then I would in hindsight suggest folks to hold off if the primary goal is films and not sport.
Finally OP bought it.. congratulations
Have you connected fire tv 4k directly,not on the receiver ?
Try sports mode that helps a bit.
Do share settings,movie setting makes it too warm and dark & dynamic settin is so BRIGHT

@astronics whr ur at brah

By the way forewarning for any buying the TV, it does not include the wall mount in the packing. So if you want to save time ask for it to be sent as soon as you place the order. Mine is going to take at least 2 days for it to arrive from TCL Mumbai.

Bought from Reliance Digital by the way.

Finally OP bought it.. congratulations
Have you connected fire tv 4k directly,not on the receiver ?
Try sports mode that helps a bit.
Do share settings,movie setting makes it too warm and dark & dynamic settin is so BRIGHT

@astronics whr ur at brah

Just had it rigged up in the evening today. Currently Fire Stick 4k is connected directly not through an AVR. Plan to run it all later this week through the AVR.

Did you get the soap opera effect with any of your sources?

Haven't had enough time to play with the picture profile settings yet.

Just had it rigged up in the evening today. Currently Fire Stick 4k is connected directly not through an AVR. Plan to run it all later this week through the AVR.

Did you get the soap opera effect with any of your sources?

Haven't had enough time to play with the picture profile settings yet.
I really do not understand what's that i will Google and then check. I'm just using one hdmi with arc cable so really not switching in between.. tatasky to movies (except darker hdr) is working perfectly fine for viewing pleasure.

I really do not understand what's that i will Google and then check. I'm just using one hdmi with arc cable so really not switching in between.. tatasky to movies (except darker hdr) is working perfectly fine for viewing pleasure.

I've attached the "feature" in the TCL TV that causes it. Unfortunately in the 85 inch model unlike my 65 inch P8E model there is no way to turn this off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191103-233506_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191103-233506_Chrome.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 43
So I've tried everything possible. There is no way to shut off the smoothening. As a result feature films look videoish.

Also note that this runs on Oreo. All the other in the series P8, P8E and P8S run Android 9 Pie where soap opera can be switched off. Also the P8M seems to have difficulty in passing a clean Dolby Digital plus signal thorough ARC. The P8E 65 inch I have has no issues with this.

Just a few things to keep in mind for folks considering this purchase.

Do note that image quality is good and of course this is the only 85 inch TV available at a semi sane price in India right now ;)

Hi,

Congrats to Raghav n Vineet on the big boy purchase.

I have been thinking lately to replace my 1080p projector which gives very nice 110 inch images to
a 75 inch TV, saw VU and TCL , found both ok image wise. I currently also have a 2017 55inch TCK 4K TV
and its been a pleasure watching that.

I think the 75 inch prices will drop more significantly in coming months as the manufactures try to outdo each other

I can see that the TCL range in Australia already has QLED in 75 inches but not yet here in India.

The 85 inch no doubt would be the perfect one time buy and one can forget then upgrading in future from
this size. The pricing is no doubt very nice and it will slowly drop too.

Good to see both putting their reviews keep it up will help others decide on the big boy.

I'm surprised to hear that it has Oreo Android ( 8.0) in this , when the press release clearly said Android Pie ( 9.0)
maybe you can talk with TCL Tech support to get the firmware - might help the soap opera effect removal which is really
an ugly way to watch movies and should be there in every big tv to be disabled.

Vivek

The TV is stuck on the main TCL logo screen now. Does not move ahead. Had several hangs and restarts before this happened.

Very disappointing QC on this product.

I think 110" screen even if it's 1080p will be better than 85" 4k uhd screen mainly due to size difference.

Having a projector and the 85 inch now I can confirm this is largely true. Some things to consider though, the TV is the superior option during the day if you do not have a dedicated HT room and no ALR screen (also no hassle of rolling down the projector screen). Relative distance is also a factor. If you can sit closed enough the 85 inch can be quite immersive. That said I usually project on a large wall at 130+ inches. The TV simply cannot compare to that at night.

Projectors are a phase I got it as big tv's are not in existence then , I installed mine almost 6 years ago so change is good and 75 or 85 inches will be good enough for my room and the clarity of 1080p on 110 screen is not same as 75 inch or 85 inch 4K.
Everybody knows 110 is bigger than 75 but a TV you can switch on even for news , sports and any other good TV programs
as and when you need or surf the net also ( for me)

I m through with my projector phase so time to move on :)

Others can contemplate as they wish.

Yeah. Those looking at projectors must realise that it is only for serious viewing. It can not compare to a TV on any front except for the scree size. But a 75" screen size is less than half of a 110" screen size. I don't think I would be able to accept going down this much in size.

Most people limit projectors for watching movies. I doubt they'll fire it up to watch TV programs after a hard days work in the evening. Small screens were adequate when casual watching was limited to SD content from Cable/Satellite box just a few years ago. Today HD channels are the norm and 4K content is starting to be widely available, especially through the internet and small screens don't do justice to that kind of picture quality. That's where the large screen LED's fit in and the lower prices will see them in more homes.

I have been watching TV/internet content on a 75" 4K VU for a few years and have a 1080P projector that hasn't been fired up in more than a year, preferring instead to watch movies on the same TV. I haven't even bothered to fit in a dedicated home theater in my under-construction house and designed all the audio/video gear I need into the informal family room. The TCL 85" or larger if one comes along will be my main video display. BTW, I am amazed at how small even a 55" TV looks now that I am so used to the 75 incher.

Still in dilamo, LG C9 OLED 65" with sound bar 1.99L or TCL 85INCH for the same price?
Which soundbar was bundled at that price?

The deal looks too sweet, if it is with SL8YG. Could you please update the oled price thread with the details.

Let me also add that it’s a good idea to invest in a quality media player for large screen TV’s. IMHO manufacturers invest as much effort into inbuilt media players as they do into speakers so it’s often not of the best quality. I am using the first generation Nvidia Shield TV and YouTube, Amazon Prime etc. look so much better than with the inbuilt one, not to mention much more responsive. You also get regular SW updates. Nvidia has come out with a more compact one along with a pro version in it’s latest iteration which is something large screen owners should look at.

Xiaomi just announced today Mi TV 5 Pro series - 65 and 75 inch QLED TV's today in China for 50,500 and 1,00,000 respectively ( chinese pricing)

I think its best to wait for 2-3 months - TCL & VU will refresh their models also with QLED higher size screens.

QLED will become the new default, so its best to wait and watch before buying.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back