New television needed.. LCD,LEd or PLASMA??

Akshay37

Heya guys.. Am totally new to this community and sorry if I have unnecessarily created a new thread.. I have bought a new house and the entire decor is based on the ultra-modern theme.. To complement the theme I need a television set which is good in both form and function..

Lcd,Led or Plasma is the biggest concern.. I have been following reviews and forums all over the web and all the effort has left me even more confused.. The viewing distance of the tv is about 15 feet, so i definitely need over 40 inches of panel! Content would be 40% airtel stb content, 40% bluray and 20% bdrips over an Xtreamer.. I need good colour accuracy, a wide colour gamut and deep blacks.. I realy dont know what difference the 100hz frame doubling or even tripling tech does to a normal untrained eye but Iloved watching football on my previous 50hz tvs and found no problems with it..

Most importantly my budget is 1 lakh INR and would'nt mind stretching it a lil if its realy needed.. Please do help me out guys coz I need the TV by next week..

Also do the plasmas loose their blacks and do they really wear out after 5-7 years of use or was the showroom guy an imminent sales driven retard?

If possible just temme the best Television set available in India for 1lakh INR.. the most common reply would be my buy.. thanks to all in advance..

Well, Im sure that you are going to see a lot of comments flowing here; here is my take, as far as plasmas are concerned.

Plasma's will give you the most natural images of the lot. However, Plasma comes with a big "IF", the lighting conditions.
If you can control the lighting of your house, and ensure that the wall in front of plasma can be kept free of pictures and stuff, then Plasma will indeed give you the best picture overall.
However, Plasma's are more prone to glare than most of the LCD's.

So in a nutshell, if you can control the lighting of your house, then Plasmas will rock.

I have a budget 42" Plasma, brought in 2009. Does its job very, very well. But my hall can be kept reasonably dark, since there is no direct sunlight falling in the hall. And the wall behind the TV has no wall hangings and stuff. The TV, gives me good contrast, and good black levels to boot.

thanks for the reply bro, but I was lookin for more like a one to one comparo or lcd/led/plasma.. and in all the best tv set that 1 lakh rs can buy...:)

Lcd,Led or Plasma is the biggest concern.. I have been following reviews and forums all over the web and all the effort has left me even more confused
First of all the so called LED TVs being sold currently are also LCD TVs. The only difference between the standard LCD and the LED LCD is the source of light. The standard LCD uses CFLs as a source of light whereas the LED LCDs use LEDs as their source of light. Personally I would rate Plasma as the best, both in terms of value for money and also at the higher end where price is no object.
The viewing distance of the tv is about 15 feet, so i definitely need over 40 inches of panel!
At that viewing distance I would recommend nothing less than a 50" TV. Given your budget a Plasma 50" is an easy pick.
Content would be 40% airtel stb content, 40% bluray and 20% bdrips over an Xtreamer.. I need good colour accuracy, a wide colour gamut and deep blacks.. I realy dont know what difference the 100hz frame doubling or even tripling tech does to a normal untrained eye but Iloved watching football on my previous 50hz tvs and found no problems with it..
Based on what you are looking for in a TV, again a 50" Plasma is your best bet.
Most importantly my budget is 1 lakh INR and would'nt mind stretching it a lil if its realy needed.. Please do help me out guys coz I need the TV by next week..
In case you can stretch the budget to around Rs 1.25 - 1.35 lakhs, the Panasonic TH-P50V20D is a clear winner and probably the best TV available in India today at any price point.
Also do the plasmas loose their blacks
The "plasmas losing blacks" is not a problem with Plasma technology and does not apply to all Plasmas. It is an issue limited to only some of the 2009 Panasonic models. The jury is still out on the 2010 Panasonic models.
and do they really wear out after 5-7 years of use or was the showroom guy an imminent sales driven retard?
You picked that one right. For, only a retard would make such a statement. There is absolutely no difference in expected life of Plasma and LCD panels. Current Plasma TVs are quoted around 30,000 hrs to half brightness. Some manufacturers are even claiming that their plasma TVs are testing up to 60,000 hrs before any quality is lost. Even if you were to take the lower figure of 30,000 hours, and you watched 8 hours of TV a day, 365 days a year, the TV would still last you over 10 years before seeing major picture deterioration. If you calculated with a more plausible 4 hours a day of TV time, 365 days a year, you would get over twenty years from your set before any major deterioration.
If possible just temme the best Television set available in India for 1lakh INR.. the most common reply would be my buy.. thanks to all in advance..
In case your budget cannot be stretched to buy the Panasonic TH-P50V20D, then I would suggest you buy the Samsung 50C6500 or the Panasonic TH-P50U20, both should be available for approx. Rs 90,000. You could also consider the Samsung C550 at approx. Rs 70,000.

@sanjay0864

Thank you so much bro.. that was the best piece of advice I got in recent times about buying a tv!! I would not want to go in for a 50 incher since m scared that regular Sd content from the airtel stb I have would deteriorate over that big a panel! Plus I am a big football and cricket fan, so i cant risk losing out on stb performance over the Tv!!! :p

But I would definitely check out the 42 inch version of the same TV.. how would that fare? I have heard about something called burn-ins in plasmas.. Is that a big issue in the newer models? Also is power consumption of the plasma types really as high as feared by the greener people..

I was seriously considering the SONY BRAVIA EX-700 edge lit in 40 inches.. A local seller is quoting a price of 96000/- for the same which falls right into my budget plus leaves me some cash for a wi-fi adapter to hook it to my home setup :p

But ur suggestion of plasmas led me into wandering into the prices of the panasonic 2010 range and they seem to be much more affordable compared to leds/lcds!! Plus they seem to have much better PQ.. So I think this might just make the deal for me..

In your post u mentioned V20D and V20 separately.. are they different models or was that a typo?
Plus is there some special care that needs to be taken in case of plasmas?

Many questions and doubts of a uncannily troubled buyer, thanks for helping out guys..

Guys, I was checking out some review for the V20 that sanjay0864 recommended and I just seem to have stumbled upon something really bad.. The losing black problem seems to be more serious than ever!! many 2008/2009 and sadly 2010 models are affected by this weird programmed voltage rise in their plasmas which inturn increases the brightness of the blacks which tend to appear more gray than black! so much so that they end up being comparable to mid level LCD tvs after about 1500 hours of usage.. have any of the plasma owners in this community noticed this reduction in blacks?

This makes me want the led range more than ever!!

I dont understand why panasonic is trying to loose their customer base with these gimmicky processing algorithms! they definitely need to look back into it and do what they best do.. make the best of consumer plasmas!!

with so many glitches its definitely not a panny for me this year!! '

And guys, Is 96000/- a good deal for a sony 40 ex-700 edge led.. Read some reviews comparing the PQ on this set directly with some mid level plasmas!! Plus its great on power consumption, rated at around 100W compared to the pannys 350W.. Is this set worth jumping in for?

I dont understand why panasonic is trying to loose their customer base with these gimmicky processing algorithms! they definitely need to look back into it and do what they best do.. make the best of consumer plasmas!!

with so many glitches its definitely not a panny for me this year!! '

And guys, Is 96000/- a good deal for a sony 40 ex-700 edge led.. Read some reviews comparing the PQ on this set directly with some mid level plasmas!! Plus its great on power consumption, rated at around 100W compared to the pannys 350W.. Is this set worth jumping in for?

Well you can rather go for the cheaper EX500 that comes with a SPVA panel,the EX700 comes with new ASV panel,both have comparable contrast if anything the ex700 in theory be better for games,due to the slightly lesser input lag but it will make negligible difference.

What about the led backlighting? wont it make a difference to the contrast or the colours? I heard the blacks on the ex700 are comparable to some plasmas! But being 30000Rs cheaper I think it offers more value for money and those 30k will fetch me a good HT setup!! But then again LED backlighting has taken my heart away!!

pls hep me out with this guys.. Now its, EX500( getting a deal for 66K) or the EX700( dealing for 96K)..

Well yes the LED edge light,does offer some advantage mostly in size and power consumption,from my own experience the edgeLED have better dynamic contrast implementation.
The ex700 has wifi capabilty via wifi N usb adaptor it supports some widgets and internet video like youtube.
Whether its worth the 30k more i am not so sure,i wouldn't pay the 30k extra.
BTW i don't know whether you have the grey market in goa,but if you do you can get the EX500 for 55k.

thats the sad part.. we dont have a grey market for tvs' in Goa, atleast none that I knw of..
But the deals I mentioned are from a reputed dealer friend of mine.. All documents and warranties..

The thing is there wont be a lot of use of the wifi or the widgets as I would hardly stream content directly to the tv, so thats unnecessary ..
So it all boils down to picture quality.. I need good contrast and colours.. everything else is secondary.. including the looks!

So adder, could you tell me if you have compared both the Tvs side by side.. We dont have the cromas or the vijay sales here in Goa, so its very difficult to get a chance to see them together.. If anyone has seen the two of them together then would you please tell me which one is better in terms of pure picture quality and regular SD/HD processing..

Last edited:
In case you can stretch the budget to around Rs 1.25 - 1.35 lakhs, the Panasonic TH-P50V20D is a clear winner and probably the best TV available in India today at any price point.
Just to update everyone, the official MSRP of this is Rs. 125,900 DP is Rs. 118346 and one should be able to get it for approx. Rs. 112,000 - 115,000 at retail.

thats the sad part.. we dont have a grey market for tvs' in Goa, atleast none that I knw of..
But the deals I mentioned are from a reputed dealer friend of mine.. All documents and warranties..

The thing is there wont be a lot of use of the wifi or the widgets as I would hardly stream content directly to the tv, so thats unnecessary ..
So it all boils down to picture quality.. I need good contrast and colours.. everything else is secondary.. including the looks!

So adder, could you tell me if you have compared both the Tvs side by side.. We dont have the cromas or the vijay sales here in Goa, so its very difficult to get a chance to see them together.. If anyone has seen the two of them together then would you please tell me which one is better in terms of pure picture quality and regular SD/HD processing..

yes i have seen them both side by side,not much difference in PQ,both have very good contrast and colors,sd picture quality.

I think i'll settle for the ex500 this time.. and upgrade to a 3d plasma maybe next year or so when they'll be cheaper and bigger in screen size....

so now thinking in the HT department, what plug and play setup is the best for around 30000Rs?? any suggestions adder.. :)

I think i'll settle for the ex500 this time.. and upgrade to a 3d plasma maybe next year or so when they'll be cheaper and bigger in screen size....

so now thinking in the HT department, what plug and play setup is the best for around 30000Rs?? any suggestions adder.. :)

you probably have better luck making a seperate thread in audio section,remember audio is a very subjective,so best to audition them yourself.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back