Nomdeplume from New Delhi, getting into "Feature Creep" while setting up home-theater

nomdeplume

Hello Gang

Had been interested in setting up a home-theater for the last 4 years. Was not interested in just making do. Circumstances prevented me from assembling an Ideal setup.

Thankfully, I've now gotten a dedicated room. Got the wiring done eons ago, but forgot to put any outlets for sconces etc!! Grrrr.:p

Came close to setting up my HT a couple years ago, did plenty of research then. Had to abort.
Realized my knowledge was outdated. So, off to the forums I went, and found HiFiVision (why the arbitrary caps?).
Selected a TV (Panasonic G10) after reading stuff in this forum & others, and then went ahead & bought something completely different after getting a sexy deal (Philips 9703/ 42").

Now, have to buy LED highlight luminares, DVD player, HT package, La-Z-Boy / sofa-cum-bed, DTH / IPTV... over the next few months.

And THEN, I think I'll be set to finally watch my beloved Arsenal in full glory.

Comments welcome from all Gooners, and anti-gooners too!

Ciao
Nomdeplume

Re: Nomdeplume from New Delhi, getting into "Feature Creep" while setting up home-the

Hi,
welcome here & pls.post your budget & priorities.

Re: Nomdeplume from New Delhi, getting into "Feature Creep" while setting up home-the

Fellow gooner here.....but about watching them in full glory....how exactly do you plan to do that? All premier league matches are shown in crappy compressed DTH images....so the better your screen, the worse they look. I still enjoy watching Arsenal on my 42" plasma but i need to turn off the 'image quality sensitivity' in my brain for that. I imagine tata sky will launch an HD product in 2010 though, so then maybe there will be some hope .

And out of curiosity, what's the sexy deal you got on the Philips? how much did you pay? How's it doing?

And ya, you want a high quality home theater than LED luminaires and La-Z boys should be much lower priority than a quality blu-ray player, a good AVR and some good speakers. Any budget in mind?

Hello Gang

Selected a TV (Panasonic G10) after reading stuff in this forum & others, and then went ahead & bought something completely different after getting a sexy deal (Philips 9703/ 42").

e

I dunno your preferences but no bar?????:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

So, off to the forums I went, and found HiFiVision (why the arbitrary caps?).

It is not arbitrary. High Fidelity is always represented in short in English as 'HiFi'.

Cheers

Hi Psycho: Happy to meet another footy nut
My responses in Bold

Fellow gooner here.....but about watching them in full glory....how exactly do you plan to do that? All premier league matches are shown in crappy compressed DTH images....so the better your screen, the worse they look. I still enjoy watching Arsenal on my 42" plasma but i need to turn off the 'image quality sensitivity' in my brain for that. I imagine tata sky will launch an HD product in 2010 though, so then maybe there will be some hope .

Agree with u on crappy SD quality. Can only hope for the best. Live telecast of whatever quality is an absolute must for the drama.
Once I have a good HD source and AVR+ Speakers, then I can get box sets of classic matches from the UK & get a better feel of the atmosphere.

And out of curiosity, what's the sexy deal you got on the Philips? how much did you pay? How's it doing?

Got it cheap. Reckon it's being phased out. So, they've done an interesting deal with my co. where they've bartered a few sets for some services from us. Got the co. to issue it to me at an internally adjusted price. Still don't know the final figure. PM me in a week's time.

And ya, you want a high quality home theater than LED luminaires and La-Z boys should be much lower priority than a quality blu-ray player, a good AVR and some good speakers. Any budget in mind?

Can't say I agree. I've noticed that in-room illumination (type, placement, luminosity, controls) make a much bigger impact on "perceived image quality" than anything else.
In fact, I've read up some stuff & requested my Singapore colleagues to bring me some stuff. Will update with pix once I'm done.
also, I intend to start new threads regarding Light Planning for HT's in this forum.

Budget in mind: Rs. 60-70k for AVR + Speakers, Market rate for upconverting DVD and media streamer. No clue reg. India pricing of Lazboy. Get backaches sporadically, so don't want stuff with poor cushioning. Bean bags etc. are absolute no-no's. Will make do with regular chairs (ergonomic designed) until then.

It is very true with proper light arrangements it can make a world of difference, i am having around 10 different option of lights.

The lazy boy recliners are a world apart though they are very expensive, i have one, it is just too good.

V.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back