Norge 1200 Power Amp review

Sachin, heard Nelson has come out with a F6 PASS design. I think you must have already checked on that.

Yes F6 was expected at July this year. I feel F5T is sufficient for most of the homes.It provides decent power for most of the speakers.

Regards,
Sachin

Apk,

many audio gurus in this forum say that the sound signature of Norge is similar to NAD. Since i dont have a NAD, i will not be able to comment.

~Cheers

To my ears,Norge pre,Norge power & Norge speakers are very warm sounding with not much details.Sound was monotonous.But good preamp definitely changes the performance like SSP.So pair correctly.

To my ears,Norge pre,Norge power & Norge speakers are very warm sounding with not much details.Sound was monotonous.But good preamp definitely changes the performance like SSP.So pair correctly.

Hi,
I've heard Norge Power amp with Pass B1 pre and the SQ was fantastic. I believe the Norge pre is weak link, and the reason why the pre-pro combo didn't sound good to Spiro.
Regds,

Yes, Norge power amp is a good amp, VFM. With good pre like pass B1 it was stunning what we heard at previous Pune HiFi meet. Norge pre itself weak link. I have seen internals of that pre. All cheap OPAMPs based filters etc.

I have a Norge 2060. Can I use one of the pre amps that you all are referring to without holding the soldering iron ? I am a finance professional :) so some of your discussions on connecting various circuits come as a bouncer.

I have a Norge 2060. Can I use one of the pre amps that you all are referring to without holding the soldering iron ? I am a finance professional :) so some of your discussions on connecting various circuits come as a bouncer.

Without some DIY skills, pairing your amp with another preamp will not be of much help in improving SQ. You need to bypass the preamp and volume control in Norge 2060 if you want to get the best out of Pass B1. Again this will hardly match the impact of Norge power amp + Pass B1 combo.

FM Murli has modded same amp with SSP.The results are very good.Any repair guy will do it in half n hour.

Regards,
Sachin

Holding soldering iron is fun, it doesn't need any special skill, you just need a little practice, and I tell you, there will be no looking back from there, its that rewarding.
Btw, many audio-DIY enthusiasts are not electronics engineers.
-sann'

Holding soldering iron is fun, it doesn't need any special skill, you just need a little practice, and I tell you, there will be no looking back from there, its that rewarding.
Btw, many audio-DIY enthusiasts are not electronics engineers.
-sann'

+1 to Sandy.This may be the first opportunity to venture into DIY.Most of the HFV members were completely new when they built CNC,SSP or B1. Believe me its not that tough.All you need is little soldering practice.Its fun.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi,

Just had a related query. I am presently using marantz sr5007 avr with monitor audio m series speakers for movies and music. While the detail and clarity in music is fantastic, i am somehow missing my Norge 2060 for stereo. One idea that i had was to use the pre out on the marantz and add a power amp such as Norge for the fronts. Is this idea workable. I went to Norge a few days back and was impresed with the sheer power of the prd pro set up. According to Norge i should not feed the pre out signsl from an avr to an integrated amp since the signal has already passed through a preamp within marantz. Also how are other poerr amps such as Ahuja ?

Hi,

Just had a related query. I am presently using marantz sr5007 avr with monitor audio m series speakers for movies and music. While the detail and clarity in music is fantastic, i am somehow missing my Norge 2060 for stereo. One idea that i had was to use the pre out on the marantz and add a power amp such as Norge for the fronts. Is this idea workable. I went to Norge a few days back and was impresed with the sheer power of the prd pro set up. According to Norge i should not feed the pre out signsl from an avr to an integrated amp since the signal has already passed through a preamp within marantz. Also how are other poerr amps such as Ahuja ?

At the price on offer, the Norge Power amp is a 'sleeper', suggest you go for it.

Thanks Denom, what exactly do you mean by sleeper. Also the marantz is already providing 100 wats per channel so will the incremental power help in such a scenario? Also is it safe to assume that the power amp will generally not add any flavor or coloration of its own. The fronts that I am planning to drive are 91db speakers which have a peak rating of about 150 w- just for info. Thanks

Thanks Denom, what exactly do you mean by sleeper. Also the marantz is already providing 100 wats per channel so will the incremental power help in such a scenario? Also is it safe to assume that the power amp will generally not add any flavor or coloration of its own. The fronts that I am planning to drive are 91db speakers which have a peak rating of about 150 w- just for info. Thanks

Definition of sleeper as found in google "merchandise that is not quickly sold because its value is not immediately recognized."

The above is what I feel describes the Norge Power Amp to a 'T' ;)

As for Colouration from power amp, it is always going to be there, to what degree, is unknown till it is introduced into the chain you have.

As for power ratings of the AVR's, marantz or others, one should always take with a bag of salt :p

Try out the Norge, coz its not going to be a bit hit to your wallet. At the most, you would sell it quite easily on olx/quickr or this forum.

:)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back