Norge 1200 Power Amp review

vin_eme

Frens,

i dont know if i am lucky or its my karma. I was looking for a Pre-Power for fren/colleague, pls refer my prev thread (Norge Concerto Gold or Norge Mosfet 2000). Then i came across this new pre-power from Norge (Norge 1200 Professional Pre & Power Amp). I decided let me get the power amp and build an SSP pre for him.
Ordered the power 1200 at arnd 16k from Pranab. Pls find some of the pics.

But the unfortunate part was that my fren had to leave abroad for long term. He asked me to use it till he returns. :clapping:

Connected amp to my speakers with SSP pre, its a very natural sounding amp. Heavily built and have ample power to drive. Some pics

Front & Back profile
20120925210743.jpg

20120925210644.jpg

Heavy Power supply & Caps
20120925211458.jpg

20120925211449.jpg

Spk Protection ckt
20120925211507.jpg

Amp Board
20120925211441.jpg

20120925211423.jpg

cheers,
Vincent

Nice.....lucky you!!

How does the norge power amp compare to other amplifiers in a similiar price range.....marantz, NAD etc?

Hi Vincent,

Pl post your listening impressions and what speakers did you pair them with.

N.Murali

Nice.....lucky you!!

How does the norge power amp compare to other amplifiers in a similiar price range.....marantz, NAD etc?

Apk,

many audio gurus in this forum say that the sound signature of Norge is similar to NAD. Since i dont have a NAD, i will not be able to comment.

~Cheers

Hi Vincent,

Pl post your listening impressions and what speakers did you pair them with.

N.Murali

Murali, this is currently paired with my Wharfs 9.5. I tried to run this directly from my source (OPPO BDP95 and also my irivier H140). Sounds natural and there's no coloration as such. But when i added the SSP in between, it does elevate the sound signature, more airiness, soundstage & crispness. So a PRE IS A MUST in the audio chain.
Also this is the first time am trying a Norge.

cheers,
Vincent.

Last edited:
Murali, this is currently paired with my Wharfs 9.5. I tried to run this directly from my source (OPPO BDP95 and also my irivier H140). Sounds natural and there's no coloration as such. But when i added the SSP in between, it does elevate the sound signature, more airiness, soundstage & crispness. So a PRE IS A MUST in the audio chain.
Also this is the first time am trying a Norge.

cheers,
Vincent.

Well i have a Sonodyne stereo power amplifier - SPA 202... Very powerful i must say.... (130W clipping in to 8 Ohms & 200W clipping in to 4 Ohms/ each channel) But it is rated 575 VA... How much does this translate in to watts ? Any idea....

Also i planning to add this Norge power amplifier 1200 for my center speaker..... Few doubts though...

Since this is a stereo power amplifier and i intend to use it for my center channel speaker, what happens to the other channel which is not used ?

Will it consume the same power even if one channel of power is not used ? Sorry if i sound really dumb..But just trying to get it clear....

Hi vincent,

There is enough space inside the cabinet that a SSP Preamp , CNC Phono stage along with remote volume control and selector circuit can be added, of course 2 holes less than 10mm have to be drilled for the volume pot and the IR remote window.

Just my 2 cents.

N.Murali

Well i have a Sonodyne stereo power amplifier - SPA 202... Very powerful i must say.... (130W clipping in to 8 Ohms & 200W clipping in to 4 Ohms/ each channel) But it is rated 575 VA... How much does this translate in to watts ? Any idea....

Also i planning to add this Norge power amplifier 1200 for my center speaker..... Few doubts though...

Since this is a stereo power amplifier and i intend to use it for my center channel speaker, what happens to the other channel which is not used ?

Will it consume the same power even if one channel of power is not used ? Sorry if i sound really dumb..But just trying to get it clear....

Hi elangoas

Why dont you consider something from the emotiva stable :

Amplifiers | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers, as

Just my 2 cents.

N.Murali

Hi vincent,

For the SSP Pre and CNC Phono consider nothing less than 49990 or 1612 OPamps. From my experience there is nothing to beat these opamps. BTW what opamp are you using.

N.Murali

Elango,

the way it works is, till you put a load onto the output and a signal is driven into the amp, the power consumption will be at bare minimum. So if you are using only one channel, the power cosumed will be for that channel alone. The other idle channel will consume bare minimum

Hi elango,

I think there are no dealers in India for emotiva as of today . They sell only thro their website. The transportation may cost 30-40% more if imported. You can email them a query and they are very prompt in responding. As for auditon I can show you their mini a X 100 power amp which I am using in my stereo set-up.

N.Murali

Elango,

the way it works is, till you put a load onto the output and a signal is driven into the amp, the power consumption will be at bare minimum. So if you are using only one channel, the power cosumed will be for that channel alone. The other idle channel will consume bare minimum

Thanx for the clarity buddy...An other question...

How much is 575 VA in watts ? I googled, but could not get a conclusive number...Hence the question...

Hi vincent,

For the SSP Pre and CNC Phono consider nothing less than 49990 or 1612 OPamps. From my experience there is nothing to beat these opamps. BTW what opamp are you using.

N.Murali

Murali,

am already on opamp Roll. Started with OPA2134, NE5532, LM4572. Today am recv 49990 from Sachin..Planning to try AD8066AR, OPA2107 as well. Let me see how it goes.

This is very nice Amp. I have doctored one and its VFM. It seems Bajaj Uncle added speaker protection and good PS caps. +1.

Not to say it sounds clean and detailed.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back