Hot Scoop ! Norge Pre-Power Exclusive 1st Look & Review

I got my pre amplifier about 10 days back . The sound quality was good, especially when the volume knob was beyound 9 o'clock position. However I had some problems.

I rarely needed volume knob to be turned beyond 8 o'clock position due to high sensitivity speakers and at this level, the pre amp was giving inconsistent signals to the left channel. The signals were well balanced beyond 9 o'clock.

The volume knob was too loose for my liking with instability in volume control. According to Mr. Bajaj, it was due to remote control motor assembly. So I sent the pre amp back and got the remote assembly removed. The volume knob was no more loose and that issue was resolved but not the inconsistent signal to left channel. I also noticed that

1) Even in switched off position, the pre amp passes some signal to power amp (loud enough to be noticed when standing close to speakers). The volume knob increased the volume even with the pre amp switched off. At 10 o'clock position, I could very well hear the song albeit very much distorted. The sound was never distorted when the pre amp was switched on.

2) When switched on, I could easily hear music even when volume knob was at Minimum position.

I was not comfortable with it because my speakers have high sensitivity (98db/w). May be this problem will not come if speakers have sensitivity less than 90dB/w. Mr. Bajaj told me that these are not major issues as such but could not be rectified. So I had to return the preamp.

It was a pleasure to deal with Mr. Bajaj with prompt replies and he was frank about this product.

Last edited:
I got my pre amplifier about 10 days back . The sound quality was good, especially when the volume knob was beyound 9 o'clock position. However I had some problems.

I rarely needed volume knob to be turned beyond 8 o'clock position due to high sensitivity speakers and at this level, the pre amp was giving inconsistent signals to the left channel. The signals were well balanced beyond 9 o'clock.

The volume knob was too loose for my liking with instability in volume control. According to Mr. Bajaj, it was due to remote control motor assembly. So I sent the pre amp back and got the remote assembly removed. The volume knob was no more loose and that issue was resolved but not the inconsistent signal to left channel. I also noticed that

1) Even in switched off position, the pre amp passes some signal to power amp (loud enough to be noticed when standing close to speakers). The volume knob increased the volume even with the pre amp switched off. At 10 o'clock position, I could very well hear the song albeit very much distorted. The sound was never distorted when the pre amp was switched on.

2) When switched on, I could easily hear music even when volume knob was at Minimum position.

I was not comfortable with it because my speakers have high sensitivity (98db/w). May be this problem will not come if speakers have sensitivity less than 90dB/w. Mr. Bajaj told me that these are not major issues as such but could not be rectified. So I had to return the preamp.

It was a pleasure to deal with Mr. Bajaj with prompt replies and he was frank about this product.

Which speakers you are using?

Yes. They are Ahuja full range drivers and they are directly connected to amplifier without any intervening filter/XO. Like typical PA speakers (where the idea is to get maximum loudness with the available watts) they have very high sensitivity. I was thinking to pair them with one of the Viren's amps. Just waiting for a chance to get taste of Tube sound before I take plunge.

I have a query , that how does Mr Shyam incorporates the remote control in NORGE 1000 amps?

As seen in the pics in first post, the norge 2000 amp seems to have the remote connected, but then it doesnt seems to have TONE DEFEAT feature at the same time.

I have a question that if we go with the remote control option then will we loose the TONE DEFEAT button?

Also, on his website , Norge remote is shown as an accessory, with a white box having RCA in and out plugs and a Remote control NORGE RCU 400. What does this accessory means ? If we go by this remote option then how will it work ?

And if we buy the amp with remote integrated then will MR shyam incorporate the remote controller system inside the chassis of Norge 1000 amp, OR will he provide one standard NORGE 1000 amp + one Norge remote accessory which is shown on his website.

Please clear my doubts , whosoever is sure about it.

Can somebody compare SQ differences between Norge Pre-Power combo vs Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp. ??

I liked Yamaha AS-300 over Norge prepower.The cause can be the pre which is very basic.One FM used SSP & found improvement over Norge pre.
I found Norge combo as very warm(with norge towers).Yamaha was musical paired with Polk at avenue meeting.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back