now Play HD(1080p)movies on CRT

spirovious

Hi friends,

Now its time to enjoy HD movies on CRT with simple trick.Don't get wowed.Its kind of compramising with scale,but still useful.
It is for those who still dont have HDTV(like me).Those who have may ignore.Many member must be knowing this.Those who don't ,read carefully.

Requirement=
PC/LAPTOP with video out & 5.1ana out SC(even HDMI),
VLC(9.9 or higher) or similar mediaplayer,
AVR with 5.1ana input (or HDMI processing AVR),
HD movies(mkv) & CRT

my setup=
Intel E4500 CPU,945 MB,onbrd SC(realtek),GC nvidia7300,
1GB ram, WD500gb HDD, 21CRT(new replaced local circuit)

If you try to play HD clips directly on CRT from PC,you cant see any thing except hear audio.So follow the 5steps & enjoy....

Step1= Configed nvidia Driver with Dualview,so that I can view mkv on CRT.
(I am using 'S'video to video cable)

Step2= now config CRT resolution carefully.
(My CRT supports upto 1024X768 input)

Caution:You need to check resolution from lower(320X200) & increase gradually.If some thing goes wrong,immediately turn-off TV
(keep remote in hand)to avoid damage or read manual before do. Ideally resolution upto 640X480 shld be supported by CRT.

Reason to keep high CRT resolution is to get good downscaled PQ.

Step3= Now lower your PC monitor's resolution & keep it same as CRT
(say 640X480)

Step4= Set aud.driver speaker option to 5.1 (7.1) sothat to get surr out.

Step5= Now play mkv in VLC,move the player to extreme Rt of PC monitor
sothat you can view it on CRT.

In this way,you can enjoy HD movies on CRT with HT setup.I played Wall-E 1080p,WMV 1080p clips & playing perfect.:yahoo:

Thanks: Special thanks to Vinay,HemantWaghe who shared HD movies so that I can try on my setup.

Final thoughts: So in this way who dont have HD display,can evjoy HD(1080p) movies on CRT.
You may say that vlc show downscled picture ,but atleast one can enjoy until HDTV comes.Even HD-ready tvs do the same,downscaling 1080p to 720p,I m doing it further.
I am happy though.Now its you turn.If you have similar setup,try this carefully.I dont know if ATI supports in this way.So try & pls.report.
Finally if you really like the post,then what are you waiting for ,just click on "THANKS" below.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a Panny Tau 29 CRT. At a loss to know how to know the default resolution of my Tv and how to change it. Any ideas?

cheers,
sri

Hi,

I have a Panny Tau 29 CRT. At a loss to know how to know the default resolution of my Tv and how to change it. Any ideas?

cheers,
sri

If you read Step3 & caution,you can guess whats max resolution supported by TAU.
Start with lower & increase step by step.Or read manual for details.

If 720p is supported(read componet input section of your manual)then It shld support 1024 X 768 easily.Some TV componet input support 1080i

Hi Spiro..

I have been doing this for the last 3-4 months and got a GC separately just for this purpose. However, if your post was there earlier it would have been easier for me to setup ;) .. I had to learn it the hard way, by checking each and every option to watch movies on the TV.. but yes, you are right.. the quality is way different on the CRT and much better than my 22" TFT monitor.

My Comp has the following setup :

Core2Quad 2.4, Intel DG33FB, 4GB RAM, GE nVidia 9600 512 GDDR3, M-audio 2496 (Analog out)..22" Dell TFT.

I have quite a few 720p and 1080p mkv files (and am still downloading a few more) which i did find to be very stunning on the CRT rather than my disp. The colors are more vivid and bright.

I am using the S-video <--> Component cable at the moment.. i have tried to use the DVI to Component.. but somehow i am getting the right resolution on my monitor.. I have dual DVI ( DVI-I and DVI-D ), not sure if i am using the right configuration.. dint get time as i got lazy after being able to watch it using s-video/component...:eek:hyeah:

What connection are you using,i saw that you mentioned s-video -. to what connector on the TV ?

But, really good that you put this post on the forum.. can really help many people who want to try this option. :clapping:

Hi Spiro..

I have quite a few 720p and 1080p mkv files (and am still downloading a few more) which i did find to be very stunning on the CRT rather than my disp. The colors are more vivid and bright.

This is not possible. What resolution have you configured for the Dell TFT?
The picture on Dell should obviously have much more clarity and depth.
You are doing something wrong somewhere.

If you try to play HD clips directly on CRT from PC,you cant see any thing except hear audio.So follow the 5steps & enjoy....

Dunno what the fuss is about ... I have a dell 24" tft and a sony 17" crt capable of 1280x1024. I have played 720p and 1080p videos easily on the CRT. Of course without the standard HD resolution, I get black bars top and bottom. :)

But the point is I never knew CRTs would not display HiDef clips within their native resolution?? :confused:

I use Totem media player on XUbuntu.

Cheers

This is not possible. What resolution have you configured for the Dell TFT?
The picture on Dell should obviously have much more clarity and depth.
You are doing something wrong somewhere.

Hi Reju,

The resolution set on the TFT is 1680x1050 which is the max and at 32bit.
Maybe i need to change the color settings, which i havent tweaked much to be honest.

Dunno what the fuss is about ... I have a dell 24" tft and a sony 17" crt capable of 1280x1024. I have played 720p and 1080p videos easily on the CRT. Of course without the standard HD resolution, I get black bars top and bottom. :)

But the point is I never knew CRTs would not display HiDef clips within their native resolution?? :confused:

I use Totem media player on XUbuntu.

Cheers

Actually this thread is all about playing HD movies from PC on your CRT TV display. Am I right spirovious?

CRT/LCD Monitor will obviously playback from PC as per default connection and PQ will be better too.

Actually this thread is all about playing HD movies from PC on your CRT TV display. Am I right spirovious?

CRT/LCD Monitor will obviously playback from PC as per default connection and PQ will be better too.

Yes ,I posted this specially for old CRTs which dont have component input,supports only SD format.If you play directly HD clips from PC,CRT wont show any picture.So the trck.

TFT shld work better than CRT for HD.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back