Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

For very few songs YouTube in shield is supporting 5.1 after the latest update but quality is pathetic

How to unlock GeForce now in India?
The service is not officially available in India. If you still want to check it out, there are a lot of youtube videos/articles explaining the process using a VPN. I tried playing Witcher 3 via their cloud streaming service but there was a noticeable lag(100mbps connection). Not a good experience.

I already have a 2tb external powered HDD, will check it out this week. I just watched a 3 gb file which had no issues even after I paused for 10 min.
Cheers,
Sid
I have ordered a zidoo z9x, there is a lot of advise that for locally stored files this is a better option, and also the picture quality etc. are better, so I am curious.
Cheers,
Sid

I have ordered a zidoo z9x, there is a lot of advise that for locally stored files this is a better option, and also the picture quality etc. are better, so I am curious.
Cheers,
Sid
It's a good purchase. Iam using zidooz10pro .

It's a good purchase. Iam using zidooz10pro .
How is the zidoo built in media player? The biggest issue I have with the nvidia is the fact that it does not have a built in media player - we have to rely on Kodi etc. IMO both don't synergize very well. It would have been better if Nvidia developed their own media player.
Cheers,
Sid

How is the zidoo built in media player? The biggest issue I have with the nvidia is the fact that it does not have a built in media player - we have to rely on Kodi etc. IMO both don't synergize very well. It would have been better if Nvidia developed their own media player.
Cheers,
Sid
Once set i think kodi is a fantastic player, you have issues after initial setup?

Once set i think kodi is a fantastic player, you have issues after initial setup?
I don't think the issue is with kodi per se. It has more to do with the interface with the hardware of the unit it's running on. For example: Nvidia shield has its own setting on fps - then kodi has its fps setting. One can try auto but many times I have noticed lags/dropouts etc. Same for color/gamma etc. I feel these issues are causing picture quality issues which lead to frustration in user experience. Anyways it is just my opinion at present, I will get the the zidoo unit and try it out and then pass a verdict.
Cheers,
Sid

Cheers,
Sid
I don't have experience with the Shield, but the Zidoo Z9X is stellar. I bought one earlier this year for purely local file playback and I'm very happy with it. The upscaling and Dolby Vision playback from even 720p movies is really good (on a 55" TV). The thing is, don't count on it for streaming at all.

I don't think the issue is with kodi per se. It has more to do with the interface with the hardware of the unit it's running on. For example: Nvidia shield has its own setting on fps - then kodi has its fps setting. One can try auto but many times I have noticed lags/dropouts etc. Same for color/gamma etc. I feel these issues are causing picture quality issues which lead to frustration in user experience. Anyways it is just my opinion at present, I will get the the zidoo unit and try it out and then pass a verdict.
Cheers,
Sid
Further to this, today I finally set up my media PC with a nvidia GTX 1050Ti card. Using Jriver MC26 as the player with Red october HQ settings the picture quality on stored files is miles ahead of the shield with Kodi player. HDR is so much better, brightness. contrast, color saturation etc. Looking forward to the Zidoo now.
I will use shield only for streaming now.
Cheers,
Sid

Further to this, today I finally set up my media PC with a nvidia GTX 1050Ti card. Using Jriver MC26 as the player with Red october HQ settings the picture quality on stored files is miles ahead of the shield with Kodi player. HDR is so much better, brightness. contrast, color saturation etc. Looking forward to the Zidoo now.
I will use shield only for streaming now.
Cheers,
Sid
Have you experimented madvr. It gave excellent results when I tested it in my system.Looking forward on your feedback on zidoo vs shield.

Have you experimented madvr. It gave excellent results when I tested it in my system.Looking forward on your feedback on zidoo vs shield.
Yes I am currently working with Jriver mc 26 and Madvr settings. So far Jriver's red October HQ for Madvr seems to be the best simply because I haven't tried all the options on Madvr. There are just too many things to tweak, and TBH one will need some kind of feedback device like a spyder
https://spyderx.datacolor.com/blog/how-to-calibrate-a-front-projector/, very difficult to do it subjectively.
Maybe down the road I will do this, but right now RO HQ in Jriver is miles ahead of the shield.
Cheers,
Sid

Yes I am currently working with Jriver mc 26 and Madvr settings. So far Jriver's red October HQ for Madvr seems to be the best simply because I haven't tried all the options on Madvr. There are just too many things to tweak, and TBH one will need some kind of feedback device like a spyder
https://spyderx.datacolor.com/blog/how-to-calibrate-a-front-projector/, very difficult to do it subjectively.
Maybe down the road I will do this, but right now RO HQ in Jriver is miles ahead of the shield.
Cheers,
Sid
Display also plays a major part. Mine is an oled and it already has good tone mapping so the difference was clearly noticeable but was not miles ahead of the shield in my setup. Also i find a HTPC highly inconvenient compared to a media player. Well anyways lets not talk to much about madvr and i am also in a dilemma to switch to zidoo. Planning to get zidoo9x so looking forward for your feedback

So wanted to get an app for watching tamil movies and subscribed to premium plan in AHA as it supports 4k and dolby 5.1. Huge disappointment as it’s only playing 2.0 audio. Shield has become absolute garbage for OTT. I am planning to get Apple TV soon

Attachments

• CBABF40A-3717-456F-8CC3-61239AB1AA49.jpeg
    CBABF40A-3717-456F-8CC3-61239AB1AA49.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 10
I don't have experience with the Shield, but the Zidoo Z9X is stellar. I bought one earlier this year for purely local file playback and I'm very happy with it. The upscaling and Dolby Vision playback from even 720p movies is really good (on a 55" TV). The thing is, don't count on it for streaming at all.
Hi,
Can you please list on why Zidoo Z9x is bad for streaming? I was considering going for it, tired of Nvidia launching a new shield..don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon

Hi,
Can you please list on why Zidoo Z9x is bad for streaming? I was considering going for it, tired of Nvidia launching a new shield..don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon
It doesn’t support OTT apps. It’s a media player for local play back

So wanted to get an app for watching tamil movies and subscribed to premium plan in AHA as it supports 4k and dolby 5.1. Huge disappointment as it’s only playing 2.0 audio. Shield has become absolute garbage for OTT. I am planning to get Apple TV soon
Sad reality is Aha OTT is not playing 5.1 even in apple tv 4k 2022.

Sad reality is Aha OTT is not playing 5.1 even in apple tv 4k 2022.
Thanks for confirming. I checked with a fm who has 2021 Apple TV and it supports 5.1 in pcm and not dolby. I checked earc using the app in my LG c9 tv and it supports 5.1 dolby audio. Not only aha but zee5 is also supporting 5.1 through earc. So going to use tv apps instead of shield.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back