Old Assamese Film and Folk Music online

skroderider

I recently came across this project sponsored by the film studio Jyoti Chitrabon (based in Guwahati), which is attempting to digitize thousands of old Assamese songs that exist only in vinyl records and tape cassettes in personal collections.

https://www.time8.in/new-axl-hazarika-in-search-of-notes-from-past/

A sample playlist is here -

This was a very welcome project given that it's not easy to find Assamese music - whether film or folk - from before the 90s. Even CDs are scarce and the streaming services have a woefully small collection. I find this to be a useful effort. However, I am not so sure of the quality of the uploaded music. Some of them sound too harsh when I compare them with the same songs that I have on vinyl. But overall, it's a treasure trove.

Note: I have no affiliation with any of the people involved, just thought of posting this here to disseminate this to a wider audience.

I recently came across this project sponsored by the film studio Jyoti Chitrabon (based in Guwahati), which is attempting to digitize thousands of old Assamese songs that exist only in vinyl records and tape cassettes in personal collections.

https://www.time8.in/new-axl-hazarika-in-search-of-notes-from-past/

A sample playlist is here -

This was a very welcome project given that it's not easy to find Assamese music - whether film or folk - from before the 90s. Even CDs are scarce and the streaming services have a woefully small collection. I find this to be a useful effort. However, I am not so sure of the quality of the uploaded music. Some of them sound too harsh when I compare them with the same songs that I have on vinyl. But overall, it's a treasure trove.

Note: I have no affiliation with any of the people involved, just thought of posting this here to disseminate this to a wider audience.
A long time back (pre-internet) I heard a mystic singing with a single string instrument near Shantiniketan (Bolpur). I didn't understand a word he sang then, but it was so beautiful and a haunting melody. Recently I came to know that they are Baul mystics of Bengal and North East and many folk songs are influenced by them. Several of Tagore's works are influenced by them. Does Assamese folk also follow that tradition? Curious to know. Thanks.

A long time back (pre-internet) I heard a mystic singing with a single string instrument near Shantiniketan (Bolpur). I didn't understand a word he sang then, but it was so beautiful and a haunting melody. Recently I came to know that they are Baul mystics of Bengal and North East and many folk songs are influenced by them. Several of Tagore's works are influenced by them. Does Assamese folk also follow that tradition? Curious to know. Thanks.
I don't claim to be an expert, but from my limited knowledge there are various sub-genres in Assamese folk music like Borgeet (literally translates to "elder songs"), composed by Srimanta Sankardev in the 14th century. Another sub genre is Goalparia lokogeet - very evocative songs often sung with a two stringed instrument (dotara, as opposed to the ektara - the single stringed one that you are referring to). One of my uncles used to sing this subgenre on All India Radio many years ago, and whenever his voice used to come on the radio - my dad would invariably point out "that's your uncle!"

Here is an example of this type -

I don't claim to be an expert, but from my limited knowledge there are various sub-genres in Assamese folk music like Borgeet (literally translates to "elder songs"), composed by Srimanta Sankardev in the 14th century. Another sub genre is Goalparia lokogeet - very evocative songs often sung with a two stringed instrument (dotara, as opposed to the ektara - the single stringed one that you are referring to). One of my uncles used to sing this subgenre on All India Radio many years ago, and whenever his voice used to come on the radio - my dad would invariably point out "that's your uncle!"

Here is an example of this type -
OK, thanks. That’s interesting! The beautiful folk song you shared was used by Rituparno Ghosh & Debjyoti Mishra in Hindi movie “Raincoat”

Last edited:
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
I love Bengali songs, especially Tagore’s compositions. Though I don’t know the language, I use internet translation, which had increased the enjoyment further :)
This is a more popular one of Tagore’s “Amar Sonar Bangla” again composed in Baul folk tradition

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back