Onkyo AVR owners thread

Hi Floks,

I am a newbee in AV systems & looking for your openion as planning to setup my first AV home theater. I have narrowed down my choice between Onkyo 686 vs Yamaha 585 on my price range. I would be getting the receiver from UK & will bring into india in a year during R2I.
However while checking into Onkyo india site, found that no SERVICE, no warranty for international purchase. I am fine to take risk of no warranty since it's only for 1 year & consideing to the price diff factor between India Vs UK, however bit sceptical of no service statement (even on paid basis). Did you guys ever faced any issues getting the service for an international purchase? Also which model would you guys suggest for to go ahead with ( between Onkyo vs Yamaha)?

Really difficult to find a good place to demo in Bangalore. Lol some guys out right refuse or want to charge.
In fact most of the decent HT shops should let you demo. I was in Bangalore myself hence can say with experience.
Most of the times if you lug your amp along, they know you are a serious purchaser.
However, if you go to a HT supermarket (that is what I call them) they won't take any interest, especially the ones selling samsung, LG, Sony types systems and cranking the volume up and calling everything '5.1'! :)

In fact most of the decent HT shops should let you demo. I was in Bangalore myself hence can say with experience.
Most of the times if you lug your amp along, they know you are a serious purchaser.
However, if you go to a HT supermarket (that is what I call them) they won't take any interest, especially the ones selling samsung, LG, Sony types systems and cranking the volume up and calling everything '5.1'! :)
I'm talking about the Hifi HT shops. A couple of them refused...Where did you go?

Hi Floks,

I am a newbee in AV systems & looking for your openion as planning to setup my first AV home theater. I have narrowed down my choice between Onkyo 686 vs Yamaha 585 on my price range. I would be getting the receiver from UK & will bring into india in a year during R2I.
However while checking into Onkyo india site, found that no SERVICE, no warranty for international purchase. I am fine to take risk of no warranty since it's only for 1 year & consideing to the price diff factor between India Vs UK, however bit sceptical of no service statement (even on paid basis). Did you guys ever faced any issues getting the service for an international purchase? Also which model would you guys suggest for to go ahead with ( between Onkyo vs Yamaha)?
Hii
I got my Onkyo 609 from Amazon Germany, in 2012 when they were offering Int Shipping for just 40Euros. And the price diff was abtr 20k in India.
Luckily, till date its functioning well, without any issues. And I have been using it in my living room, for daily TV viewing n HT.
Warranty is just for 1 year. So if you are getting it for a cheaper price Go for it. I have even seen Indian Denon Recievers going bad within a year. So you cant definitely say, what will happen. But generally these devices are of Good Built, and should work without any issues.

Hi Sandesh, I can vouch for the Castle Knight 2s. Extremely good speakers, much better than the ones you listed but at a slight premium. They were a steal at 30k in hifimart but the offer is over it seems.

Yes they pair well with Onkyo. Atleast my 875 drives them very well. The SQ is lot lot better than Wharf 220 and Mission LX3 which I have.

My onkyo 609 is not starting up. While pressing the power on button on the unit there s some click click sound but it doesn't power up. Yesterday once it started by again switched off after 2 minutes. Now same issue. Click click sound while powering on the unit

Any help would be highly appreciated. I m based on Guwahati Assam

My onkyo 609 is not starting up. While pressing the power on button on the unit there s some click click sound but it doesn't power up. Yesterday once it started by again switched off after 2 minutes. Now same issue. Click click sound while powering on the unit

Any help would be highly appreciated. I m based on Guwahati Assam
Is your problem solved and if yes how ?Same problem happened with my onkyo receiver 2 days back.Planning to show it to a local electrician as I don't have any authorised centre at my place.Hope it's get sorted out.Anybody faced with similar problem can guide us.

I am using Onkyo 5300 with 5.1 speakers and I am more than happy with it.

Recently with a new input device I changed some settings without writing down old values and it does not sound that good now. Can someone suggest me changes please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 6
I am using Onkyo 5300 with 5.1 speakers and I am more than happy with it.

Recently with a new input device I changed some settings without writing down old values and it does not sound that good now. Can someone suggest me changes please.

Thanks.
Usually changing speaker distance or selecting amp config(no of speakers) do change sound quality. Also crossover and speaker config(large/small) can change sound. Try to recollect.

Usually changing speaker distance or selecting amp config(no of speakers) do change sound quality. Also crossover and speaker config(large/small) can change sound. Try to recollect.
Thanks.

But I am not able to recollect previous settings. I tried various combinations but something is missing. :rolleyes:

These days, I have started to prefer my PC (27" monitor) with Swans M10 speakers more than my my primary TV. :p

If anyone can suggest me some settings/changes, that will be really great.

Is your problem solved and if yes how ?Same problem happened with my onkyo receiver 2 days back.Planning to show it to a local electrician as I don't have any authorised centre at my place.Hope it's get sorted out.Anybody faced with similar problem can guide us.
I couriered my receiver to the Onkyo service center in Delhi (google them). They repaired and couriered it back. Repair was ~4K; courier about the same. Your rates might vary, but if total <10K, it is still worth it. Given the amount of testing/calibration/custom parts needed to fix this, this is not a DIY repair kind of electronics (I tried, I have the skillz, still no-go)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back