Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

25K as festival offer? Some of our forum members have bought if for 22.5K without any festival offer. 25K should be the price without any offers. You should bargain and try to get it for around 23K.

Hey friends,
Where can I find Onkyo HTS-3400 in Pune? All dealers I visited had 3300.

Additionally when I auditioned HTS3300 and Yamaha YHT294 (multiple times), Yamaha sounded much better. Following are the issues I found with Onkyo:
- Weak bass compared to Yamaha(it has active sub)
- The Sub vibrated so much, it was adding noise and it was moving places on the floor. Is there any solution to this?
- The speaker bodies were made of cheap looking glossy plastic
- One thing I found better in Onkyo was the ability to carry HD audio.

Onkyo owners/fans do you have any comments on this? I'm kind of inclined to buy Yamaha even if there is a BD player offered with Onkyo.

Guys, Please suggest where can I find & audition HTS3400 in Pune. I checked with most major dealers (Chroma, Ezone, Vijay), all of them are offering 3300; When I went to AVxelence it was closed.
Moreover when I auditioned Onkyo HTS3300 along with Yamaha YHT294, I was much impressed by Yamaha; I found following issues with Onkyo 3300:
- Bass was weak; (probably since it has a passive sub)
- with a high volume the sub was vibrating madly & it was moving places on the floor
- although the sub has a nice wooden finish, rest of the speakers have cheap looking glossy plastic body
- However Onkyo 3400 has HD sound carrying capability; which probably Yamaha YHT294 doesn't have.
Onkyo owners/fans, please share your comments on above;
going by my experience, I'm inclined towards Yamaha; but want to audition 3400 before finalizing.

As far as I read on the forum, 3400 sound is same as 3300. With respect 3300 I find bass is boomy. or try to buy only receiver from the package and buy speakers seperatly.

Please check with reliance digital. they said it will be available by this week end. it was available with Mahavior Electronic @ Camp and Avexcellence as well. I had auditioned few weeks back in Mahavior Electronics.

Regards,
Prajit.

I registered on OnkyoIndia website and they called me up themselves and gave the address in Hyderabad. The Onkyo showroom here quoted me exact 25k including installation. I suggest you to also register your number on the website and send sms from your mobile to textomer. Textomer Service

They should call you up for details in Pune.

I bought for 24k from ebay alongwith a 500gb hard disk as a gift. Superb deal guys, do check it out and sound is amazing. Delivery was prompt by tnt.

Does the 3400 come with time alignment?
My el cheapo Philips DVD Player has it.

Or is it that time alignment is a feature of DVD or BLU RAY Players and not HTIB AVRs?

Onkyo HTS-3400 is a great package at 25K price range.The only cons is that the sub is passive.Unnecessary vibrations caused by the sub can be eliminated by placing it on a carpet or something similar like a mat.I am buying a higher end receiver with active sub connectivity since I will be getting one from aboard.If anyone interested to buy this 2 month old, rarely used system (with free optic cable) for 21K in HYD, plz let me know.

Hi guys,
am new here and also to the avr concept. i have been reading about AVRs lately and have found quite useful articles on this forum. after reading many of such articles i have decided to go for the Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1 system.

As i am new to AVRs i have some basic questions regarding this specific model and i thought it would be better to post it here rather than start a new thread for it. i request u all to please help me out with these:

1) Does this model have Pro Logic feature which can upconvert 2.0 (stereo) to virtual 5.1 listening? (in its manual it IS mentioned as one of the listening modes but it is no where mentioned on the site in its specs section and therefore it is bothering me.)
Update: this site also clearly mentions that it does have Pro Logic II (http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product/home-theater-systems/onkyo-ht-s3400/34647537)

2) Are all the HDMI IN ports 1080p compatible? if i connect a component which is outputting 1080p then will this avr be able to reproduce 1080p bit-by-bit through its HDMI OUT or will there be some loss in quality?

3) Does it support Dolby-TrueHD and DTS-MA via HDMI INs? because that is the only reason i am choosing it instead of sony bdv e880 which does not allow it via HDMI IN, a big con if i wanna watch something from laptop having DTS-MA.

4) This model does not have ethernet connectivity, does that really matter?

also please let me know guys if am missing on something....and also if this model has some serious lackings.

Thanks

Last edited:
@shobhitk:

1. Almost all avrs support dolby prologic, dts neo etc for converting 2.0 channel audio to 5.1. Onkyo 3400 also supports them.

2. All the HDMI inputs are 1080p, 3D compatible. However you won't get output through HDMI out, if you use component inputs or composite inputs as this receiver does not support HDMI upconversion. You will need to use the HDMI inputs for that.

3. This receiver supports Dolby-TrueHD and DTS-MA. HD audio are supported over HDMI only.

4. You don't need network capability for common use. Such AVRs are very costly.

One thing this htib lacks is the active subwoofer support which means you can't upgrade to a better active sub later. Take a demo and see whether you are satisfied with the subwoofer performance.

thanks baiju for the timely help. i have read about passive and active subs. and after reading numerous reviews on this forum i am satisfied that passive is more than enough for me....usually people here are dialing down their subs on s3400 to make it less boomy :) that is a welcome sign.

as for upgrading to active subs, i remember that i had read on some forum that we can plug active subs to this avr...just out of curiosity i would like to know whether theres some problem in connecting an active sub to it and plugging it for a separate power source...will it harm the avr or/and the sub?

also after a close perusal i found that theres no Pro Logic IIz, the newer feature which adds 2 additional height channels to add depth to the surround sound. but would that REALLY make a difference? i think its not worth to spend additional 20k for adding this minor feature.

baiju, one more thing. i just noticed that u said that HD audio is possible only on HDMI. but i thought that it was also available over optical spdif, because i was going to connect my dth stb's optical out to avr's optical in which is carrying dd plus 5.1.

so will it not work over optical spdif?:sad:

baiju, one more thing. i just noticed that u said that HD audio is possible only on HDMI. but i thought that it was also available over optical spdif, because i was going to connect my dth stb's optical out to avr's optical in which is carrying dd plus 5.1.

so will it not work over optical spdif?:sad:

By HD audio I meant Dolby-TrueHD and DTS-MA for which HDMI is a must. The 5.1 audio of your STB is not HD audio, it is Dolby Digital for which you can use the optical or coaxial connection. So go ahead and purchase your dream HT.:licklips:

i am also interested in buying s3400 but yesterday i spoke to htstore bangalore and they suggested that i go for denon 1312xp as it has active sub price approx 31000/- . now i am confused. pl advice!!

aah what a relief!..thanks mate.
so i'll be connecting my stb to avr via hdmi and then avr to tv via hdmi and for audio it would be stb's spdif to avr's optical in.
Now do i have to change some setting in avr so that it fetches the video via hdmi input BUT the audio through optical? or will it do it all be itself?

thanks

aah what a relief!..thanks mate.
so i'll be connecting my stb to avr via hdmi and then avr to tv via hdmi and for audio it would be stb's spdif to avr's optical in.
Now do i have to change some setting in avr so that it fetches the video via hdmi input BUT the audio through optical? or will it do it all be itself?

thanks

The connection you gave is correct.

STB HDMI out > AVR HDMI in
AVR HDMI out > TV HDMI in

For surround audio you can connect the SPDIF out of your STB to one of the SPDIF in of the AVR. Then you can assign this spdif input to the HDMI in of the avr where you will be connecting the STB.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back