Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

The connection you gave is correct.

STB HDMI out > AVR HDMI in
AVR HDMI out > TV HDMI in

For surround audio you can connect the SPDIF out of your STB to one of the SPDIF in of the AVR. Then you can assign this spdif input to the HDMI in of the avr where you will be connecting the STB.

Hi, one more help pls. on the above set up, how to connect bluray player. Can you keep bluray player connected to tv simultaneously when stb is connected to tv. If so how. Expert opinion pls?

The connection you gave is correct.

STB HDMI out > AVR HDMI in
AVR HDMI out > TV HDMI in

For surround audio you can connect the SPDIF out of your STB to one of the SPDIF in of the AVR. Then you can assign this spdif input to the HDMI in of the avr where you will be connecting the STB.

Why, HDMI does not handle surround audio??

Hi, one more help pls. on the above set up, how to connect bluray player. Can you keep bluray player connected to tv simultaneously when stb is connected to tv. If so how. Expert opinion pls?

Your AVR accepts more than one HDMI input I suppose. You have to just switch between the sources.

Onkyo 3400 has 4 HMDI inputs to which you can connect your HD STB, BR Player, HD Media player etc. It has one HDMI output which you connect to the TV. You can select which device you want to watch using the remote control.

Guys,

I am looking out for movable wall mounting brackets for the Onkyo HTS-3400 speakers. I am finding it difficult to get as speakers do not have threading at the back as those have only key hole for hanging on the wall which is fixed and can't moved.

Any idea where I could get those in Mumbai ?

i was also going to order an SPDIF optical audio cable. i had a simple query. should i go for 1 meter, 2 meter or 3 meter length? i am asking this because i was thinking that a long cable might disrupt the signal and it might be unable to pass through correctly because of higher attenuation...i was wondering whether this is true for optical cables or not...please guide.

also should i go for normal non-branded cable OR something branded like Belkin etc.?

Last edited:
i was also going to order an SPDIF optical audio cable. i had a simple query. should i go for 1 meter, 2 meter or 3 meter length? i am asking this because i was thinking that a long cable might disrupt the signal and it might be unable to pass through correctly because of higher attenuation...i was wondering whether this is true for optical cables or not...please guide.

also should i go for normal non-branded cable OR something branded like Belkin etc.?

If your STB has coaxial then use it. For optical always invest in a good brand. I read somewhere in this forum that glass optical cables are the best.

http://www.hifivision.com/wanted/18652-optical-glass-cable.html

Another useful thread - http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/15204-audio-droupout-while-connecting-through-optical-cable.html

Belkin 6 feet Optical Fiber Digital Sound Audio Cable | eBay

those were helpful articles, but glass ofc seems to be too costly...i think i will go for the belkin one...they atleast have a name and so they should be better than the non branded ones i hope.

i was thinking which port should i use to connect the HDMI from my laptop to AVR's HDMI INs, as the TV/SAT would remain permanently occupied by the stb. will it make a difference if i plug it in bluray or may be cd in?

i was thinking which port should i use to connect the HDMI from my laptop to AVR's HDMI INs, as the TV/SAT would remain permanently occupied by the stb. will it make a difference if i plug it in bluray or may be cd in?

You can use any HDMI input for connecting the laptop. There is no difference between the different HDMI inputs.

oh thats much of a relief!..thanks. i was concerned because i read that for ARC to function we need to have it plugged into the tv/sat slot, so i thought other ports might as well be having some peculiarities.

oh thats much of a relief!..thanks. i was concerned because i read that for ARC to function we need to have it plugged into the tv/sat slot, so i thought other ports might as well be having some peculiarities.
What you are talking about is TV/SAT HDMI IN in the AVR. ARC has nothing to do with HDMI Input ports of the AVR. ARC works on the HDMI OUT of the AVR.
All the HDMI IN in the AVR are identical, they just have different names.

ARC has to do with the HDMI Input port(s) of the TV. In most TVs, specific HDMI Input port(s) is/are assigned for ARC.

I bought for 24k from ebay alongwith a 500gb hard disk as a gift. Superb deal guys, do check it out and sound is amazing. Delivery was prompt by tnt.

Guys,
I visited the Forum Mall, Whitefield, Bangalore. Guess what..the Onkyo store there is also owned by Modern Electronics. There too I was given a quote of Rs.25k and no freebies too :(

I've auditioned the HT-S3400 again. The guy who presented the demo was good. They had another setup for Rs.40k [SKS-HT528 speakers + TX-SR308 A/V reciever] (includes sony Blueray player).
He showed the difference between the HT-S3400 and the above one by playing a music video. It's simply WOW!!. The active SW does deliver a punch.

But finally I have a question. I've recommended HT-S3400 to a friend in Hyderabad and he got it for 22.5K + a HDMI cable free. But I don't seem to receive any similar quote in Bangalore. Is it so difficult to get a competitive price in Bangalore?

thanks,
Ravi

We bangalorians are not getting any offers on Onkyos.
Every time it is on a fixed price of 25K
All those who are getting at 3-4K less are from hydrabad, mumbai, delhi, chennai and coiambatoor.
And i have seen Onkyo only in Modern world.

Edit: Just saw this offer in Ebay 3400 for 23,700.00
New Onkyo Home Theatre 5.1 Channel (HT-S3400) !!!Lowest Price!!! -Warranty | eBay

I have bought HTS-3400 from same seller and it is already shipped on Fri by TNT courier. It should reach by Monday.

Though i bought it for Rs.24000 but I also used voucher for 500GB HDD. I could not get good prices in gurgaon-was quoted 25K, so 24K with bill and warranty and 500 GB HDD worth 2.5K was best deal. You can also have a chat with dealer - Mr. dhruv and buy from ebay.
Donnt know why I have been recommending eveyrbody to go via ebay :)

I have bought HTS-3400 from same seller and it is already shipped on Fri by TNT courier. It should reach by Monday.

Though i bought it for Rs.24000 but I also used voucher for 500GB HDD. I could not get good prices in gurgaon-was quoted 25K, so 24K with bill and warranty and 500 GB HDD worth 2.5K was best deal. You can also have a chat with dealer - Mr. dhruv and buy from ebay.
Donnt know why I have been recommending eveyrbody to go via ebay :)

Thanks guys...Jimmzbond...can you please post details about the package that you got. Obviously we may have to set it up. Also is the wiring provided sufficiently long enough?:eek:

thanks,
Ravi

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back