Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

Guys,
I've recommended HT-S3400 to a friend in Hyderabad and he got it for 22.5K + a HDMI cable free.
thanks,
Ravi

Hey, where in Hyderabad did he get such low offer. The Onkyo dealers I connected with here are asking 25K only. If you can share the details of dealer in Hyderabad, it will be of great help.

Thanks

We bangalorians are not getting any offers on Onkyos.
Every time it is on a fixed price of 25K
All those who are getting at 3-4K less are from hydrabad, mumbai, delhi, chennai and coiambatoor.
And i have seen Onkyo only in Modern world.

Edit: Just saw this offer in Ebay 3400 for 23,700.00
New Onkyo Home Theatre 5.1 Channel (HT-S3400) !!!Lowest Price!!! -Warranty | eBay

Hey buddy, we in Delhi are in the same boat. Your saying that Baglorians have a raw deal is kind of ironic, because I always had the feeling that in Bangalore you have better choices :).

Talking about onkyo, its very difficult to even get a demo for onkyo in Delhi, there is just one official store in Delhi that too in one corner of the city.
In short, Delhiites are as much in a pathetic condition as you are. The "good offers" that some of us are going ga-ga over, are available on the net - as much open to you as to us.
To complete my rant, yesterday I made an effort to go to the onkyo store (35 km from place), took me half an hour to locate it as the onkyo website gave the wrong address (the address they have on their website is actually that of their godown :( ). And finally when I landed at the actual showroom - there was no electricity so I couldn't audition anything :mad: (Obviously that is not their fault) But to add insult to injury they told me S3400 was out of stock. So only thing that was left for me to do was to try and negotiate a price. The salesman made it very clear that their best price was 25000, he said they themselves buy it for 23700 (I don't need to believe everything any salesman says - do I :)) but the crux of the matter is that the best I can get is 25000.

Also while I can't make a completely fair judgment as the whole place was dark due to power failure I mentioned but the store did not impress me it was very-very small like a small shop (again, my bad, I was expecting a swanky large store)
So to conclude - I guess I am back to ebay :sad:

Last edited:
Another related question, what kind of stabilizer/UPS is required, if required at all, for S3400, what wattage etc?

Hey buddy, we in Delhi are in the same boat. Your saying that Baglorians have a raw deal is kind of ironic, because I always had the feeling that in Bangalore you have better choices :).

Talking about onkyo, its very difficult to even get a demo for onkyo in Delhi, there is just one official store in Delhi that too in one corner of the city.
In short, Delhiites are as much in a pathetic condition as you are. The "good offers" that some of us are going ga-ga over, are available on the net - as much open to you as to us.
To complete my rant, yesterday I made an effort to go to the onkyo store (35 km from place), took me half an hour to locate it as the onkyo website gave the wrong address (the address they have on their website is actually that of their godown :( ). And finally when I landed at the actual showroom - there was no electricity so I couldn't audition anything :mad: (Obviously that is not their fault) But to add insult to injury they told me S3400 was out of stock. So only thing that was left for me to do was to try and negotiate a price. The salesman made it very clear that their best price was 25000, he said they themselves buy it for 23700 (I don't need to believe everything any salesman says - do I :)) but the crux of the matter is that the best I can get is 25000.

Also while I can't make a completely fair judgment as the whole place was dark due to power failure I mentioned but the store did not impress me it was very-very small like a small shop (again, my bad, I was expecting a swanky large store)
So to conclude - I guess I am back to ebay :sad:
I have got it delivered yesterday by TNT. Bill will be sent later. Had a chat and he said it will be sent today. So waiting for bill. I am travelling for 2 days so will connect it and update on the performance.
Have fun !!!

Another related question, what kind of stabilizer/UPS is required, if required at all, for S3400, what wattage etc?
I have not connected any UPS/stabilizer. Will check the power ratings of AMP to see the voltage range it can handle. I am not sure if buying Stabilizer makes sense. Definitely UPS will be an overkill .I would rather let my fan work extra 2hours than watch movie for 30 mins :)

Got myself a ONKYO S3400 from muscat for Rs. 14347/-
Was really happy with the buy.
The same day i reached home i set this up in the study room to see how it performs.
I could not even get pass the connecting part.

It does not output COMPONENT via HDMI.
My TATA SKY is not HDMI.
It was disappointing.

It passes only HDMI and 2 COMPOSITE channels via HDMI out.

So I have a Samsung 4series LCD TV, TATASKY and S3400.

How do i connect?
Need audio pass through in standby.
Please let me know a way to work around these three systems.

Last edited:
Got myself a ONKYO S3400 from muscat for Rs. 14347/-
What about customs?

It does not output COMPONENT via HDMI.
My TATA SKY is not HDMI.
It was disappointing.

It passes only HDMI and 2 COMPOSITE channels via HDMI out.

So I have a Samsung 4series LCD TV, TATASKY and S3400.

How do i connect ?
HT-S3400 doesn't convert between video formats.

Since your STB is non HD, so only option is Analog connection. In this case there is no point in adding HT-S3400 to the connection chain for video.

You have two options.

1. Via Composite.
Connect: Tata Sky(Composite Video OUT, Yellow)---->(Composite IN)TV
Connect: Tata Sky(Composite Audio OUT, Red/White)---->(TV/CD IN)HT-S3400

2. Via Component
Connect: Tata Sky(Component OUT, Red/Blue/Green)---->(Component IN)TV

What about customs?

1. Via Composite.

2. Via Component

No customs. It was a 22kg package so I walked out unstopped or questioned.

Well the very purpose of having a AVR is lost with this one.
I have connected it the first way.

The second option is not possible because TATSKY does not have composite out for video. Its just a Component out.

How did you packed the stuff ?
Original Onkyo box (which is huge, and airline may charge ?) or did you unpack & put every stuff in your luggage...?

Hi Ravi

Could you please help me

I ve been to Bajaj Electronics Store ( next to hyd central )
to buy the ONKYO HT S3400, On inquiring price, it was told 25K
and best price is 23.5 K and they are not at all coming down
below 23 K, also offer is for a Diwali scratch coupon which
I find useless, even Bajaj guys arenot willing to scrap that
offer and give me price benefit.

Also there is NO STOCK currently and it will take 10 days to get
it, I have already paid advance 500/=

NEED HELP, please confirm if it was Bajaj electronics showroom.
next to Hyderabad central and also when was the purchase done

Also BAJAJ needs purchase details for the 22.5 K + Free HDMI order
to be able to match price for me. I sent a PM to you can you
plese help me if possible Thanks in advance

Onkyofan

Thanks guys...Jimmzbond...can you please post details about the package that you got. Obviously we may have to set it up. Also is the wiring provided sufficiently long enough?:eek:

thanks,
Ravi

hey bud, standard wiring is about 10 ft for subwoofer, and front 2 speakers and center speaker. For back speakers, they provide 25 ft of wiring.

hi everyone. i have been listening to my new Onkyo HT-S3400 and i must say that it ROCKS!! unparalleled sound...as if am in a PVR! :)

i had some queries regarding it...so guys please help.

1) the product has come with the FM antenna...but am a bit confused. the receiver has a normal aerial antenna type input whereas the FM antenna simply has bare wires (just like the speaker wires). so how do i connect them together?

2) i need to buy wires for my rear surrounds as they are slightly falling short of my requirement. so i just wanted to ask what should i look into for buying new wires....i have heard that gauge is all that matters. so for reference i checked the ones supplied with onkyo and i was surprised to see that they were only 24 AWG ! people everywhere are telling to go for atleast 14 AWG...so am a bit confused here.

also, on ebay the wires are mentioned in only 'gauge' whereas on onkyo wires 'AWG' is used...are these terms one and the same?

looking for guidance...

hi everyone. i have been listening to my new Onkyo HT-S3400 and i must say that it ROCKS!! unparalleled sound...as if am in a PVR! :)

i had some queries regarding it...so guys please help.

1) the product has come with the FM antenna...but am a bit confused. the receiver has a normal aerial antenna type input whereas the FM antenna simply has bare wires (just like the speaker wires). so how do i connect them together?

2) i need to buy wires for my rear surrounds as they are slightly falling short of my requirement. so i just wanted to ask what should i look into for buying new wires....i have heard that gauge is all that matters. so for reference i checked the ones supplied with onkyo and i was surprised to see that they were only 24 AWG ! people everywhere are telling to go for atleast 14 AWG...so am a bit confused here.

also, on ebay the wires are mentioned in only 'gauge' whereas on onkyo wires 'AWG' is used...are these terms one and the same?

looking for guidance...

I can answer your first query - use the white antenna, it has a one bare end and other one has a plug with pin. (not sure why you only got white wire and not the jack. Please refer to "Connectng antenna" section of user manual. you can hang the bare end to some nail/pin on wall. I have set some FM channels and its fun to hear them on onkyo.

I can answer your first query - use the white antenna, it has a one bare end and other one has a plug with pin. (not sure why you only got white wire and not the jack. Please refer to "Connectng antenna" section of user manual. you can hang the bare end to some nail/pin on wall. I have set some FM channels and its fun to hear them on onkyo.

^
I have left the white wire coiled (haven't opened/unwound it), it is still giving great reception :D

^^
just attach the connector from the pin hole side to the back of the receiver at the socket marked FM antenna :p

Oh i was getting confused with the AM antenna as FM antenna, :) Yes i have received the FM connector pin antenna and i have attached it.....havent uncoiled the wire but still the output is mesmerizing!! sound is almost similar to CD quality :)

also, i need to buy wires for my rear surrounds as they are slightly falling short of my requirement. so i just wanted to ask what should i look into for buying new wires....i have heard that gauge is all that matters. so for reference i checked the ones supplied with onkyo and i was surprised to see that they were only 24 AWG ! people everywhere are telling to go for atleast 14 AWG...so am a bit confused here.

Last edited:
I have bought 3400 about a few months back but never got a chance to post the review comments, not that I am a big audiophile :)

I have the following equipments added (all using composite cables)

• WD Live Plus - connected via BD/DVD port
  • STB - Connected via Cab/Sat port
  • Wii - Connected via Game port
  • HDMI - to TV for set up (I havent been able to figure out ARC yet :( )
  • Four output - Sony Bravia (as in my signature)

1. The setup was real quick (except ARC, phew), anyone with a penchant for gadgets, its a cakewalk
  2. I have still not mounted the real surround speakers so I am using only 3.1 set up as of now and hence "Theatre Dimensional" mode while watching movies, even with this limited set up, the movie sound is amazing
  3. The demo guy came and set up something (which I presume his preference of listening) so I changed the set up again. Initially, I didnt like music at all, it was very boomy, so I reduce Sub Woofer setting to 0 or -2 and reduce bass while listening to music.
  4. I also found the presets for Movie and Music very handy, I always use Orchestra / Unplugged or Studio-Mix settings for Music and then reduce Sub Woofer and Bass by a notch to get the desired effect.
  5. What I want to achieve is, to customize each preset for a desired level of bass and subwoofer, if any one has any tips, please let me know.
  6. While playing Wii, I use the settings under "Game" options, and they are good too.
  7. I am still in the exploration mode and havent found sufficient time to tweak further, but I am surely enjoying the experience.

Hope this helps.

Also, if other experts have found any other tricks and have tips to share, it will help significantly.

Next, I am looking forward to is a decent universal remote, since juggling 3 remotes is definitely a full time job.

Cheers

Hey was reading through your thread and one thing caught my eye.. I am planning to buy a HTiB for my LG LED 42" tv.. However currently I am living in a rented accommodation so not in a mood to carry out all the wiring required by 5.1 speakers to get the surround sound. So is it possible to maybe store the rear surround speakers and use the setup in only 3.1 mode i.e front central unit , 2 satellites and woofer. Is any functionality restricted if we use it like this like perhaps use of HDMI cable to get in the sound ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ?

What about customs?

Since your STB is non HD, so only option is Analog connection. In this case there is no point in adding HT-S3400 to the connection chain for video.

You have two options.

1. Via Composite.

2. Via Component

Sorry for being a noob but how is this for an option for a HTiB to a TV for getting a good audio output thru the HTiB speakers - connecting the optical audio out of the TV to the optical audio in of the onkyo base unit.
Now if we connect anything to the tv ( say PS3 / XBOX / DVD player / Laptop through HDMI etc) the above connection ( optical tv out to optical Onkyo in) would ensure that any sound is coming out through the speakers of HT. This will also remove the need for frequently changing the wires

PS -- I might be totally off the mark but my LG LED tv ( 42LE5300) has only optical audio out .

Hey was reading through your thread and one thing caught my eye.. I am planning to buy a HTiB for my LG LED 42" tv.. However currently I am living in a rented accommodation so not in a mood to carry out all the wiring required by 5.1 speakers to get the surround sound. So is it possible to maybe store the rear surround speakers and use the setup in only 3.1 mode i.e front central unit , 2 satellites and woofer. Is any functionality restricted if we use it like this like perhaps use of HDMI cable to get in the sound ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ?

Yes its possible to set it up as 2.1 and 3.1.

Also you can keep all the speaker in front and when you have to watch a movie that really requires the surrounds you can for a short period of time take them across the room and then put them back (that is what I do:p)

Sorry for being a noob but how is this for an option for a HTiB to a TV for getting a good audio output thru the HTiB speakers - connecting the optical audio out of the TV to the optical audio in of the onkyo base unit.
Now if we connect anything to the tv ( say PS3 / XBOX / DVD player / Laptop through HDMI etc) the above connection ( optical tv out to optical Onkyo in) would ensure that any sound is coming out through the speakers of HT. This will also remove the need for frequently changing the wires

PS -- I might be totally off the mark but my LG LED tv ( 42LE5300) has only optical audio out .

Onkyo has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. So what you need to do is to connect all your things ps3/dvd/HTPC etc to Onkyo HDMI inputs and take the HDMI out to TV HDMI in. Onkyo keep the sound with it and passes on the picture to the TV so you NEVER have to change wires. You don't need to use the opticals at all as long as your devices have HDMI. But ontherocks was replying to a query which deals with analogue audio, in that case your optical (which is also a digital interface) is as useless as HDMI. One would have to use RCA connections.

Last edited:
Onkyo has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. So what you need to do is to connect all your things ps3/dvd/HTPC etc to Onkyo HDMI inputs and take the HDMI out to TV HDMI in. Onkyo keep the sound with it and passes on the picture to the TV so you NEVER have to change wires. You don't need to use the opticals at all as long as your devices have HDMI. But ontherocks was replying to a query which deals with analogue audio, in that case your optical (which is also a digital interface) is as useless as HDMI. One would have to use RCA connections.

thanks for this dude but apparently my TV has only HDMI in and no HDMI out.

in the above configuration suggested by you ( i.e. connect all your things ps3/dvd/HTPC etc to Onkyo HDMI inputs and take the HDMI out to TV HDMI in) , how will the video go from tata sky SD box to TV ?? Will that also go through the Onkyo receiver ?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back