Onkyo HTS-3400 review please

thanks for this dude but apparently my TV has only HDMI in and no HDMI out.

in the above configuration suggested by you ( i.e. connect all your things ps3/dvd/HTPC etc to Onkyo HDMI inputs and take the HDMI out to TV HDMI in) , how will the video go from tata sky SD box to TV ?? Will that also go through the Onkyo receiver ?

Onkyo AVR has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. You connect the HDMI out of your devices to the HDMI ins of the AVR. The HDMI out from the AVR is connected to one of the HDMI input of the TV. HDMI can carry both video and audio, so you don't need additional cables for audio. If your tatasky stb has HDMI out, then use it for connecting to the AVR. If there is no HDMI out, then use the composite out for video and LR out for audio. The AVR has these composite inputs and LR audio inputs to connect other devices. However remember that this receiver cannot convert your composite input to HDMI out. So you will need to use the composite out of the AVR to connect to your TV.

Onkyo AVR has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. You connect the HDMI out of your devices to the HDMI ins of the AVR. The HDMI out from the AVR is connected to one of the HDMI input of the TV. HDMI can carry both video and audio, so you don't need additional cables for audio. If your tatasky stb has HDMI out, then use it for connecting to the AVR. If there is no HDMI out, then use the composite out for video and LR out for audio. The AVR has these composite inputs and LR audio inputs to connect other devices. However remember that this receiver cannot convert your composite input to HDMI out. So you will need to use the composite out of the AVR to connect to your TV.

oooops. Got it mate.. really made this clear.. In my case ( non HD Tata Sky) I guess I will simply keep the wiring as it is i.e connect tata sky directly to my tv and take out the optical out from my TV into AVR optical in.. I don't think it should cause any issues..

As for other devices like xbox , dvd player , I can follow your advice i.e. connecting their HDMI out to AVR HDMI in and from the one HDMI out of the AVR connect the HDMI in of TV...

I am planning to buy HTS3400.
My TV (Samsung LED 5 series) has only HDMI IN (4) and an optical output.
I am using 1TB external HDD for playing movies.
How I can get 5.1 out to connect to HTS3400 receiver?
Whether the optical cable is coming with the package or I need to buy it?
What is the best option to buy optical cable if I need this?

oooops. Got it mate.. really made this clear.. In my case ( non HD Tata Sky) I guess I will simply keep the wiring as it is i.e connect tata sky directly to my tv and take out the optical out from my TV into AVR optical in.. I don't think it should cause any issues..

As for other devices like xbox , dvd player , I can follow your advice i.e. connecting their HDMI out to AVR HDMI in and from the one HDMI out of the AVR connect the HDMI in of TV...

AFAIK 3400 supports audio return channel (ARC) and there is no need to connect optical out of TV to onkyo receiver if your TV also supports ARC.

thanks for this dude but apparently my TV has only HDMI in and no HDMI out.

in the above configuration suggested by you ( i.e. connect all your things ps3/dvd/HTPC etc to Onkyo HDMI inputs and take the HDMI out to TV HDMI in) , how will the video go from tata sky SD box to TV ?? Will that also go through the Onkyo receiver ?

yes, all inputs to Onkyo receiver are output to TV. In case you are not interested to use receiver, for eg some saas bahu serials:eek:hyeah:, you can use HDMI passthrough option (this needs to be enabled via setup option). AV is in standby mode and you can use your TV speakers (so no need to plug out wires). i just loved this.

I have connected Tata sky HD+, WD media player to AV receiver and output to Samsung LCD TV. So far i am running 3.1 setup and it still creates enough boom to move my glass windows :yahoo:

Btw, I was so pissed off with having 3 remotes (TV, Tata sky and Onkyo), so just bought protouch universal remote - Rs. 499 (best part is - it is programmable).
Universal 5in1 Remote Control at Rs. 499/- | eBay

another interesting link on how to configure it to run -
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/20404-protouch-universal-remote-ur-501l.html

:yahoo: waiting for it to be delivered so that i can use this instead of struggling with 3 remotes (i was also wondering if i should buy a rubber band to tie all 3) :lol:

I have connected Tata sky HD+, WD media player to AV receiver and output to Samsung LCD TV. So far i am running 3.1 setup and it still creates enough boom to move my glass windows :yahoo:
:

In case you need 5.1 from Tatasky which doesnt pass 5.1 audio via HDMI,can you config coaxial input for audio with same HDMI input for video?
Some of the Yamaha AVR wont do this.

In case you need 5.1 from Tatasky which doesnt pass 5.1 audio via HDMI,can you config coaxial input for audio with same HDMI input for video?
Some of the Yamaha AVR wont do this.

I am not very sure. The Yamaha AVR allows you to select any audio input for any video connection. I will test it and revert.

yes, all inputs to Onkyo receiver are output to TV. In case you are not interested to use receiver, for eg some saas bahu serials:eek:hyeah:, you can use HDMI passthrough option (this needs to be enabled via setup option). AV is in standby mode and you can use your TV speakers (so no need to plug out wires). i just loved this.
This wont work for Tata sky SD (no hdmi/optical/coaxial) which he has. From what i read in Onkyo manuals HDMI passthrough does not upconvert (from component/composite to hdmi) in standby mode but I may be wrong.
So best config if TV has ARC will be to connect Tata Sky SD directly to TV and AVR connected to TV using TVs ARC HDMi port. With ARC related configurations in TV and AVR,
* with AVR switched off it should work as it works usually - audio + video on TV.
* with AVR switched on audio on TV should automatically stop and AVR should take over.

Yes its possible to set it up as 2.1 and 3.1.

Also you can keep all the speaker in front and when you have to watch a movie that really requires the surrounds you can for a short period of time take them across the room and then put them back (that is what I do:p)
Hi cavallino,

I am new to this site and also new to have purchased an Onkyo S3400. I previously had Sony HT which was doing pretty well, but I felt Onkyo is more professional system. I have done all the basic connections as follows:

1. 3400 HDMI out to Sony Bravia HD Ready HDMI IN
2. Onkyo BD - HDMI out to 3400 HDMI In (BD/DVD)
3. Tata Sky HD - HDMI out to 3400 HDMI In (CBL/SAT)

Having done the above, I get good music and cinema effects. The only problem I face is I never heard any sound from the surround speakers so far. I have even played Avatar Original BD but no sound from surround.

In sony HT, settings, we find a TEST menu option, which visually shows which speaker is playing along with sound played in one speaker at a time.

Is there any speaker connection checking options available in S3400? Kindly, let me know if you are aware of it. I contacted Onkyo personnel in Bangalore, who said will charge 600 Rs. for a visit.

Thanks.
Vijay.

>Is there any speaker connection checking options available in S3400? Kindly, let me know if you are aware of it.<

To check speaker connections and level adjustments: Go to Set up > Level Cal, and you will get a static tone through each speaker one at a time.

Hi

I have Onkyo HTS 3400 and xbox 360 connected to my LG LE full HD LED tv. The issue is that when ever I am playing Kinect sports , the commentary does not come through the HT speakers. It is always coming through TV speakers..

My configuration is

xbox ---> AVV ( via HDMI) ----> TV via HDMI.

Also TV ----> AVR ( via optical input ) for normal tata sky SD connection..

Now the commentary in the xbox games comes through TV speakers whereas everything else comes thru HT speakers in GAME modes ( sports / RPG / Action) . Its only in All stereo mode that the voice comes through speakers of HT but then that I don't think would be 5.1

Hi cavallino,

I am new to this site and also new to have purchased an Onkyo S3400. I previously had Sony HT which was doing pretty well, but I felt Onkyo is more professional system. I have done all the basic connections as follows:

1. 3400 HDMI out to Sony Bravia HD Ready HDMI IN
2. Onkyo BD - HDMI out to 3400 HDMI In (BD/DVD)
3. Tata Sky HD - HDMI out to 3400 HDMI In (CBL/SAT)

Having done the above, I get good music and cinema effects. The only problem I face is I never heard any sound from the surround speakers so far. I have even played Avatar Original BD but no sound from surround.

In sony HT, settings, we find a TEST menu option, which visually shows which speaker is playing along with sound played in one speaker at a time.

Is there any speaker connection checking options available in S3400? Kindly, let me know if you are aware of it. I contacted Onkyo personnel in Bangalore, who said will charge 600 Rs. for a visit.

Thanks.
Vijay.

Is your problem solved now? Have you checked your rear speakers connections properly? Do let me know...

>Is there any speaker connection checking options available in S3400? Kindly, let me know if you are aware of it.<

To check speaker connections and level adjustments: Go to Set up > Level Cal, and you will get a static tone through each speaker one at a time.
Hi Cherian,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't check the internet during the weekend. Anyhow, I did some setup change in the TATA SKY ST box, now I hear music from all the speakers and the HD channels give a great sound output, it shows Dolby symbol in red on the receiver display. But, still no sound when I play BD video. Even here, it shows Dolby HD Master on the receiver display, but no sound in rear speakers.

Today, I will test the Level Cal as you suggested and will let you know.

Thanks,
Vijay.

Is your problem solved now? Have you checked your rear speakers connections properly? Do let me know...
The rear speaker works for TATA SKY HD after some settings change in STB and the receiver display shows "Dolby" symbol in red and I can hear the sound in all the speakers. But still no sound on surround during "Dobly/DTS Master Audio" through BD disc player.

The rear speaker works for TATA SKY HD after some settings change in STB and the receiver display shows "Dolby" symbol in red and I can hear the sound in all the speakers. But still no sound on surround during "Dobly/DTS Master Audio" through BD disc player.

Hi Vijay,

Really to say, I bought the 3400 yesterday only. When I checked the Dil Chahta Hai DVD, then even I have noticed that all the channels were giving the same outout, then I used the Music button to change the settings. I the receiver selected the Dolby Digital and got the actual 5.1. Check this..

Yesterday I took audition for Onkyo 3400. One important thing which I noticed is, there is no volume control for Sub-woofer. When you increase the volume, all speakers including sub's volume increases. I were told by the showroom person that being a passive sub-woofer you wont get a separate control.

About Denon 1312xp, the dealer informed that there were many complaints because of the faulty sub-woofers, and few compliants because of speakers.

And Onkyo 3400 is higher selling and customers are more satisfied.

Anyway my budget was 25K. So Onkyo fits the bill. (Saving for my Jazz X)

He gave a quote of 23,500Rs for Onkyo 3400. And 28,900Rs for Denon 1312xp.

Finally I purchased Onkyo 3400 today.

Dealer is Griha Vaibhava, Jayanagar 5th Phase, Bangalore.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back