Onkyo SR506 vs SR575

yannifan

Hi,

Im looking to buy a HTS and am confused between 2 amps : Sr506 and Sr575
Have heard of the Component upconversion on the sr575. How useful is this feature? And which is a better amp among the two.

The speaker package Im pairing it with it Onkyo s700 series. Am I setting up the right speaker system for 7.1 system. My room is 22 ft x 13 ft in size.

Please let me know any suggestions on this.
Thanks in advance

-Sudhix

Please go thru this thread, revert back to us with relevant details and you will be able to get a much better response from the experts here.

Hi,

Im looking to buy a HTS and am confused between 2 amps : Sr506 and Sr575
Have heard of the Component upconversion on the sr575. How useful is this feature? And which is a better amp among the two.

The speaker package Im pairing it with it Onkyo s700 series. Am I setting up the right speaker system for 7.1 system. My room is 22 ft x 13 ft in size.

Please let me know any suggestions on this.
Thanks in advance

-Sudhix

575 is better as it can decode DD Hd-aud.Upconversion is not useful,unless really its needed.
Both cant do upscaling.575 can process aud from HDMI ,506 cant,its passthrough model.

Hi,
Adding more details/requirements :

i) Home theatre system for about 40-50k INR.
ii) Shortlisted Onkyo AV receiver SR 506 and SR 575.
Is the 575 worth 5k INR extra? The extra feature offered is component upconversion. Im clueless about this feature and any light on this will be helpful.

The speaker package Im looking for is Onkyo 4700 package.
Front/Center/Surround Speakers : SKS-4700 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

Are the speakers underpowered or correctly matched?

My usage is both music using stereo floorstanders and movies.

Thanks in advance
-Sudhix

@spirovious

Can you please let me know whats the use of audio through HDMI? Does it mean that HDMI cable carries Audio and video and there is no need of a seperate Optical/Coax cable from my DVD player??

-Sudhix

The extra feature offered is component upconversion. Im clueless about this feature and any light on this will be helpful.

This is useful if you have many sources into your AVR via component and either (a) want to connect them to your TV via HDMI to reduce clutter or any other reason (b) or your TV doesn't have component but only HDMI inputs.

Can you please let me know whats the use of audio through HDMI? Does it mean that HDMI cable carries Audio and video and there is no need of a seperate Optical/Coax cable from my DVD player?

You are right, both Audio and Video are carried to AVR via HDMI and AVR will decode the audio alone from the HDMI connection and switch/upscale the video signal.

@spirovious

Can you please let me know whats the use of audio through HDMI? Does it mean that HDMI cable carries Audio and video and there is no need of a seperate Optical/Coax cable from my DVD player??

-Sudhix

Yes HDMI carries both AV,even decoded HDaud like, DD HD-master can be output through HDMI which can be processed by 576 ,not 506.
go for 606 as it can do all processing onbrd even upscaling too.It is available for 35k or less.

Speaker you mentioned are power hungry.AVR comes with 100w for 8ohm, spk rated at 130max. So they may sound dull at higher vol.
Try wharf or MS spk.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I finally made my purchase :
Onkyo SR575 AV receiver
Onkyo 4700 speaker package
for a packaged price of 50K at Modern World, Domlur, Bangalore.

Im extremely excited and happy about it. Brief review:

i) Tower speakers are great. Excellent quality.
ii) Overall Movie experience is good.(pls see below)
iii) The gr8 feature of this amp is the Component upscaling for any video source. I have a Sony DRC 29" CRT and the effect was startling and evident immediately. Well worth the 5K extra over SR506.

TODO:

i) Yet to learn all functionality and features. (got it on friday night)
ii) Wall mount speakers and wire them at proper positions
iii) Calibrate speakers using Audyssey

Will be complteing these in around 1 week and will post my overall opinions soon.
I have one immediate question :
My total speakers wiring comes upto 50meters for all speakers together. Please suggest me which wires to buy? The bundled wires seem ok, but definetly can be improved.

Thanks to all members to help me purchase this baby :)

Hi folks,

I finally made my purchase :
Onkyo SR575 AV receiver
Onkyo 4700 speaker package
for a packaged price of 50K at Modern World, Domlur, Bangalore.

Im extremely excited and happy about it. Brief review:

i) Tower speakers are great. Excellent quality.
ii) Overall Movie experience is good.(pls see below)
iii) The gr8 feature of this amp is the Component upscaling for any video source. I have a Sony DRC 29" CRT and the effect was startling and evident immediately. Well worth the 5K extra over SR506.

TODO:

i) Yet to learn all functionality and features. (got it on friday night)
ii) Wall mount speakers and wire them at proper positions
iii) Calibrate speakers using Audyssey

Will be complteing these in around 1 week and will post my overall opinions soon.
I have one immediate question :
My total speakers wiring comes upto 50meters for all speakers together. Please suggest me which wires to buy? The bundled wires seem ok, but definetly can be improved.

Thanks to all members to help me purchase this baby :)

1. Does ur speaker package include sub?
2. Can u give cost breakdown?

Yeah It includes the sub SL107.

Total cost came up to 50k exact. I can post the exact cost details of each component in 1-2 days as I have to search for the bill.

Adding on to my review :
Just 1 addition. Audyssey Equalizer config makes a huge difference. So effectively this system is heaven :)

hi. Congrats on your purchase. How does the system sound with stereo music? Does it handle hdmi audio also?i know that the system is great for movies as i have experienced it once.

Hi,

The system is gr8 with stereo as well. I has 3 modes for stereo - Stereo, Direct and Pure Audio. The speakers are detailed in their sound and overall experience is very good.

Yes the Amp has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. I have aPioneer DVD player and Sony CRT both w/o HDMI, so cant comment much on it. It is supposed to carry audio but i read it doesnd decode HD audio. Though i think it can upscale video to 1080p.

Im currently using optical out for audio. Component out for video. It does a very good job of upscaling video from my Cable set top box. Though I read HDMI out can be used only for HDMI input sources.

Cheers
Sudhix

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back