Opinions on Acoustic Portrait's new Swara Pre and Power Amps

All things aside, the biggest concern I have while buying higher end equipment other than SQ is what is the resale value going to be after 2-3years time frame. unfortunately a lot of boutique products depreciate well below the 50-55 percent range, which at- least for me is a deal breaker.

I fully agree.

i own Audio Lab 8200 series full rig. The CDQ, DQ, MONO, M-DAC.
they are well engineered products.i got my rig from abroad hence will not mention the price on forum.

my test is basic, active speakers dac and server.

who sell's in India, you must do homework:)

my observations, Audio lab is far ahead in all departments when compared to AP.

Who owns thiyaga, does it matter?

if you are in around bellary area you can audition my rig along with others

any other info over PM

Oak

Thanks Oakley for the answers. As always, opinions vary in audio.

Specifically I am very curious about this comparison with the Thyaga dac. I have moved this conversation about your rig to your intro thread. Lets continue there.

I think we are missing a very important point here.
AP is a system concept, something like Naim, Linn or Audio Note. These products work tremendously well when partnered with its own family but not so well when partnered in a typical audiophile mix-match systems. Why ? IMO, it is because all these "system concept" products are very tightly aligned to a "philosophy". Some people here do not care much about philosophy. IMO, philosophy is not the same as "voicing" or what we call signature sound. It is a much deeper concept. It is something very human, only a human mind can analyse and actually come up with a philosophy which is unique. It takes very deep analysis of a subject to have a philosophy around it. And when a designer wants to convey that philosophy through his products, it mostly ends up being a complete system rather than just an amp or a speaker. When one mix-matches such a product with other products without understanding the philosophy behind then obviously it doesnt work many times.

A Cambridge Audio CDP will not work with a Linn amplifier. If you already have a CA cdp and you introduce the Linn later you may discard the Linn as a poor performer and vice versa, as an example.

AP also has a strong philosophy which it demonstrates through its system. Adding just an AP amp or a dac to ones existing system has a good potential that it may not demonstrate what Acoustic Portrait website says about their philosophy of reproduced music. It is very important to listen to their complete system, even though one doesnt intend to buy the complete system. It will at least give one an idea what a philosophy in audio can sound like.

Last edited:
i am not a cable guy and i don't believe in them
From my personal experience, cables sounding different is real and one can hear it provided one cares to do some critical listening with an open mind and in a system that is resolving enough. I have even proved it to my friend, FM Sashi who was a non believer and now a convert. YMMV

i have not heard the shikari DAC, so no comment's.on practical note, i have compared with Audio lab 8200 series, no comparison, audio lab is far ahead of AP, price point Audio lab is priced lesser than AP.

I'm referring to this DAC from a company called 47 Laboratory

I'd appreciate if you could give a brief subjective analysis of both the DACs listing out the tracks played and how they fared.

Last edited:
I think we are missing a very important point here.
AP is a system concept, something like Naim, Linn or Audio Note. These products work tremendously well when partnered with its own family but not so well when partnered in a typical audiophile mix-match systems. Why ? IMO, it is because all these "system concept" products are very tightly aligned to a "philosophy". Some people here do not care much about philosophy. IMO, philosophy is not the same as "voicing" or what we call signature sound. It is a much deeper concept. It is something very human, only a human mind can analyse and actually come up with a philosophy which is unique. It takes very deep analysis of a subject to have a philosophy around it. And when a designer wants to convey that philosophy through his products, it mostly ends up being a complete system rather than just an amp or a speaker. When one mix-matches such a product with other products without understanding the philosophy behind then obviously it doesnt work many times.

A Cambridge Audio CDP will not work with a Linn amplifier. If you already have a CA cdp and you introduce the Linn later you may discard the Linn as a poor performer and vice versa, as an example.

AP also has a strong philosophy which it demonstrates through its system. Adding just an AP amp or a dac to ones existing system has a good potential that it may not demonstrate what Acoustic Portrait website says about their philosophy of reproduced music. It is very important to listen to their complete system, even though one doesnt intend to buy the complete system. It will at least give one an idea what a philosophy in audio can sound like.

Spot on.. !

Do AP make speakers to??? As in currently???

If not then how can their 'philosophy' be emoted without them in their complete 'system'???

Do AP make speakers to??? As in currently???

If not then how can their 'philosophy' be emoted without them in their complete 'system'???

Well, they have always made speakers. Just that at this point they are coming with a new range of speakers so there is a gap.

Well, they have always made speakers. Just that at this point they are coming with a new range of speakers so there is a gap.

Yes I knew that they used to make speakers, just that currently they do not do so, hence wanted to get the same re-confirmed. Hence my query as you have mentioned about their philosophy coming to the fore in the complete system of AP gear.

Thanks for replying.

Yes I knew that they used to make speakers, just that currently they do not do so, hence wanted to get the same re-confirmed. Hence my query as you have mentioned about their philosophy coming to the fore in the complete system of AP gear.

Philosophy does not change ; at least not so fast.

Hi Dr Bass,

Can you shed some light on the new range of speakers that AP is coming out with? Will there be an entry level speakers to match the Swara pre and power?

I tried calling Siva at AP, but could not get across to him.

Regards,
APK.

Completely with you on this. But as customers, do we have a right to be privy to the phlosophy? Or are we supposed to 'take it or leave it'? In the absence of clarity one is bound the hazard guesses, after all it does play a part in the buying decision...

I have not heard AP products till now, but what i gather from the post, I think AP should actually take pride in publishing their design philosophy for such outstanding products, just like any major company will take pride in publishing their annual balance sheet in a newspaper. May be someone should be pushing them for that as their customers will always want to know some technical details about the products and how they are jelled together for such a great sound. Its nothing to hide or keep it as a secret as far as technology goes. Its a big open world out there and everyone has his own share in it.:)

Hey chotu, it was meant to be a light hearted comment. Don't take it to heart.;)

Absolutely big bro :lol:

Just that this thread is going in all directions due to which lots of things being taken the wrong way :rolleyes: Not your comments though :)

Oakley seems to have disappeared after making blanket statements about a milestone product made by an Indian Brand.

I wish people who make comparative comments about products stay and substantiate their claims by giving more details and / or opening up to more experiments.

Last edited:
Oakley seems to have disappeared after making blanket statements about a milestone product made by an Indian Brand.

square_wave ((((((())))))) Looks like you are missing me and my blanket statement. i am not as Jobless as you sitting in front of forum and posting every minute, i run a business house & travel 4 days a week.

i have offered you to visit my place for audition, what more can i offer, have also mentioned any other info over PM.didn't you read that?

if you say AP is milestone product, good for you i damn care for that.

pls refrain from posting Words like "Disappeared , Blank statements" against my handle.

Oak

square_wave ((((((())))))) Looks like you are missing me and my blanket statement. i am not as Jobless as you sitting in front of forum and posting every minute, i run a business house & travel 4 days a week.

i have offered you to visit my place for audition, what more can i offer, have also mentioned any other info over PM.didn't you read that?

if you say AP is milestone product, good for you i damn care for that.

pls refrain from posting Words like "Disappeared , Blank statements" against my handle.

Oak

Sorry if I came across as brash.

From what I gather from AP, there are only a handful of Thyaga DAC customers and they are all personally known to AP. And none in Bellary.

Sir, your exact comment is pasted below.

Audio lab is far ahead in all departments when compared to AP

This sounds like a very blanket statement to me. If you want to help the audiophile community, it would be great if you would elaborate a bit more on the test / review. Also about all departments.

We as an audiophile community are very curious because many of us have compared the Thyaga DAC to many which costs 3 to 4 times. Some of them are state of the art. For many of the parameters which we look for, the AP is our choice. Hence we are very curious about this M-Dac now.

All my curiosity now revolves around this M-Dac from Audiolab. Please do help us out here.

You have a total of 15 posts on this forum. We all would like to know a bit more about you. Random comments and blanket statements by relatively new members on the forum raises many eyebrows.

Last edited:
In all fairness, your comments are reserved only for their DAC. Have you also heard their other products?

I'm looking forward to your response for my request in an earlier post, time permitting.

Hey Capt,

I actually find such a comment by Oak very trivializing and rude which is unbecoming of a worthy member of this forum.

Hey Capt,

I actually find such a comment by Oak very trivializing and rude which is unbecoming of a worthy member of this forum.

Squarewave,,,

He is unworthy to post in this thread alone because he cannot prove with any valid points against AP.

Worthy member or unworthy member in this kind of free forum cannot be debated and this is also not an forum with all members are knowledgeable in AV products: No exams are kept prior to joining like TB:p

Coming to the point anybody heard AP's new line of speakers ? any input on that is appreciated:) >>>>

Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back