Opinions on Acoustic Portrait's new Swara Pre and Power Amps

apk

Hello Everyone,

Just checked out the updated Acoustic Portrait website Acoustic Portrait. Seems to be an interesting set of new products there, including a new pre-power combo, a DAC and a transport.

Does anyone have any experience owning or listening to their Swara tube pre-amp and Swara power amplifiers?

I am looking for a pre-power combo that is smooth and forgiving on the ears (have very sensitive ears:)), and was wondering if the AP combo fits the bill.

Am partial to Indian stuff; I currently own a pre-power combo from Enbee (Mr Nakra), which I have been using for the past 4-5 years. The rest of my chain is as follows:
- Speakers: Enbee Sentinel FS Speakers
- CDP: Marantz CD6003
- TT: Technics SL-D202
- Interconnects & Speaker Cables: Lyrita Audio

Do let me know if anyone has experience with the Swara combo.

Thanks & Regards,
Anand.

I am looking for a pre-power combo that is smooth and forgiving on the ears (have very sensitive ears:)), and was wondering if the AP combo fits the bill.

Am partial to Indian stuff; .

Eyes closed, just go for these.

I have heard their earlier version of pre-power combo with their own FS speakers with SS drivers at gvenu's in Bangalore and iaudio's in Cochin (this, did not have SS drivers), both, Forum members here. AP's product quality 'should' be about the best amongst Indian suppliers of hi-end audio.

Truly, very well made products .... expensive yet, still VFM offerings.

The combo was played in Chennai AV meet held a couple of months ago. All those who listened went gaga over them. You can read about the participants' opinion about the meet this post onwards.

Yeah, I happen to have the combo. They sound fantastic and definitely fit the bill. The three dimensionality and layering is so palpable that it is addictive and you will miss them in most systems.

They have a good sound stage and are very resolving.

I think Capt Rajesh has knowledge about them.
What specific models, I don't know, but we had a presentation from them at the last Chennai meet.

The philosophy might extend to stuff I don't agree with, but hey, when it sounds so good, I don't care about philosophy! :cool:

What specific models, I don't know, but we had a presentation from them at the last Chennai meet.

The philosophy might extend to stuff I don't agree with, but hey, when it sounds so good, I don't care about philosophy! :cool:

Its swara from what I read..
Does it sound good? That's the question. :p
Are you implying they sounded good?

Sorry, I really did mean to do more than imply :eek:

I thought the Acoustic Portrait stuff we heard sounded excellent.

Disclaimer: I have not listened to a lot of different gear over the past few years, except for the HFV meets. Others can give better comparisons. However, except maybe for the Genelec speaker system, Acoustic Portrait was the best thing I heard that day.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your inputs. Seems like the AP combo is a good upgrade candidate for me. Now to see how I can have an audition. Being based in Ahmedabad, this is easier said than done.

Are there any forum members who own the AP amplifiers in Western India (Gujarat or Bombay)?

Don't make too many trips to the South; though I am thinking of a vacation in Pondicherry. Any AP owners in Chennai who are willing to let me hear their system?

Again, thanks everyone for your replies.

Regards,
Anand.

apk, I own an older version of the AP pre power combo you are considering. Without getting into too many comparisons( I dont have too much exposure to high end stuff), what I would say is that I am one helluva satisfied customer, and imho its hard to find better stuff for the price you pay.
If you can get the DAC too, nothing like it. Try to audition AP gear in Chennai or Bangalore, or if in Cochin, you can do that at my place.

There are two types of hifi in the market today.

A - Those that are designed by the board of people consisting of the biz dev managers, marketing guys and lastly the development guy. Such gear usually sound very popular and will reflect what the general audiophile is looking for. Very purposeful designs which will excite and entice the listener instantly!

B The ones that are the result of a very specific vision and belief system. Engineering is based on very solid scientific foundations but design path is driven by a very specific vision. Usually such designs have a single person or core team who believe in a certain philosophy. This philosophy is derived from many years of experience with various high fidelity equipment - their weaknesses and strengths. The driving forces behind such designs are usually an endeavor to circumvent the ailments that is present in many alternative solutions.

AP belongs to the second category. There are many such designs in the audiophile world. Green mountain audio, Emerald physics are some which come immediately to mind. To understand these designs, one needs to understand the vision and then spend enough time with them. Then the beauty will unfold if the audiophile mind is open to it. To me AP is a stellar example of very high fidelity equipment.

Their DAC is one of the best available anywhere in the world. I am not joking.

I have heard several iterations of AP's products in the last 5 years and have always enjoyed them. Since most of the voicing is done in comparison with real live unamplified hindustani music there is a very strong focus on dynamics (micro/Macro) as well as trueness to tone.

really recommended..

i think there is a discount on the swara range currently on for a limited period.

Thank you iAudio, Rajiv, Square_Wave, Arj & CaptRajesh for your replies. Seems to be a decent number of people here who rate the AP products highly. Your feedback has definitely helped me consider AP as a serious contenter for my updgrade.

The specs for the swara pre-amp in the AP website does not give me an idea whether the pre-amp has a phono sections. Can any of you let me know whether the swara pre-amp has a phono section? No phono means that I will have to get a seperate phono preamp for my TT (Hmmm.....might be a good excuse for me to buy viren's phono preamp ;) . I heard this a couple of years ago, and was very impressed)

Will have to figure out a way to audition the APs. The first lesson that I learnt in this field is to trust my own ears. So no audition, no buy, no matter how attractive it looks on paper!

I've committed it to one of the forum members. If it stays till your visit, you are most welcome to audition them.
Thanks CaptRajesh for your offer. I will PM you if my trip to Chennai materializes.

Any ideas about the cost of the dedicated Transport?

--G0bble

Read from one of the posts that the transport costs Rs 88K + VAT. The DAC is also priced the same (i.e Rs 88K + VAT). Both the DAC and the Transport are from the higher end series (Thiyaga), whereas the Swara Pre and Power amplifiers are from the entry level series.

i think there is a discount on the swara range currently on for a limited period.
Yes....they are being offered at Rs37K each, including VAT and shipping. Seems like a limited offer till end of May. As tempting as the pricing seems, I will not buy blind. Hoping to have an audition if I travel to the south (am based in Ahmedabad).

Regards,
Anand.

Their DAC is one of the best available anywhere in the world. I am not joking.

No doubt the AP DAC is at par with some of the best DAC's features wise.

But more technical details about the asynchronous USB implementation, S/PDIF receiver, DAC's chips and the kind of output stage used would help attract more buyers.

No doubt the AP DAC is at par with some of the best DAC's features wise.

But more technical details about the asynchronous USB implementation, S/PDIF receiver, DAC's chips and the kind of output stage used would help attract more buyers.
Which chip is used in it?BB,wolfson or other?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back