Oppo dvd players available at absolute phase

Nice choice on the projector... I was hunting for the Epson TW2000 but the indian dealers just had the TW1000, went for the Panasonic AE2000 instead.
How much did you pay for the TW2000 ?

Hi Audiodelic..
I put my life savings for the TW2000 :) I got it for 2500gbp. I have been eyeing on either this or the ptae2000 ( which is another beauty, more sensibly priced).. but the clinching factor was the size..For me to carry in handbaggage the tw2000 was the smaller of the two.
I am still not sure if I did the right thing by paying so much during these times of gloom..
The wife is still to forgive me..
Parting shot: Passion knows no gloom :)

Hi Audiodelic..
I put my life savings for the TW2000 :) I got it for 2500gbp. I have been eyeing on either this or the ptae2000 ( which is another beauty, more sensibly priced).. but the clinching factor was the size..For me to carry in handbaggage the tw2000 was the smaller of the two.
I am still not sure if I did the right thing by paying so much during these times of gloom..
The wife is still to forgive me..
Parting shot: Passion knows no gloom :)

Ya the AE2000 is huge comparatively. I paid around 1.75 lakhs for the panny.
Get the wife some red wine and her fav movies in blu im sure she wouldn't be as mad after.

...Get the wife some red wine and her fav movies in blu im sure she wouldn't be as mad after.

Do you really want to spill our holy secret out?! ;) Mind you, there are female members in the forum!

As it is we are all fighting againt WAF, better interiors, colour matching, wooden boxes, heavy curtains, thicker carpets, ugly racks etc etc.

LOL

HAF is most easy..Buy them a beer or tell them it is either this or a day in the Mall. Gents usually see reason when asked to go to the Mall :)

If a distributor wants to, he/she can price something well but most distys in India just seem to have one motive in mind - to have their pound of flesh. I don't mean any offence to Absolute Phase at all as they are only retailing. Its the distributors that need to be hammered for such ridiculous pricing.

It looks like some dealers have better alignement with the money making motive than others do. I checked the price of Oppo981 from Audio Vision, Mumbai. First I called their fort office. Someone took the details from me and said would call back, never did. Then I tried their Juhu showroom, and had the exact same experience - 'will call back in 10mins' stuff. Since I was quite keen on Oppo, I called for the third time and was lucky to speak to someone. The gentleman quoted Rs 25,000 + VAT for the Oppo 981. I was a bit shocked and asked him the best offer. I also, told him that I was getting it from another dealer at Rs 17,000 + VAT. The response I got, was 'please grab it'. I am now buying from Prithvi in Bangalore and getting it acorss through a friend of mine. Quite strange, but thought would be interesting for others to know.

at least he was nice enough to tell you to "please grab it"

Hey Absolute_Phase, any idea if you guys will be getting the 980?

Hi!
Not a chance on the 980, not even got the 983, have been pestering the distributor for 983 for over two months, yet to deliver. Sold out on 981, await stock this week. Hope to get the 983h, hope the price is not too high as the dollar is just going up. According to the disti, the prices might rise. Hope they dont:D

at least he was nice enough to tell you to "please grab it"

Hey Absolute_Phase, any idea if you guys will be getting the 980?

It was more like 'don't give me this ..." The point is, is it okay for people to quote any amount they want and get away? I am having to disturb a friend of mine to carry it all the way from Bangalore bcos of an ocean of a price difference.

It was more like 'don't give me this ..." The point is, is it okay for people to quote any amount they want and get away? I am having to disturb a friend of mine to carry it all the way from Bangalore bcos of an ocean of a price difference.

That is why it is called a Bazar. The seller quotes one price and the buyer has another price in mind. Then you bargain. If you look at prices quoted for electronic items in the Net, there will be 30-40% difference between various vendors.

The dealer you dealt with may not have realized that you were aware of the prices. That is why he quickly backed out and asked you to buy from absolute Phase. What if you were not aware of the local prices, and really wanted the Oppo? You may have ended buying it at that price, no?

I am always surprised at the differences in prices for blank CD - for the same model and brand I continue to hear prices from as low as Rs.6.50 to Rs.20 a piece. When you ask the dealer why, he just shrugs his shoulders. The other day in a hurry I had to get 4 blank CDs in Coimbatore and sent my driver. He came back with 4 Sony's in a stupid brown paper cover after having paid 25 for each CD. Atrocious it it not?

Actually we have lot to learn from our womenfolk. The way they bargain at times embarrasses me. They will, without blinking, quote 1/4th or 1/5th of what the seller had quoted.

Don't loose your cool on these issues. We have to deal with such people all our life. The more we are informed, the better it is.

Cheers

Last edited:
On this pricing issues, I have an interesting incident to share with you all.

About couple of weeks back I went to Pune??s leading Computer Hardware showroom to buy a 4 GB USB pen drive. At the check out counter the girl over there asked 2.5% extra on the price if I want to pay through a Credit card; I refused to pay that 2.5% extra and walked away.

Just 3-4 shops down the lane , I went into an Electronics Appliances store which was also very famous and reputed and in the business for last 60 years. I checked whether they stock any pen drives as I could see a computer (laptop) section there. I saw the same 4 GB pen drive (same make , same model ) but the price was Rs 200 more than the earlier Computer H/W store.

I asked the sales kid about the price difference and he gave rather indifferent answer. I got hold of the store manager, I told him that their shop is over charging for the pen drive and that I am feeling suspicious about the over all pricing policy of the shop and also added that I may drop the idea of shopping from their shop which not only me but many others used to trust for past 60 years.

The manager called the Computer H/W store and verified the price difference and not only he matched the price but also gave me Rs 50 additional discount! And yes he accepted credit card without any extra cost to me!!

Last edited:
Hi! Guys,

We have become official dealers for Oppo and we have placed our orders for the 981HD DVD, should be getting them this week or on the coming monday.

The MRP of the 981HD = Rs 17,000 + 12.5% VAT. Now available officially in India with a bill and warranty.:)

The awesome 983H will be coming in two weeks. Oppo have also launched a Blu-ray player at the CEDIA, however it will be out only by December 08.

Pre-book your Oppo 981HD orders and get a 5% discount ( this offer is valid till the 12th of this month only.)

For more information on the wonderful products please visit OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Rgds

Prithvi

Hi,

Do you have oppo 980?
If yes then price?

Sold out on 981, await stock this week. Hope to get the 983h, hope the price is not too high as the dollar is just going up. According to the disti, the prices might rise. Hope they dont:D
Just checked OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer
981HD = Rs. 19000/-
983H = Rs. 40000/-

In the US:
981HD = $229 = approx Rs. 11450
983H = $399 = approx Rs. 19950

I know this pricing issue has been spoken about a lot, and that there are justifications for the higher landed price.

But I found it strange that the relative prices of these 2 players are so different in the 2 markets

So the 983 price in the US is around 74% higher than the 981.
Whereas here, the 983 is priced at around 110% of the 981.

What could be the reason for this? Higher duty for a higher priced product?

Man, I am shocked to my bones! I picked up the 983 online in the US (asked a friend to do it actually) and with shipping it was $413 which at that time (39.5 bucks to a dollar) came to just over Rs.16K. And they're selling it for 42K here?!

Would be interesting to find out how much is the delta in the markup Oppo is charging and how much is duty.

Just checked OPPO Digital - Up-Converting DVD Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer
981HD = Rs. 19000/-
983H = Rs. 40000/-

In the US:
981HD = $229 = approx Rs. 11450
983H = $399 = approx Rs. 19950

I know this pricing issue has been spoken about a lot, and that there are justifications for the higher landed price.

But I found it strange that the relative prices of these 2 players are so different in the 2 markets

So the 983 price in the US is around 74% higher than the 981.
Whereas here, the 983 is priced at around 110% of the 981.

What could be the reason for this? Higher duty for a higher priced product?

I got my 981 from the US a couple of weeks back for $187, that was the best deal I could find for 981. And a friend of mine, carried it for me.

The prices here are outrageous and I can understand this is because of the dealer, distributor margin, shipping and duties applicable.

The higher prices are due to the anticipated lower sales volume,.. but then it is the chicken and egg story.
We, the average consumers cannot buy something that is ridiculously overpriced. It is a different issue whether we can afford it or not.
For 42,000(price in oppodigital.in as of now) we could go to singapore, buy an oppo and get back..
kind of buy an oppo, free guaranteed trip to singapore types :)

manufacturers/distributors: Please stop treating consumers like the willing sheep. We are willing to pay a fair markup and not more.

The higher prices are due to the anticipated lower sales volume,.. but then it is the chicken and egg story.
We, the average consumers cannot buy something that is ridiculously overpriced. It is a different issue whether we can afford it or not.
For 42,000(price in oppodigital.in as of now) we could go to singapore, buy an oppo and get back..
kind of buy an oppo, free guaranteed trip to singapore types :)

manufacturers/distributors: Please stop treating consumers like the willing sheep. We are willing to pay a fair markup and not more.

Totally agree, these distributors should be taken to task. I wish manufacturers had some sort of policy on having a cieling on how much mark up can these distributors have on a particular product. Or they should have direct sale. 42k for 983H is exorbitant.

Why cant one pick up the PS3 instead - @ 24 k one gets the gamer, upscaling AND blue ray player!

IS the upscaling abilities of Oppo better than the PS3??

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back