Oppo dvd players available at absolute phase

From what I have seen the PS3 is best an average Blu-Ray player. Not that it lacks in h/w, but firmware upgrades yes. Standalone Blu-Ray players outperform it and the Oppo is way ahead of the pack especially the 983H. PS3 is not bad, just that its upscaling is really not in the league of the Oppo.

Hmmm

at these prices, I would rather buy a standard dvd player for 4 -5k for now, then sell it when I get the opportunity procure the Oppo from abroad. The price differential will buy me more expensive speakers than I had planned for :D

Cheers

The pricing on the dv-983h is ridiculous i paid about $520 shipped to my door direct with insurance.I hope they do not go insane and overprice price the blu ray player. If they do not many people are gonna buy it
Oppo should concentrate on gaining market share from other higher priced brand by providing fair price for a good product. :confused:

Atleast Oppo US used to frequent avsforums and know what the consumer expects. We can just hope that someone from Oppo is reading this. In contact it says "sound of music" ?

Last edited:
You mean you got it shipped from US direct to your India address? No customs/local tax/etc issues?

Yes Hyderabad Address, customs were paid so government is also happy.
Why should i pay some dealer such ripoff prices so that he can pocket it :rolleyes: No offence to the respective dealer but i just dont get it.

Wake up dealers price it competitively/reasonably against other products like denon/yamaha/sony(since its india sony would also take market share).
Not only this your price should also be reasonable in terms that one shouldn't be able to procure the same player for way cheaper going via the route i went.Think about it we're open to discussion to understand the dealers point of view also

I paid:-
$400[player] + $80[International shipping + Insurance] + Rs.4000 customs

Still would touch max 30K ........... that is the absolute Upper Limit.

Last edited:
I am already receiving pm's on how to procure Oppo's directly. Sound of music is losing potential business. Tsk tsk wake up boys...customers are not agreeable to getting ripped off.

I hope you respond to those PMs and help the dealers to set their house in order :D

Ofcourse im just waiting to see a logical reply to this post. Especially from sound of music delhi dealer.

I'm not too sure what absolute phase is charging for the 983h ? Any leads ?

I have see the price of 42K being mentioned earlier in this thread. Not sure if Absolute phase has decided to put in an End of the Year sale (It may be a pure coincidence;) though that potential buyers have found the real price and the options to get the product at this price)

Where did you pay the customs duty? Did you have to go to the airport to pay and take delivery?

Where did you pay the customs duty? Did you have to go to the airport to pay and take delivery?

No it was delivered to my door. I paid it to the person who delivered or sometimes they say local post office as far as i know.

Oppo direct does not have India listed as one of the countries they would ship to.

OK guys since there is so much demand for the Oppo players. Im going to strart a new thread in a couple of days where i will post this website once i dig it up from my mailbox.

Im not completely sure if they accept international credit cards.
But they do accept paypal transfer....... is paypal now common in India?

I hope im not upsetting absolute phase by doing this. But i hope we can gear these dealers especially sound of music to price the 983h more reasonably rather than daylight robbery.

Why should i pay some dealer such ripoff prices so that he can pocket it :rolleyes: No offence to the respective dealer but i just dont get it.

Great job AudioDelic!! I might go this route too!! So 4000 on 18K INR = 22% Customs duty on dvd players? I heard it was 70%. What about power amps? Same duty rate?

TIA
Regards

I hope im not upsetting absolute phase by doing this.
Honestly, not sure why anyone should get upset. Buyer chooses to buy from wherever it makes sense and is free to spread information on the buying experience.

At a 20K INR shipped to India price, makes me wonder whether warranty and support is worth worrying about. If something goes wrong, you could order another piece for 20K :). So for the 40K price here, you could buy a backup piece !

I have see the price of 42K being mentioned earlier in this thread. Not sure if Absolute phase has decided to put in an End of the Year sale (It may be a pure coincidence;) though that potential buyers have found the real price and the options to get the product at this price)

Absolute Phase quoted 48K to me a few days back for the 983. 19k for the 981.

I wanted the 980 but its not stocked by the distie per them. A $229 item being sold for $400+!! I'm not buying needless to say.

Time for consumers to claim their rights and lead the way for others!!

Cheers

Last edited:
I hope im not upsetting absolute phase by doing this. But i hope we can gear these dealers especially sound of music to price the 983h more reasonably rather than daylight robbery.

Consumer rights, freedom of speech, the right to information are all our fundamental rights regardless of whether the local shops or government grants them to us. We have a right to inform and be informed and only we can force the market to correct the prices - by refusing to buy or be gullible.

The trouble is that pricing in India is always opportunistic. never rationalized. In the US they calculate cost of storage for a low moving item and decide to dispose stuff at 50% original price, and happy to provide the bargain to customers. Here, you ask for a forgotten and stale potato on the shelf and the shop owner will double the price just because you indicated that you desire to own it.

Of course local sellers will mock you saying US consumers are different and the market there is different, and if we could sell the same quantum locally we wouldn't mind etc etc. but its just a face saving device and an Indian habit - insult the customer for seeking a fair price.

Great job AudioDelic!! Thanks for keeping us informed. :)

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back