Oppo's new players BDP 103 & 105

To all the AV Gurus,
As I am planning to incrementally build my HT. Though I am happy and satisfied with the picture quality of 103, do i still need to buy an AVR, Does it make any sense? or can i just settle with an amplifier. Please advise.
Thanks in advance

Ah got it. region free will surely come at an additional premium. I personally wud prefer buying the region free kit separately (easily available for these oppo models) and install it myself ...just to have the psychological feeling that no one else has touched my player but thats just me. Thats what i did with my bdp 80 (sorry its 80 not 83 as typed above- excuse the typo). Oppo has the deadly combo of [Region free + 7.1 analog + HDMI input] which i think is unbeatable.

Thanks for the heads up. Will surely retain the 80 now just in case.

We both are in bangalore . Wud love to come and check out your player if possible...if u dont mind. So let me know. Thanks

Sure I'll let you know when I am done.

To all the AV Gurus,
As I am planning to incrementally build my HT. Though I am happy and satisfied with the picture quality of 103, do i still need to buy an AVR, Does it make any sense? or can i just settle with an amplifier. Please advise.
Thanks in advance

An AVR to inprove PQ of 103 is not a good Idea - I do not think that any AVR can improve the Picture quality. What is your TV?

The AVR is required for the 5.1/7.1 Surround sound. If you are happy with a stereo then an Amp is teh logical way to go.

Thank you, I am bowled over by the player and its basic performance as i have not got sufficient time to explore it. Actually it stands up to the reviews available online.

You are right $499 is the price (for region code locked player) Mine is a life time region free player, that's what the guys from Bombay electronics claim. It costed me $615, more over I was also supplied with a WiFi device or some sort of blue tooth enabled device along with it and i should check how useful the device is. IMO it is worth every paise that I have spent.

In case if you are upgrading your 83 IMHO please retain your bdp83 as there is a new application (cinevia) or something like that in the latest oppo player which will allow you to play only the original Blu ray disc only.

Oppo 103 can detect my 2TB External HD, which i was very concerned with as there was no info about it on net. It can play most of the file formats other than iso files.
Hi buddy,
I just wanted to know, does this player streams VUDU, Pandora Radio & Netflix etc. in India as they claim in their advertisement ? I am also interested to buy this player but wanted to confirm.If you can confirm it with Bombay ELectronics people it will be a great favor for me.If possible please share the contact details of Bombay ELectronics also..

Last edited:
The player streams but none of these sites work in India as they offer the service only in US. These sites detect your internet service provider being in India and block the service.

Thanks

To all the AV Gurus,
Thanks in advance

It depends on your preference towards AVR driven sound/passive speakers vs. amplifier driven sound/active speakers. Note that unlike 105, 103 does not have any high end audio features. So unless u want to settle for less, u still need to buy an AVR.

Said that, personally as far as I am concerned, any PC based 5.1 speaker is sufficient for me that i can easily connect to Oppo's 5.1 analog plugs. I love oppo for its incredible ease of use, user interface and for different features altogether. But thats just me. I still cant belive even after an extremely rough usage, the very very low end model of oppo 80 has surpassed all my expectations in the last 5 years. Oppo rocks.

An AVR to inprove PQ of 103 is not a good Idea - I do not think that any AVR can improve the Picture quality. What is your TV?

The AVR is required for the 5.1/7.1 Surround sound. If you are happy with a stereo then an Amp is teh logical way to go.

Thank you. I think it makes sense for me to go for an AVR as it can process both Audio and Video. I have connected it to Lg led Projector model: HX301G.

Last edited:
Hi buddy,
I just wanted to know, does this player streams VUDU, Pandora Radio & Netflix etc. in India as they claim in their advertisement ? I am also interested to buy this player but wanted to confirm.If you can confirm it with Bombay ELectronics people it will be a great favor for me.If possible please share the contact details of Bombay ELectronics also..

Hi Buddy,
Checked with them, they are not sure about it. But advised to check with our local Internet service provider.

It depends on your preference towards AVR driven sound/passive speakers vs. amplifier driven sound/active speakers. Note that unlike 105, 103 does not have any high end audio features. So unless u want to settle for less, u still need to buy an AVR.

Said that, personally as far as I am concerned, any PC based 5.1 speaker is sufficient for me that i can easily connect to Oppo's 5.1 analog plugs. I love oppo for its incredible ease of use, user interface and for different features altogether. But thats just me. I still cant belive even after an extremely rough usage, the very very low end model of oppo 80 has surpassed all my expectations in the last 5 years. Oppo rocks.

Thank you. I think it makes sense for me to go for an AVR as it can process both Audio and Video.

FYI for anyone interested, amazon.com USA is now shipping Oppo players to India. I am not sure when they started this as a few months back they weren't shipping outside USA.

The final landing cost for Oppo 103 (including the prepaid duty) to India comes to ~INR 45K.

How much is Oppo 105 landed cost in india

Actually, only Oppo 103 is shipped globally and not 105 :(

This site Bombay Electronics - Oppo BDP-105 | Region Free Blu-ray Player is selling Oppo 105 to India.
But it costs around whopping $1550 including shipping; not sure if there might be extra cost for custom duty!!

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Actually you can use the coupon code "BLU5OFF" to get 5% off and the final shipped cost comes to $1,410.75(2-7 day shipping) :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back