Optoma HD20 Vs Vivitek 1080FD

mvasu22

Folks,

Am looking to buy an entry level DLP projector, so can someone throw more light as to choose between these 2 products or is there anyother product under $1200(USD) which may suit my needs.

I basically am looking for 1. Watching movies (90% of useage), 2. Little bit of Sports (via DTH) (10% of time)

Any help is basically appretiated.

Thanks
-Vasu

Both models you have mentioned have good reviews... However before going ahead please check whether the throw is sufficient for your required screen size, since entry level PJ will have limitation on Lens throw which may not suit small room if you want wow factor.

For your handy reference check this calc for further decissions on both model.

Projectors, Projector Reviews, LCD Projectors, Home Theater DLP Projectors at ProjectorCentral.com

Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance

Regards

Here is a quick list of comparison between 3 FULL HD projectors.

Projector People : Comparison Charts

Vivitek seems to have small edge over Optoma in this case (in terms of better contrast ratio,better uniformity)

Vivitek as per this comparison chart has the disadvantage of costlier replacement lamp. This is a important factor to be considering before buying projector (unless you are someone who will make the projector a collectible item before expiry of lamp)

I have also zeroed down the vivitek model...but the question is how and where to buy?

The prices with the auth dealers for vivitek in Mumbai are over 1.25 lacs:mad:. Whereas the same one's actual cost is around 850 to 1000$ i.e. upto Rs 48K only.

GEB offers for 68K/-. 20North = 72K/- when I last checked.

With customs duty, it should not cost more than 57-58K/-.

I have also zeroed down the vivitek model...but the question is how and where to buy?

The prices with the auth dealers for vivitek in Mumbai are over 1.25 lacs:mad:. Whereas the same one's actual cost is around 850 to 1000$ i.e. upto Rs 48K only.

GEB offers for 68K/-. 20North = 72K/- when I last checked.

With customs duty, it should not cost more than 57-58K/-.

Anyone thinking of Borderlinx as an option, their rates look the cheapest of the lot. Let me know since I am planning to use Borderlinx to procure the projector.

Anyone thinking of Borderlinx as an option, their rates look the cheapest of the lot. Let me know since I am planning to use Borderlinx to procure the projector.

For me, Borderlinx always shows a very low duty calculation. When you finally ship from them, only then you will know the exact value of duty. But there service upto now has been excellent.

For me, Borderlinx always shows a very low duty calculation. When you finally ship from them, only then you will know the exact value of duty. But there service upto now has been excellent.

Just found out after much research on various blogs on Borderlinx, that Borderlinx shipping cost depends on the volume weight rather than the dead weight. Since we are not in a position to know the volume weight when we buy the item the actual is variant from the cost calculator. Also Borderlinx works on the principle that they take the higher value between the volume weight (ie. the exact measurement of the package) and the dead weight (actual weight of the item). Hence if we pack an iPhone into a big carton box, then borderlinx calculates the shipping based on the volume of the carton and not on iPhone. Hence the difference.

Guessing that we are not in a position to know exactly how the merchant packs out item, this buy is pretty risky but all users of borderlinx have no problem with their shipping timelines and customer services.

This is what I learnt today, hope its useful to some.

Thanks
-Vasu

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back