Optoma HD65

Folks, I have decided to take the plunge and for go the HD65.

I need some suggestions on the screen.

I live in a rented place and have an awkward room where the PJ/screen is going to be placed.

The height of the room is 10 feet 9 inches. It is an old house (high ceilings).

I intend to have a drop-down screen (7' x 5') from a solid wooden bar going across the room. The bar will be at approx 7 feet from the floor. The screen will drop 5 feet down. I usually watch movies on the TV, so the screen will come just in front of the TV when it is dropped down.

Now the projector. Where I intend to place the Projector there is a window, so I have to place the projector on a shelf (I don't want ceiling mount) above that, so that is going to be approx 7 feet 3 inches or so above the floor.

So from 7 feet 3 inches height throwing the picture downwards, will the keystone problem arise. I believe you can adjust keystone to 40 degrees in the HD 65, or so says the manual (+- 40 degrees vertical). Here I will get a projection distance of around 10 feet.

The other option would be to place the PJ on a table top. But the distance will be 6 feet max from the screen.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Guys,

I am coming to India next month from US. Can I buy the HD65 here in US and use it in India. The reason I am asking is, on the box, it says Region code 1, Region code 1 is for US, Canada, and for India, the region code is 5. So Can I play Indian DVDs if I buy HD65 here in US and bring it to India.

Thanks
Raj

Folks, I have decided to take the plunge and for go the HD65.

I need some suggestions on the screen.

I live in a rented place and have an awkward room where the PJ/screen is going to be placed.

The height of the room is 10 feet 9 inches. It is an old house (high ceilings).

I intend to have a drop-down screen (7' x 5') from a solid wooden bar going across the room. The bar will be at approx 7 feet from the floor. The screen will drop 5 feet down. I usually watch movies on the TV, so the screen will come just in front of the TV when it is dropped down.

Now the projector. Where I intend to place the Projector there is a window, so I have to place the projector on a shelf (I don't want ceiling mount) above that, so that is going to be approx 7 feet 3 inches or so above the floor.

So from 7 feet 3 inches height throwing the picture downwards, will the keystone problem arise. I believe you can adjust keystone to 40 degrees in the HD 65, or so says the manual (+- 40 degrees vertical). Here I will get a projection distance of around 10 feet.

The other option would be to place the PJ on a table top. But the distance will be 6 feet max from the screen.

Thanks in advance.

hi, my sugestions for HD65----1--ceiling mount is the best position ,reason being-- the projector throws a lot of light ,if placed on a shelf or close to where u sit then the light wud be disturbing and the sound from the projector too cud be anoying if placed close to sitting position ,,,,so all these factors can be overcome if ceiling mounted 2---mount it on the ceiling and its safe there if there are kids at home 3---if kept on a shelf u got to take care u dont move the shelf or the projector or else u got to set it right umpteen number of times its tiresome 4---go in for a larger screen size where u cud get a minimum of 120" picture diagonally,coz even at close veiwing from a distance of 10--12 feet its very clear 5---depending on your budget u cud choose the screen ,u cud have a self locking type/pulldown (abt 8k) for a 120" 16:9 screen ,or u cud have a fixed type ,or electrically operated (abt 20k) but i wud recomend the insta lock type as its easy on maintainence and also economical ,u cud go for the inst lock GRANDVIEW screen ,matt finish (i use this) 6----**** GO IN ONLY FOR AN HDMI CONNECTION FOR THE BEST PICTURE ,dont waste money on the component cables ,THE HD65 gives its best with an 720p upscaled signal it also allows 1080p to pass thro (Regarding connections --if u have an AVR that supports 1080p upscaling then route the DVD player to AVR without upscaling ie at 480p/570p then connect the HDMI out of the AVR to the HDMI in of HD65,,,,,,,,,if you dont have an upscaling AVR then route the HDMI out of the Dvdp to HD 65 directly and upscale to 720p/1080p from the DVDP and u cud use the coax/optical out of the DVDP for audio via the AVR ----hope these tips cud be of help to you ----cheers

Here is the spec of my HD65 setup and dedicated HT room.

Projector - Optoma Hd65 is driven by Sony DVP-NS708HP DVD system with 1080p upscaling through HDMI (altho the projector does 720p). Sound is processed through kenwood 5 speaker HT system (being upgraded). Projecting onto a 92" Panoview mattwhite 16x9 screen from 10.5' distance. Room Size - 16'x11'. Have a universal ceiling mount but yet to ceiling mount it. The HD65 is powered through a 800 KVA UPS.
Best part of the HD65 is that even standard SD DVD movies look really Hi def on the HD65. The colors seem to really jump off the screen. I cant seem to get enough of this thing !! ;)

Here is screen shot from my Hd65 (actually it looks much better than this). :cool:

Attachments

• DSC05635.jpg
    DSC05635.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hey Chaxy,

That picture looks great! And when you say that it is even better. Then WOW!:D You sure did get me real excited.

My projector is supposed to be here in a week or so :). I am getting a 6' x 4' Braun-Phototechnik screen for now. The screen is going to drop down in front of the telly (a Philips 29" CRT). Projection distance, like in your case, is going to be 10' or about.
DVD Player: Philips upscaling one to 1080p (don't remember the model)
AVR is a Denon 1707
Fronts: Polk Audio Rti A5 (this is biamped) :D
Surround: Polk RTi A4
Center: Polk CSi
Sub: Polk PSW404 :D

Of course, mine is not a dedicated HT room. That room will have to wait a couple of years I think. Will post pictures as soon as things are set up. I am going to get the PJ from a shelf high up in the wall - no ceiling work for me.

Questions:

1) Do you have to keep the room "really dark" to see good pictures or can you "let in some light?"
2) Noise level of the projector? A big distraction?

Another question.

Will a 500VA Numeric UPS do? It has 10-min backup time.

Here is the spec of my HD65 setup and dedicated HT room.

Projector - Optoma Hd65 is driven by Sony DVP-NS708HP DVD system with 1080p upscaling through HDMI (altho the projector does 720p). Sound is processed through kenwood 5 speaker HT system (being upgraded). Projecting onto a 92" Panoview mattwhite 16x9 screen from 10.5' distance. Room Size - 16'x11'. Have a universal ceiling mount but yet to ceiling mount it. The HD65 is powered through a 800 KVA UPS.
Best part of the HD65 is that even standard SD DVD movies look really Hi def on the HD65. The colors seem to really jump off the screen. I cant seem to get enough of this thing !! ;)

Here is screen shot from my Hd65 (actually it looks much better than this). :cool:

Hi Chaxy

What make 800 KVA ups are you using, how much standby time are you getting, please provide the pricing and manufacturer details

Hey Chaxy,

That picture looks great! And when you say that it is even better. Then WOW!:D You sure did get me real excited.

My projector is supposed to be here in a week or so :). I am getting a 6' x 4' Braun-Phototechnik screen for now. The screen is going to drop down in front of the telly (a Philips 29" CRT). Projection distance, like in your case, is going to be 10' or about.
DVD Player: Philips upscaling one to 1080p (don't remember the model)
AVR is a Denon 1707
Fronts: Polk Audio Rti A5 (this is biamped) :D
Surround: Polk RTi A4
Center: Polk CSi
Sub: Polk PSW404 :D

Of course, mine is not a dedicated HT room. That room will have to wait a couple of years I think. Will post pictures as soon as things are set up. I am going to get the PJ from a shelf high up in the wall - no ceiling work for me.

Questions:

1) Do you have to keep the room "really dark" to see good pictures or can you "let in some light?"
2) Noise level of the projector? A big distraction?

darker the room better the quality of the pic, if projector too close then it does sound noisy (not to worry if you are not that particular) heres my set up ------my set up --Jamo C809 (L/R), C80 (centre) C80 (sorrounds) velodyne CHT12R sub, Onkyo 875 AVR and onkyo 504 DVdp , optomo HD65 with 120" 16;9 pulldown Grandview matt screen

Last edited:
hi i am using APC ups 650 ES ,its only as a safety measure ,to switch off the projector the right way in case theres a power failure ,and it only takes abt 10 sec to switch off

Hi Chaxy

What make 800 KVA ups are you using, how much standby time are you getting, please provide the pricing and manufacturer details

The UPS make is Microtek, i already had this UPS so i am not sure of the price. It might be around 3-4 k. It gives me a backup time of 5-10 mins approx, depending on the battery age.

HD65 is quite bright and you can have some ambient light also. You dont need a complete dark room. It works pretty well with PC also and can be used for presentations with some ambient light.

The projector is not very noisy. Actually there is a high altitude setting which sets the fan to higher rpm and hence a little noisy. The service guy advised i leave it in that setting as it does better cooling.

darker the room better the quality of the pic, if projector too close then it does sound noisy (not to worry if you are not that particular) heres my set up ------my set up --Jamo C809 (L/R), C80 (centre) C80 (sorrounds) velodyne CHT12R sub, Onkyo 875 AVR and onkyo 504 DVdp , optomo HD65 with 120" 16;9 pulldown Grandview matt screen

Subash, Thats a pretty impressive setup you got there ! :)

500 VA UPS is strictly NO NO!! :eek:
I have a APC 500 VA UPS which failed the HD65 test big time.

Actually it is a 600 VA UPS. Tested one computer today on it. Gave me 20 mins backup (with 15" CRT monitor). I think it should be enough. APC UPSs in this range have pretty poor battery life. That is the reason I decided not to go with the APC I already have.

I need to confirm distance placement of both projector and screen. The PJ is going to be shelf mounted and the screen is going to drop down from a wooden bar going across two walls.

Now going by the distance calculator on the Optoma website, for an 85" image, give me minimum distance of Minimum 9.51 Feet and maximum distance of 10.56 Feet. The range is pretty limited due to the 1:1 zoom.

[img=http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1106/optoma65screendistancead7.th.jpg]
Now can there be any flexibility or I pretty much have to stick with 9.51 to 10.56 feet?

P.S: Please click picture, my image won't come up as thumbnail, strange.

Last edited:
Actually it is a 600 VA UPS. Tested one computer today on it. Gave me 20 mins backup (with 15" CRT monitor). I think it should be enough. APC UPSs in this range have pretty poor battery life. That is the reason I decided not to go with the APC I already have.

I need to confirm distance placement of both projector and screen. The PJ is going to be shelf mounted and the screen is going to drop down from a wooden bar going across two walls.

Now going by the distance calculator on the Optoma website, for an 85" image, give me minimum distance of Minimum 9.51 Feet and maximum distance of 10.56 Feet. The range is pretty limited due to the 1:1 zoom.

[img=http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1106/optoma65screendistancead7.th.jpg]
Now can there be any flexibility or I pretty much have to stick with 9.51 to 10.56 feet?

P.S: Please click picture, my image won't come up as thumbnail, strange.

Please follow this link for sizing a UPS.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/2713-suggestions-good-ups-pj-2.html

Cant compare a PC+CRT wattage to a projector thats rated around 300 watts at peak load. Thats not a right comparision by any level. Always better to be safe by having a max of 800+ VA UPS.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot chaxy,

I did the math. Even taking 220v, 265 watt, 1.43 amp, the minimum VA capacity will have to be 686 VA :eek:

I am going to get a 800 VA or 1KV one now. In fact, as per this website, the recommended is 1 KV. Are you sure of the 1.43 Amps figure?

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I did the math. Even taking 220v, 265 watt, 1.43 amp, the minimum VA capacity will have to be 686 VA :eek:
If I'm not wrong, you miscalculated it.
VA = Volts x Amps
So for 220v, 1.43 amp, it shall be
220 x 1.43 = 313.6 VA which comes almost equal to rated 300 Watts

BTW, this happenned to be my 1st post ever in this forum. Hope might be helpful.

Cheers!
Arminder

Infact found an online calculator at: Popup VA, Watts, Amps calculator

But again keep note of energy losses, so add 20-30% to the value for practical VA ratings. Rough calculation:

220v, 265 watts -> 380 VA
380 x 30% -> 115 VA
Total -> 380 + 114 -> 500 VA

For 300 watts, the above totals to 560VA.

So, I guess, those on 500 VA UPS are on borderline at 265 watts max PJ and underrated for 300 watts max PJ.

Cheers!
Arminder

Here are some more pics from my HD65. Enjoy! :cool:

Attachments

• DSC05661.jpg
    DSC05661.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05664.jpg
    DSC05664.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC05665.jpg
    DSC05665.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC05663.jpg
    DSC05663.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 67
Arre Yaar Sahibji.

Excellent pictures!

You are making me envious now. My HD65 has not yet arrived! Waybill problems Tecktronics guys told me. :(

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back