Outdoor speakers - anyone ?

Bunn999

Hi guys,

I need your help in setting up my outdoor setup a roof converted into a party hall cum hangout lounge, i'm planning to setup a projector to watch the cricket & football matches and occasional movie, mostly it will be used for parties and partying/dancing also.

Now, my question would be what kinda setup should i be looking at theres lotta stuff out there Active speakers/environmental speakers/passive ones. but if i go for multiple small speakers then what kinda sub do i add for the low end ?

Budget is around 1.2 lac to slightly higher also if needed. Should i be looking at AVR or bridge a stereo amp/mixer ?

The place is around 25 feet X 30 feet I'm planning to cover it with mangalore tiles and 3 sides are covered with brick walls and one side with aluminum windows.

I want all your suggestions & prices of equipments/contact numbers would be great. thanks in advance.

is the budget for the speakers only or speakers + AMP or speakers + amp + projector.

Budget is for Speakers + AMP . Leave the projector aside for a while now that's a future upgrade but definitely on the cards.

woah i just checked and no one's replied ? how abt i hook up 2 pairs of bose 301's to a stereo AMP ? will that be enough ? what do i do for BASS ? come on guys i'm sure someone out here can give me some Sound Advice !

You can do much better than putting up 2 Bose with Stereo Amp.

For you size of room I feel that you should have at least 4 speakers. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. When you buy projector, just add sub + centre speaker in the front for 5.1. If you want 7.1, then start with 6 speakers - extra 2 going on the side wall. Now for the choice of speaker - If they are exposed outdoors to slight rain, heat and dust, then normal speakers will not do. Go for proper outdoor speakers from the below choices (between 5-10k per piece).
1. Wharfedale Neptune 100 / 200 - WHARFEDALE - In Wall & In Ceiling
2. Polk Atrium 45 / 65 - Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions
3. Work Studio 40 - Reflections AV - Products | Work Studio 40A Install Speakers - Black Pair

These speakers are better suited for outdoors and can take a bit of water dust, heat. For higher end you can look at similar from Monitor Audio, B&W, etc.

Now, for Amplifier. You will have to go for a 6/8 channel amplifier to start with for music. These can be of local brands like DNM Audio. You can also use Mixer Amplifier of Byford Audio which will allow you use 2 mics for karaoke along the music. Cost will be around 25k. When you will set up a projector, then you need to go for an AVR.

Raghav

Budget is for Speakers + AMP . Leave the projector aside for a while now that's a future upgrade but definitely on the cards.

If you want PA type system there are powered and passive cabinets both, the passive ones will need an amplifier to drive them.Many brands JBL, Peavey, electrovoice, mackie...

Live Sound

Thanks guys, for all your suggestions, i have a few doubts which i wanna share with u guys firstly a bit more abt the location

1. this is a sort of closed place although its on the roof & its gonna be covered from 3 sides but one side i'm gonna have a huge aluminum window which is going to be left open during a gathering. So dust could be an issue but not rain.

2. I'm def gonna buy a projector, so should i go with AVR to start with or just plain Stereo setup wherein i can watch the matches in a Stereo mode ? 4/6 channel Stereo. Also i want to connect it to my IPOD/dvd player/nitendo wifi.

I did consider the bose 301's for their price @ 17k a pair looks hard to beat Can be nicely hooked up to the steel scaffolding of the tiles. but the confusion lies in 2 areas in case i go for a small speaker setup what do i do for the Bass ? i will def need a SUB for the low's ?

Or should i be looking at those big looking Active Speakers ? with built in amp is there any advantage in buying those ? please advice.

This will be used for parties also.. and i don't wanna end up with a flat sounding setup.

Any idea on JBL prices ? where can i buy them in Bangalore ?

what have you used for a ceiling since this is a terrace? If its open to sky, then what protection from rain.

I am asking since I have a similar terrace 40 X 25 with walls on four sides. Still Rain is a big isuues along with dust and pigeons etc... as it is open to sky

Thanks guys, for all your suggestions, i have a few doubts which i wanna share with u guys firstly a bit more abt the location

1. this is a sort of closed place although its on the roof & its gonna be covered from 3 sides but one side i'm gonna have a huge aluminum window which is going to be left open during a gathering. So dust could be an issue but not rain.

2. I'm def gonna buy a projector, so should i go with AVR to start with or just plain Stereo setup wherein i can watch the matches in a Stereo mode ? 4/6 channel Stereo. Also i want to connect it to my IPOD/dvd player/nitendo wifi.

I did consider the bose 301's for their price @ 17k a pair looks hard to beat Can be nicely hooked up to the steel scaffolding of the tiles. but the confusion lies in 2 areas in case i go for a small speaker setup what do i do for the Bass ? i will def need a SUB for the low's ?

Or should i be looking at those big looking Active Speakers ? with built in amp is there any advantage in buying those ? please advice.

This will be used for parties also.. and i don't wanna end up with a flat sounding setup.

Any idea on JBL prices ? where can i buy them in Bangalore ?

Very true cranky.. that's what i feared. if i go for smaller speakers then i'm stuck with low bass.. not good if we wanna have dancing & active speakers gets too loud in one corner of the room. its difficult. i found out the prices for wharfedale neptunes they come in two models 100/200 prices quoted were 14/17 k respectively. Bose is the last option. but 4 of them just cost 34k. maybe i can look at the other models suggested here. Axiom and JBL. will hear them soon. maybe post some pictures here for u guys to see. but they look expensive.

I'm open to more suggestions.. i still have a couple of weeks before i buy the equipment.. cuz the steel frame work is currently going on. i have integrated speaker wiring into the frame.

I think the wharfedale pricing is for a pair not single piece. They will turn out cheaper than Bose. Go for Neptune 200 as the difference in Bass will be substantial.

Very true cranky.. that's what i feared. if i go for smaller speakers then i'm stuck with low bass.. not good if we wanna have dancing & active speakers gets too loud in one corner of the room. its difficult. i found out the prices for wharfedale neptunes they come in two models 100/200 prices quoted were 14/17 k respectively. Bose is the last option. but 4 of them just cost 34k. maybe i can look at the other models suggested here. Axiom and JBL. will hear them soon. maybe post some pictures here for u guys to see. but they look expensive.

I'm open to more suggestions.. i still have a couple of weeks before i buy the equipment.. cuz the steel frame work is currently going on. i have integrated speaker wiring into the frame.

I auditioned jamo speakers yesterday.. outdoor type it didnt sound very good.. started jarring a substantially medium volume.. also visited blose showroom but they couldnt play the 301's cuz the amp it was connected to had gone for repairs. then visited JBL he gave me a solution of adding " control 1 " speakers just 7500/- a pair i could buy 6 of them 21k add a sub i'm getting a velodyne 12'' sub for 14 k then buy a AVR ? but i couldnt hear the speakers and am very reluctant to buy a pair without listening to them. i've asked for a demo cuz those speakers look very small & not sure at that price range how they would sound. Any more suggestions ? i still have to try the wharfedale and axiom. does anyone know where i can audition the axiom speakers in bangalore ?

Buddy...

Just look in for some options below :

First Option

If you are looking in for the wired ones, using the amplifier than...

Speakers - Sonance - CRK-10 - 75w RMS @ 6Ohms...Rs.16K pair (Rock Garden Speakers) (Water and Heat Resistent)
Amplifier - I will prefer you take in a Professional Amplifier, as one day match
last for 5-6 hrs, and an AVR gets heats up if you play it for more than 3-4 hrs... So.. Crown - 400w - Rs.19,500
Mixer - There are many.. Rs.5K..

So, i think for your place.. you can have 3 pairs of speakers that is Rs.48K, one amp, and one mixer.. so in total it will be Rs.72,500...and then get two Subwoofers, from Q.A.V. @ 120w RMS each... These are on wall speakers, and can be covered...@ Rs.29,500 each...
So in total The MRP comes to Rs.1,31,500... You can get the complete thing for Rs.1.2Lakhs...

Second Option

Prefer the Wireless, WaterProof(Not to be dipped in Water :p), Fire Resistent, 10Hrs battery backup...

Get in the Fabulous one and only Soundcast's Outcast...

Its a wireless speaker, with 10hrs battery backup, comes along with a 8" Down Firing Subwoofer, and 4 x 3" Drivers...Its a 3 feet tall & cylendrical active speaker...

It comes with a Wireless iPod Transmitter...
And one Transmitter can drive 2 Outcasts...

They are priced @ Rs.55,000 each + Transmitter @ Rs.10,000...
So, in total it comes to Rs.1.2Lakhs...
So after discount it comes to Rs.1.1Lakhs...

And its quite a good one, just have a demo of it and you will come to knw...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back