Paired BIC America PL200-ii With Yamaha 1840 model

aniket.ani12

Hello Guys,

Need help and your expert advice again,
I had a Yamaha 1840 model & paired it with BIC America PL200-ii using the sub out option. The results with BIC America PL200-ii are awesome.. but since I had a older model that is Yamaha 1840, There no different setting for 2nd SUB. I only have 1 setting for crossover & that gets applied to both the subs.

So currently I have kept it on 160Hz after lot of adjustments, but the BIC America PL200-ii has a volume button on the back, and that is currently set to very low. I can’t fine tune the crossover which is on the back.

This is because, I have gone through the manual of BIC America PL200-ii and it says if I connect it with a pre-out port I should not use the crossover which is on the back, instead I need to select (crossover from receiver) this allows me to set crossover from the receiver itself but 1 SUB is low end & 1 is high end and it’s not doing good.
Is that really true? Can’t I switch it to (crossover from SUB) even if I have connected to the Pre-OUT? Is there any harm in doing it?
I am comparatively new with the woofers with such power so needed any advice on it.

Hi

If you refer to the Yamaha 1840 specs.....it has a connection for hooking up a passive sub (which is part of the standard set) and also a sub out port.

Please note that this is a work around being suggested and not recommended. Since the Yamaha 1840 is a basic entry level AVR, you cant do much with it. (Unless you update the AVR). Ideal scenario is to use either the Sub Out Port or hook up a passive subwoofer......

Now if you have TWO BIC America PL 200 subs then you may need to connect one sub using the Sub Out port and the other one using the HIGH LEVEL Speaker connection..(refer to manual....High Level speaker connection is meant for Stereo amps where there is no sub out port).

The setting of 160hz is in play as the Original Yamaha speaker set is satellite speakers. Ideal scenario is to keep LFE at 100hz or 80hz for the sub out port section. (Crossover setting on the subwoofer for this sub should be OUT...which means the Crossover knob on sub will not function)!

Bass Management should be LFE + Mains on the AVR......

The Second BIC America sub connection would be through HIGH LEVEL (Meaning from L+ R terminal wires from AVR going to the Subwoofer and the front speakers connected to the subwoofer L+R terminals) you can then adjust the Crossover on the subwoofer to your taste....and the Volume of the subwoofer.

You will need to read both manuals of AVR and Subwoofer carefully for Bass Management and settings to get the best sound as you are trying to use 2 subs with AVR limitations. The bass outputted at different frequencies may sound a bit muddy or good...all depends on your listening preferences....this will take time and lot of patience till you get the right bass to your liking.....

Very few brands and models of AVRs which have TWO sub out ports have specific settings available which one can adjust.....each of these AVRs too come with their specific calibration setup ....again depends on which model you have and what options are available for fine tuning....

Besides frequencies or settings....room acoustics, subwoofer placement and even source content play a major role in optimal output and blending!

If I were you, I would hook up the BIC America sub using the Sub Out port....usually one sub is enough but if you have two then use a splitter which will enable you to hook up 2 subs to the same Sub Out port......result would be bass outputted at same frequency which is also good. If I want to enjoy good bass and expect the subs to perform differently, I may try the workaround suggested and be cautious.....end of the day would upgrade to a better AVR which can help tune all possible settings......

Suggest you invest in the NR1508/09 and sell the 1840.....or you can go in for an AVR which meets your expectations....make sure you check all requirements you want the AVR to have before purchase

Back