Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

There are ways to convert VCD to DVD but the PQ will be horrible.

A harsh suggestion once again:

1. Buy original DVDs from Moser-Baer and others - only Rs.99 to Rs. 150 each
2. Give away your VCDs to some auto-rickshaw owner who will attach them to the mudflaps. :lol:

How can one watch VCDs in flat panels? It is unbearable. It is high time that these Indian companies stop producing VCDs.

How can one watch VCDs in flat panels? It is unbearable. It is high time that these Indian companies stop producing VCDs.

Talking about Indian companies only producing VCDs, there are Indian branch of hollywood studios are also still producing VCDs not only in english, even after dubbing in Hindi to combat piracy. There are lot of DVDs which are available in english for say about 400, then English VCD will cost about 150 or so, and lo the hindi dubbed are available for 50-100 bucks... :eek:hyeah: .. Our market functions that way only, still people buys the roadside duplicate VCDs or DVDs for 20-50 bucks... :D

There are ways to convert VCD to DVD but the PQ will be horrible.

A harsh suggestion once again:

1. Buy original DVDs from Moser-Baer and others - only Rs.99 to Rs. 150 each
2. Give away your VCDs to some auto-rickshaw owner who will attach them to the mudflaps. :lol:

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

But I asked for those old VCDs which were bought "original with cash memo" and unfortunately I've not find (at that time) and DVD of those movies.

I never indicated that your VCDs were pirated. What I meant in point (1) was replace them with original DVDs. It is not a simple matter of copying the files to a DVD. The DVD has specific format consisting of .IFO, .BUP, .VOB, files. The VCD must be converted/transcoded and DVD must be authored. Converting them is not worth the time, effort, cost and hassle.

The (PAL) DVD resolution is 720 576 whereas as stated earlier, (PAL) VCD is 352 x 288. People including myself, have converted DVD to VCD but vice-versa? Never imagined it what crap it will be.

Last edited:
Ok finally got my player and the maxcon thing as well. Tested the player, 3D Bluray , Skype, Youtube , Wireless connectivity and it all works pretty well.

1. The BluRay has HD Master Audio , but Denon MOVIE hold switch only shows DTS SURROUND and others ? Previously with Samsung BluRay player, it used to show, HD Master Audio and I always used to select it. But it doesnt show with this player ?

2. Now about the region free firmware, how to find the MAC ID ? I have the player connected wirelessly to my router.

2. Now about the region free firmware, how to find the MAC ID ? I have the player connected wirelessly to my router.

I'll just add, once more, to other FM warnings that making a mistake at the enhanced firmware will get you banned and thus no chances of getting the enhanced firmware, ever.

You must use the wired connection MAC address and NOT the wireless connection MAC. They are different.

To get the wired MAC address, temporarily turn off wireless on the BDP. Connect an RJ45 LAN cable between your router and BDP. Go to Setup on the BDP, Network, select the Wired Connection, Network Settings and you will be able to see the MAC address at the bottom of this menu. Write it down exactly as it is displayed dashes and all. Note: It is OK to capitalize the alphabets even though the BDP displays in lower case.

Before updating with the enhanced firmware ensure you turn off autoupdates on the BDP.

^^^ To add to the above, connecting to ethernet is not required. Just changed the network mode to wired and get the Mac id.

Once you get the enhanced firmware, never update it with the official firmware else region free capability will be lost. Many people update firmware just because it is available. A the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
^^^ To add to the above, connecting to ethernet is not required. Just changed the network mode to wired and get the Mac id.

Once you get the enhanced firmware, never update it with the official firmware else region free capability will be lost. Many people update firmware just because it is available. A the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Got it. So not connecting it to ethernet.
Just will change to wired and get the Mac ID and then proceed with the registration on the firmware website.

BTW, did you answer my 1st question ?

Got it. So not connecting it to ethernet.
Just will change to wired and get the Mac ID and then proceed with the registration on the firmware website.

BTW, did you answer my 1st question ?

You should select Bitstream or source direct output for hdmi.

You should select Bitstream or source direct output for hdmi.

How to do that ?

I only have one HDMI cord connected from BluRay to the AVR . While playing the movie, when I click on OPTIONS, it shows on screen MASTER AUDIO codec.

But on AVR, when I hold my MOVIE button, it doesnt show HD Master Audio.

Confused :indifferent14:

How to do that ?

I only have one HDMI cord connected from BluRay to the AVR . While playing the movie, when I click on OPTIONS, it shows on screen MASTER AUDIO codec.

But on AVR, when I hold my MOVIE button, it doesnt show HD Master Audio.

Confused :indifferent14:
Hey friend,

I am not trying to sound arrogant or high-handed. Please ... please ... do not take this the wrong way. I would advise you to read the manual and go thru the BDP setup menus. The BDP setup menus have helpful messages for all options. Go thru the BDP Setup --> Picture Settings. A little self-help goes a long way.

Ok finally got my player and the maxcon thing as well. Tested the player, 3D Bluray , Skype, Youtube , Wireless connectivity and it all works pretty well.

1. The BluRay has HD Master Audio , but Denon MOVIE hold switch only shows DTS SURROUND and others ? Previously with Samsung BluRay player, it used to show, HD Master Audio and I always used to select it. But it doesnt show with this player ?

As said by "just4kix", you have to select "BitStream" for HDMI audio output. To further explain this I'm attaching the pictures for the settings for getting un-compressed audio from Blu-ray, and decoded by your AVR.

First go to the Setup->Player Settings->Audio->Digital Audio Output and follow the images below to set up the corresponding values correctly.

20130206194001.jpg

20130206194051.jpg

Last edited:
That did it. Thanks.

And I dont see so many options like you.

For example, 7.1 audio reformatting option. Howcome ?

I just feel whoever is behind that Firmware website is just too arrogant or stupid.

I registered in the morning , and then came back from office and checked, but there was no reply. I tried logging in and the logins did not work.
Then I tried to register again with the same username, password, email and it logged in.

Now how stupid is to delete a user's account without sending any notice , if anything is wrong or whatever.

Anyways, I just sent the private message again. But I hate such forum admins!

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Bluray Player (W) Built-in Wifi (Imported) | eBay

just checked this..posted just for info...
panasonic bd 220 is avilable in e bay india...with 19k...very high price though..can be 2k less if someone havng 10% off coupon..still high than import
btw this a us model 110v...so the converter is free with this model
anyway just saw this..no relation with seller..hehe

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back