Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

New firmware update available... version 1.52 for Panasonic BDT220/320/321/500, DMP-BBT01.

The new firmware has two updates which includes:
1. VIERA Connect update
2. DLNA compatibility

The firmware is available both officially and from the firmwareinfo site which offers region free play-ability plus additional features.

Beware:
Once you have the region free firmware updated on the player, do not download the official firmware from Panasonic as this will remove the region free capability and will also lose the other features.

The latest region free firmware is available as a replacement by paying an additional donation of 5 (Euro) through the firmwareinfo site.

I don't think that the firmware update is necessary if one is only using the player to play BDs.

My advice:

1. Those on non-jailbreaked player: Safe to update
2. Those on jailbreaked player: Stay away. Save your 5 or 10

Since I'm on official one and I just wanted to stay updated, I got it done.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361361774337.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361361774337.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 172
Since I'm on official one and I just wanted to stay updated, I got it done.

Its great to know that you have updated to the new firmware.
Kindly post your results if you find any improvement in connectivity issues in DLNA.

One suggestion...
Kindly upload your images to an image hosting website and then provide an image link in the posts, so that the image is visible.

Taking a cue from this thread I got this player from Amazon.uk thr SNS.Player costed 124 pounds ,shipping and customs Rs5.2K.I got the player delivered to me in flat 6 days.Enjoying ,thanks folks.

I don't think that the firmware update is necessary if one is only using the player to play BDs.

My advice:

1. Those on non-jailbreaked player: Safe to update
2. Those on jailbreaked player: Stay away. Save your 5 or 10

I am not able to connect to the internet to use the online services from the player, as it gives a message to update the firmware as the Network Service was Renewed, with two options "Update" & "Exit".

If I select "Exit", it comes back to the home screen.

So, until I pay an additional donation for the region free firmware I will not be able to connect to the internet for online services through the player.

Damn!!

To keep this thread growing and active, I found a great feature already in the player which can be used as a media player with no issues at all. So wanted to share this with all the FM's who have bought or would buy this player.

This review is for one of the network features provided by Panasonic DMP-BDT220. This network feature is hidden in the settings and can be enabled only from there.
The feature which is described here is a much better alternative to DLNA. DLNA functionality with this player is very limited and I can confirm that most of the file formats do not play.
I have tried many of the DLNA media servers namely Serviio, windows media server, Plex etc and none have given positive results. Only Serviio was able to stream FLAC files but then the connection used to get lost overtime and the media stopped playing.

With this feature one can access most of the file formats including mkv, m2ts, mp4, avi, flac (upto 24/192), wav (even 5.1) and many more which was not possible through DLNA.
Further when streaming multi-channal audio from formats like Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, Wav DTS 5.1, etc the receiver lights up the correct audio respectively.
Now movies and music with multi-channel audio can be enjoyed directly from one's computer streamed to the player wireless or wired and seen on the big screen.

Now, let me disclose the feature available in the settings, which many of you would already know...
Its the "Network Drive" which can be enabled from the Network menu. One, can connect any network drive (Network Attached Storage) with this player provided it has its own IP address and a shared folder or folders wireless or wired.

But the best part is that this is not limited to NAS, but can be configured to be used with any computer which has a hard disk and one wants to share the different media stored on that disk.
Well, many of members here would be aware of the steps below but for the betterment of the mass, below are the steps to be done for streaming media content to this player.

Steps to be done on the computer:
1. On your Windows computer, open windows explorer to create a "Map Network Drive", by selecting "Computer" on the left pane and then click "Map Network Drive" from the toolbar on the top.
2. In the dialog box, select a drive letter and the folder to map example "Movies". (Important: The folder should be shared before hand to show in the browse window.) see point 4.
3. Click Finish and you have a mapped drive which can be accessible from the player.
4. On windows explorer select the folder you wish to share on any drive and right click on it. Goto properties and select the sharing tab. Click on the share button and select the user name you want to share to.
Then click on Share and then OK. Now your folder is being shared. Next step is to map the folder - point 2.

Steps to be done on the player:
1. Goto Settings -> Player settings -> Network -> Network Settings -> Network Drive Connection and set it to On.
2. Once enabled... then goto main menu and then Network
3. Select Network Drive by going left.
4. Select the type of media you want to play - Music or Videos Or Photos.
5. Select Add a Network Drive.
6. Enter the IP address of your computer ex. 192.168.xxx.xxx
7. Enter the folder name which is shared ex. "Movies"
8. Enter the login id and password used to login to your windows computer
9. Select connect.

It then connects to the mapped drive and displays all the files on that folder. Now you have access to the media files corresponding to the selected media type ie., Music, Video or Photo.
Browse to the particular folder or file and select it to play.

The display of the files and scrolling is quite fast and smooth. The play-ability of media files is also smooth and responsive. All the functions like fast forward, rewind, pause etc work flawlessly.
You even have a page up/down for browsing which is an added benefit if you have a long list of files/folders. I personally tried almost all types of files and did not face any issues in connectivity and play-ability.

I tried to play 720p videos and it was smooth with correct audio stream display on the A/V receiver.
1080p videos were also fine, though some of them which have higher bit rate played with some stuttering.

I hope that this find would be helpful to many of us here.

How about Mac system? Did you try it?

Sorry, but I do not have a Mac system.

But I guess it should be more or less the same procedure if you can map a drive or folder from a Mac system. It would be great if you or anyone who has a Mac system and the player, could confirm that.

Just wanted to share some media formats playability with this player.

I burned a DVD-RW (multi-session) disc with MP4, MKV in the first session and FLAC, MP3, WAV in the next, all plays well except MP4.

The same media burned on a DVD-R with multi-session enabled and the player reads only the first session (No MP4). The subsequent sessions which contained the audio formats are not visible to the player and does not show any files.

So, a multi-session DVD-R cannot be played other than showing the first session only. But a DVD-RW shows all the sessions on the disc.

I burnt a bunch of .avi files to a DVD+RW as a single session but the BDP refuses to play them. The message displayed indicates that the disc is incompatible. I used the CDBurnerXP freeware to create a data disc and finalized the compilation. Tried .mkv's mixed with the .avi's and no go either. Haven't yet tried just .mkv's on the compilation.

I guess I am doing something not quite right since you indicate this works. The question is What? Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Just recd my player today (imported from Amazon US via S&S) Landed cost 10600. Just need to get a convertor before I can plug it in.
Any suggestions, thnx!

Just recd my player today (imported from Amazon US via S&S) Landed cost 10600. Just need to get a convertor before I can plug it in.
Any suggestions, thnx!

Oh man .. it is exactly 2500/- rupees higher than what Ishop would have costed you.. anyway enjoy the product..

Any suggestions, thnx!

Congrats. Enjoy one of the most popular and versatile BDP's discussed on this forum.

See post #'s 167, 168, 173, 182, 209, 296, 297, 314, 320 and in and around those post #'s on this thread for discussions regarding 220-110V voltage transformers.

Oh man .. it is exactly 2500/- rupees higher than what Ishop would have costed you.. anyway enjoy the product..

How is that? Have you used their service?
My cost on Amazon was 5500 + shipping 3033 + customs 2067.

Just wondering where they work out cheaper, thanks!!

SNS is a big time fraud. I left them a way long.

Using iShop since a year and they always works out cheaper. Anyways, we always learn from mistakes.

Just get a MX adapter now for 200 bucks and you are all set.

BTW, I got my player through iShop for 7.3k last month.

SNS is a big time fraud. I left them a way long.

Using iShop since a year and they always works out cheaper. Anyways, we always learn from mistakes.

Just get a MX adapter now for 200 bucks and you are all set.

BTW, I got my player through iShop for 7.3k last month.

That is a fantastic price I guess. Unfortunately all prices mentioned on this link were 10,000+ so I assumed that to be the best price. Anyways will def try ishop the next time. Thanks!!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back