Panasonic Launches New 2008 Viera Range Of Plasma, LCD TVs In India

Neal

Panasonic Launches New 2008 Viera Range Of Plasma, LCD TVs In India

Panasonic has launched its 2008 Viera range of plasma and LCD televisions in India. Currently, plasma screens ranging from 42-inch to 103-inch will be offered this year. Panasonic has introduced three new plasma variants -- TH-50PV80 (50 inch HD ready), TH-42PV80 (42 inch HD ready), and TH-42PV8 (42 inch HD ready). In addition, Panasonic will also be introducing shortly this year, 2 full high definition models -- TH-50PY850 (50 inches) and TH-65PY850 [65 inches].

panasonic2008vieraserieov8.jpg

All the 2008 models contain the TUF (Tough Under Force) glass panel that covers the front glass of the plasma TV screen providing protection against impacts (upto 4 joules). These models also feature over 900 moving line picture resolution, dynamic contrast of 1,000,000:1; and an extended panel life of up to 100,000 hours.

On the other hand, the four new Viera LCD variants are TX-32LX800 (800 series, 32 inch), TX-37LX80 (80 series, 37 inch), TX-32LX80 (80 series, 32 inch); and TX-32LE8 (8 series, 32 inch). The Viera LCD panel incorporate IPS Alpha technology with 178� wide viewing angle, contrast ratio of 10,000:1, energy-saving backlight, and Viera link for simple networking. In addition 2 more new models are expected to be launched shortly in the 37 inch [full HD] and the 26 inch category.

The 2008 VIERA models also include Panasonic's V-real 3 and V-real PRO 3 Technology. V-real is the collective name for Panasonic's black-box imaging technologies. VIERA V-real 3 /V-real PRO 3 Processor is the key device that processes the video signal it receives and outputs the same as an extremely high-quality refined signal that helps create the beautiful, high-definition images. The VIERA V-real 3 /V-real PRO 3 Driver controls the drive power to optimise panel performance in the new VIERA range. The resulting images show every motion clearly and express each step of gradation in delicate detail, according to the company.

With lead-free plasma display panels, the VIERA range also features an advanced Anti-Reflection Filter and Intelligent Scene controller. The majority of the VIERA line-up is equipped with a slot for large-capacity SDHC Cards.

img75701panasonic450x36rh3.jpg

Panasonic Plasma TH-42PV80 (42 inch HD ready) and TH-42PV8 (42 inch HD ready) are available at Rs 74,990 and Rs 69,990; Panasonic Viera LCD TX-32LX800 (800 series, 32 inch), TX-37LX80 (80 series, 37 inch), TX-32LX80 (80 series, 32 inch), and TX-32LE8 (8 series, 32 inch) are available at Rs 54,900, Rs 59,900, Rs 46,900, and Rs 44,900 respectively.

Looks like as usual the 37 inch plasmas are not sold in India:(
When can we expect the 37 inch full hd LCD models ? Is this TX-37LX80 37 inch hd ready model available now ?

According to the press release...

In addition 2 more new models are expected to be launched shortly in the 37 inch [full HD] and the 26 inch category.

I am not sure if its going to be in Plasma or LCD??

Any idea about the full specs for these babies? I am considering buying an LCD and I was tending towards the new Sony Bravia 32 inch S series model, which I am told you can get your hands for about 45k.

Any idea how the TX-32LX80 would compare?

I always wanted to go for a Panasonic, but till now they had only their older models on sale in India, and so I was disinclined. Does anyone know how good these are, and how they compare to the S series?

(No, I don't want Full HD, so I am not considering the higher end models)

Any idea about the full specs for these babies? I am considering buying an LCD and I was tending towards the new Sony Bravia 32 inch S series model, which I am told you can get your hands for about 45k.

Any idea how the TX-32LX80 would compare?

I always wanted to go for a Panasonic, but till now they had only their older models on sale in India, and so I was disinclined. Does anyone know how good these are, and how they compare to the S series?

(No, I don't want Full HD, so I am not considering the higher end models)

Hi.

Take a look at Panasonic 32LX700 sold as 32LXD700 in UK, "2007 Supertest Winner" contested among Sony, Samsung, LG, etc., (WHFSV). This 32 incher had won many awards and glorious reviews in UK. I had seen it here in Chennai Panasonic shoowroom, when I was searching for a good 32" tv. It has got excellent SD picture, one of the best I've seen when compared to Sony S series, Sony V series, LG PearlBlack, LG Scarlet, Samsung. HD and DVD quality is very also impressive in 32LX700.

I think this is a TV that is worth buying, but it was very expensive initially, now they are on a special offer for just 50K here!!

It's HD ready!

50k is a great price for the lx700. Beautiful tv.
It was some 60k two months back. The 700 series has been replaced by the 800 series now.

Hello all,

Here is my inaugural post with an important (for me) question! I am debating whether to get the Panasonic TH-42PV8 or TH-42PV80. If the image is identical and only the features list different (SD card and more inputs in the latter model) then I will go for the cheaper PV8.

So is the image the same? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Yeah, but with the LX800 at 55k .....and if it's advertised at 55k then within a month or two it should be available for less, is it worth spending 50k now to get the LX700. I know the 700 is a great set, but isn't LX800 an upgrade on that? or does the 800 leave out some features? Would anyone knwo if 800 also has 100Hz etc?

And the general sentiment i am hearing these days is that the Sony sets are doing a slightly better of job of getting truer blacks, whereas for accurate and engaging colour reproduction the Pannys have their noses ahead.....would you guys agree with that?

Hi.

Take a look at Panasonic 32LX700 sold as 32LXD700 in UK, "2007 Supertest Winner" contested among Sony, Samsung, LG, etc., (WHFSV). This 32 incher had won many awards and glorious reviews in UK. I had seen it here in Chennai Panasonic shoowroom, when I was searching for a good 32" tv. It has got excellent SD picture, one of the best I've seen when compared to Sony S series, Sony V series, LG PearlBlack, LG Scarlet, Samsung. HD and DVD quality is very also impressive in 32LX700.

I think this is a TV that is worth buying, but it was very expensive initially, now they are on a special offer for just 50K here!!

It's HD ready!

Yeah, but with the LX800 at 55k .....and if it's advertised at 55k then within a month or two it should be available for less, is it worth spending 50k now to get the LX700. I know the 700 is a great set, but isn't LX800 an upgrade on that? or does the 800 leave out some features? Would anyone knwo if 800 also has 100Hz etc?

And the general sentiment i am hearing these days is that the Sony sets are doing a slightly better of job of getting truer blacks, whereas for accurate and engaging colour reproduction the Pannys have their noses ahead.....would you guys agree with that?

Is 800 available in 32" ? and is that price in chennai and when is 800 coming to chennai ?

Yes, 800 is indeed 100 Hz.

hey vinod, i don't know if they are available in chennai and when they will come. but it looks we're both on a similar quest in chennai, so we should keep each other updated. My candidates though are one rung lower than yours. Yours seems to be the Sony V series and the LX800 whereas mine is the Sony S series and the LX80. Do let me (and everyone else) know if and when you manage to compare these models.

I wonder why they didn't launch the 42inch full hd model(py800) in India! They have launched it everywhere in South East Asia. We continue to get the step motherly treatment from the Electronics manufacturers.

Its the same panel so image quality should be identical.

As it happened, I had the opportunity to compare the TH-42PV8 and TH-42PV70 side-by-side in a shop; the latter was clearly better than the former. The salesman said that was because the first model's display was made in Singapore and the second one's in Japan; I can certainly attest to the latter since I ended up buying it at about the same price as the newer, lower-end PV8 model and checked (the unit itself is Singapore-assembled). Count me in as part of the brigade that thinks that hyped contrast ratios etc. tell you nothing about picture quality.

So I ended up getting the PV70 at a price of about Rs 66,000 rather than the PV8 that was being offered at Rs 65,000; the forthcoming PV80 is listed at Rs 75,000 so I am fine with that although I could have tried to bargain it down another couple of thousand bucks I suppose. Am happy with the purchase and the black levels are great!

Since I am breaking it in on soft contrast mode, my PS3 gaming is currently restricted although I am enjoying that too!

Last edited:
As it happened, I had the opportunity to compare the TH-42PV8 and TH-42PV70 side-by-side in a shop; the latter was clearly better than the former. The salesman said that was because the first model's display was made in Singapore and the second one's in Japan; I can certainly attest to the latter since I ended up buying it at about the same price as the newer, lower-end PV8 model and checked (the unit itself is Singapore-assembled). Count me in as part of the brigade that thinks that hyped contrast ratios etc. tell you nothing about picture quality.

So I ended up getting the PV70 at a price of about Rs 66,000 rather than the PV8 that was being offered at Rs 65,000; the forthcoming PV80 is listed at Rs 75,000 so I am fine with that although I could have tried to bargain it down another couple of thousand bucks I suppose. Am happy with the purchase and the black levels are great!

Since I am breaking it in on soft contrast mode, my PS3 gaming is currently restricted although I am enjoying that too!

Were the picture settings in the menu same? Probably there was higher sharpness dialed in on the PV80. Both the TVs have the same image processor and panel. There should be no difference. Where the panel is made has no relevance.

Thats interesting.. The online reviews and user experiences seemed to suggest that Pv8 had slightly better black levels than PV70 but otherwise they weren't so dissimilar.

That was my experience, although I acknowledge that the contrast/brightness settings could have been different.

The salesman was initially steering me towards the PV8 before I stated that the PV70 looked a lot better. Maybe he saw it as an opportunity to get rid of old stock before the PV80s arrived!

But I did get a more positive impression overall from the PV70 and thought it even looked better. My understanding is that the PV80 is at best an incremental improvement over the PV70, although the additional HDMI input could be useful for gamers. Plus I got a decent price, so no complaints.

Added: FWIW, Richer Sounds in the UK claims that the PX8 is "inferior" to the PX80 (equivalent UK models). Doesn't specify how except to say that the PX8 has a matt screen, so not a definitive claim by any means.

Last edited:
Yes I have heard that its only an incremental change. What dvd player are you using? Do post your review of the pv70 after you start using it.

Yes I have heard that its only an incremental change. What dvd player are you using? Do post your review of the pv70 after you start using it.
Using my PS3 as a DVD player; works quite well. I had earlier contemplated getting a higher end DVD player such as the Denon 1740 or 1940, but since I wanted a PS3 decided against it since the PS3 has decent Blu-ray playback and is somewhat future proof.

Will post a review after I have spent some time with the TV.

That was my experience, although I acknowledge that the contrast/brightness settings could have been different.

The salesman was initially steering me towards the PV8 before I stated that the PV70 looked a lot better. Maybe he saw it as an opportunity to get rid of old stock before the PV80s arrived!

But I did get a more positive impression overall from the PV70 and thought it even looked better. My understanding is that the PV80 is at best an incremental improvement over the PV70, although the additional HDMI input could be useful for gamers. Plus I got a decent price, so no complaints.

Added: FWIW, Richer Sounds in the UK claims that the PX8 is "inferior" to the PX80 (equivalent UK models). Doesn't specify how except to say that the PX8 has a matt screen, so not a definitive claim by any means.

There is one difference between both - the PV80 has an ambient light sensor and adjusts the brightness contrast based upon ambient light. The PV8 lacks that sensor. Maybe there lies your difference in image quality. However the panels are the same and a matt or glossy screen treatment makes no difference.

If you have the budget, why don't you get the Pioneer 428XD for 110k? Far better than any of the panasonics.

Two reasons:

(1) I went to the Pioneer India website, and they had no mention of plasma or LCD TVs in this market. So I got the impression that all sales are gray market and may not get full support. As it is Panasonic warranties are pretty miserly at 1 year, and I didn't want to take on more risk with a set that costs twice as much.

(2) Wasn't sure I wanted to spend about 2x for a technology that is rapidly changing. Might want to get a bigger set in 3-4 years with full HD etc.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back