Panasonic UT50 (2012 model) Owners Thread

Technically SD content would be less noisy when upscaled by the panel to its native resolution, in case of sammy,720p.
You can find true cinema mode if present which gives accurate settings out of the box.

What Dirac is said is right. When SD content is watched on an SD-TV (essentially CRT) it appears best - because TV and input are perfectly matched. Watch SD on 720p TV, then a picture of 720x576 (PAL) to 1366x768. It is like zooming to fit. Since much less zooming is required, the picture is much less distorted. Try zooming to 1920x1080, and you will see more artifacts.

Try watching true hi-def stuff (either 1080i or 1080p) on your UT50 and you see the difference.

Try watching true hi-def stuff (either 1080i or 1080p) on your UT50 and you see the difference.

Yes, hi-def stuff looks good in the UT50, but is there anything I could do about the SD quality. I am currently using the True Cinema mode.

It looks like there are some HDMI input settings (graphics, etc..) in the US UT50 models, but they seem to be missing in India. Is there any reason behind this?

Yes, hi-def stuff looks good in the UT50, but is there anything I could do about the SD quality. I am currently using the True Cinema mode.

What is the expected quality for SD content upscaled to 1080p? I mean , there is no reference as such. Did you get chance to see how other models (1080p) are doing w.r.t SD upscaling?
Was there a better model that was upscaling better?
There could be models whose inherent strength is SD upscaling.

It looks like there are some HDMI input settings (graphics, etc..) in the US UT50 models, but they seem to be missing in India. Is there any reason behind this?
Many people tell me that HD TVs upscale. Even some web articles say that TVs upscale. That is not true - at least not per the meaning and definition of "upscale". A 1080p panel TV merely adjusts or zooms up the native signal to adjust to its resolution - conversely if you feed it a 4K or higher resolution feed (e.g., a still picture from a camera), it will zoom or scale it down. I have an old Pioneer DVD player. If I play DVD over it or if I play the same DVD with my upscaling BDP, there is a marked difference - night and day difference.

So don't expect TVs to upscale because they don't. What this effectively means is that SD content will be seen worse on 1080p panel than a 720p panel. There is nothing you or I can do about it. On top of this the SD/HD feed is heavily compressed to save on bandwidth. So basically input is garbage and the equation "garbage in = garbage out" hold true universally. Otherwise, we would be watching SD content from DTH, the TV would upscale it HD and we would be all very happy. We would have manufacturers claiming upscaling TVs. No large demand for HD. Hey! Why pay more for HD when upscaled SD is good enough?

I agree with Kix, the SD PQ on 720p model is much better than a 1080p model. In fact SD on 1080p TVs looked almost washed out in comparison to 720p or CRTs. I was always wondering why they can't have a system in the new generation 1080p tvs, whereby atleast they can have a better PQ in SD, equivalent to what 720p TVs can generate. I think that will be better option and the need of the hour, as most of the channels are still SD.

I agree with Kix, the SD PQ on 720p model is much better than a 1080p model. In fact SD on 1080p TVs looked almost washed out in comparison to 720p or CRTs. I was always wondering why they can't have a system in the new generation 1080p tvs, whereby atleast they can have a better PQ in SD, equivalent to what 720p TVs can generate. I think that will be better option and the need of the hour, as most of the channels are still SD.

The only way is to dynamically switch panel resolutions depending on input.
This may not be possible I guess.
Actually the world is moving towards 4k and it does not care for SD. We have to rely on upscalers.:)

The only way is to dynamically switch panel resolutions depending on input.
This may not be possible I guess.
Actually the world is moving towards 4k and it does not care for SD. We have to rely on upscalers.:)
A hype called '4K' is being created. Worldwide, the flat panel TV market is shrinking across all levels. There is no reason for people to upgrade to the latest LED TV when people have a good well-performing 1080p LCD purchased 3 years ago. So manufacturers are brining in 4K TVs with a "reason" that people may accept to upgrade.

There is no need to spend hard earned money on a 4K TV. First of all there is no content available. Now, people may argue that 4 years ago, there was no 2k (1080p) content available. But that is where the comparison or likeliness ends. 8 years ago, there was HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, albiet costly. 4 years ago, the format war ended and blu-ray became victorious. BDPs and BDs came down to affordable levels. I do not see the same for 4K content. Where is the "orange ray" or "yellow ray" or whatever?

Next, read this article: Why Ultra HD 4K TVs are still stupid | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I agree with the article 100%. 480p or 720p or 1080p or 2160p (4k) - at distances of over 8 feet (the most common viewing distance) and sizes of 50" or below (most common sizes), the human eye cannot make out any difference because the pixel size is too small. As the article says ...
At a distance of 4 feet, if someone is waving to you, you can make out the lines on the person's hand, at a distance of 10 feet, maybe just the hand and fingers, at a distance of 100 feet just the hand, etc.
So, unless you have a 80" TV and you are sitting at 6 feet, you will not get benefit of 4K. That is the same reason why a 46-50" 720p TV is no worse off than a 46-50" 1080p TV at 8'.

I got a quote of 58k for 50UT50 from Pana showroom in Kalkaji a while back. That is the minimum quote I have seen yet.

Not demo. I already own Sony 55EX720 and am quite happy with it. I have a bright room otherwise 50UT50 at half the price is a steal

my 42UT50D is still showing the IR of Sony channel logo (refer page-18 too). I dont think its getter deeper/darker IR, but also not reducing. can be easily spotted during the EA Burn-in solid color slide view. also can faintly see in lighter background scene. I have been running EA burn-in images, sample videos, other burn-in videos etc overnight. but doesnt reduce IR. I have also kept the built-in B/W scroll bar running for overnight.

y'day I was running the AVATAR 3d demo clip, and could still (bit faint) the Sony (S) logo. its really disturbing me. The TV is purchased in Feb13, havnt lately checked the usage hours - but couple of hundreds surely.

why Sony channel IR, especially the SonySAB - this is the max watched channel (TS-HD STB).

looking forward for any assistance. thanks in advance.

my 42UT50D is still showing the IR of Sony channel logo (refer page-18 too). I dont think its getter deeper/darker IR, but also not reducing. can be easily spotted during the EA Burn-in solid color slide view. also can faintly see in lighter background scene. I have been running EA burn-in images, sample videos, other burn-in videos etc overnight. but doesnt reduce IR. I have also kept the built-in B/W scroll bar running for overnight.

y'day I was running the AVATAR 3d demo clip, and could still (bit faint) the Sony (S) logo. its really disturbing me. The TV is purchased in Feb13, havnt lately checked the usage hours - but couple of hundreds surely.

why Sony channel IR, especially the SonySAB - this is the max watched channel (TS-HD STB).

looking forward for any assistance. thanks in advance.
You should have taken the "first 200 hours" precautions by running in zoom mode during this time. IR is more stubborn during this period. Refer: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in

But all is not lost.

1. Keep running the scroll bars for at least 2 hours every day for the next month
2. Switch TV to TV mode (you will see the black/white snow). Keep this mode for 15 minutes after finishing watching TV
3. Use in zoom mode
4. Change channels during ad-breaks
5. Watch movies from DVDs/BDs that don't have logos in full-screen mode

Eventually, the IR will go away. The best way to get rid of IR is to watch more TV without static content such as logos.

You should have taken the "first 200 hours" precautions by running in zoom mode during this time. IR is more stubborn during this period. Refer: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in

But all is not lost.

1. Keep running the scroll bars for at least 2 hours every day for the next month
2. Switch TV to TV mode (you will see the black/white snow). Keep this mode for 15 minutes after finishing watching TV
3. Use in zoom mode
4. Change channels during ad-breaks
5. Watch movies from DVDs/BDs that don't have logos in full-screen mode

Eventually, the IR will go away. The best way to get rid of IR is to watch more TV without static content such as logos.

dear friend,
thanks for your prompt response; your words are surely re-assuring. I will work on the "Anti-IR" campaign more aggressively and report back after few weeks.

Today I have booked P42UT50D for Rs. 56000 and with 5 3d glasses (3 more on offer). The TV will be installed withing a week. Thanks a lot guys for this forum to decide on TV. Any suggestions for burn in and image retention problem to be looked at.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back