Paper inner sleeves

kuruvilajacob

I have been using anti-static inner sleeves which was made by a friend in bulk several years back using the best material. But I find that in my place which is very humid, fungus formation makes it very difficult to use the record after storing them in these inner sleeves. I recently decided to again clean the records and store them in paper inner sleeves. I had earlier posted a thread on this subject. I am trying to source the ideal paper which should have two properties. 1. Blotting property .Should be able to absorb humidity. 2. Should not leave paper strands deposited on the records . I understand Chinese rice paper is ideal for inner sleeves. But I don't think I can source them out here. Any suggestions ,?

Hi
In limited quantities Chinese /.japanese rice paper is next to impossible to procure

But there are other papers which can surely be used instead of it

Please contact our forum member Mr.Vijayan, who makes inner sleeves by using the so called rice paper. His contact no: 9443202181. Thanks.

I have sourced inner sleeves from Vijayan but they were polythene. Kuruvila Sir, if you get rice paper sleeves from him, kindly let us know please.

Have Googled and found some mention of rice paper-like HDPE sleeves on the net. Maybe it's the next best thing?
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm
Nice reading. For all practical purposes, I think unbleached paper sleeves are ideal for places where humidity is high. I am now removing all PVC inner sleeves and replacing them with paper sleeves and to cut down the cost, I make my own sleeves. Let me try to upload the video here

Some records made with low grade vinyl materials, affected, due to humidity when sleeved in polythene cover. Bubbles appeared on the surface. If the records put in paper sleeves, then the records will be very safe. Jacob sir, when you try to make the paper sleeves, please post your experience. Thank you, Regards.

My experience with paper sleeves go back to maybe 7 to 8 years. I used to make inner sleeves with paper 7 to 8 years back. Couple of years back,I decided to segregate my records and shift those I did not want to my ' For sale' section. But before shifting them, I decided to play them to see the quality of recording, condition of the records. I found that most records with PVC inner sleeves had fungus formation on the records while those with paper inner sleeves did not. The hydroscopic properties of paper prevents fungal formation and this also means, your stylus life increases as the dirt from fungus formation is not easy to remove. When you remove a record from paper inner sleeves, it is better to use a anti-static brush . So, overall, in my experience, paper inner sleeves is a better bet

My experience with paper sleeves go back to maybe 7 to 8 years. I used to make inner sleeves with paper 7 to 8 years back. Couple of years back,I decided to segregate my records and shift those I did not want to my ' For sale' section. But before shifting them, I decided to play them to see the quality of recording, condition of the records. I found that most records with PVC inner sleeves had fungus formation on the records while those with paper inner sleeves did not. The hydroscopic properties of paper prevents fungal formation and this also means, your stylus life increases as the dirt from fungus formation is not easy to remove. When you remove a record from paper inner sleeves, it is better to use a anti-static brush . So, overall, in my experience, paper inner sleeves is a better bet

You did very good observation on the storage of the records and the collecting. Will the 'newsprint' paper (not printed news paper) serve it's purpose? what gluing you are using for the joints? Any metal or wooden frame available to make the sleeve? Thanks.

If you cut the paper to size 24 inches long and 14 inches wide, you can actually make a nice sleeve using cello tape. I use plain newspaper paper ie, extra sheets from newspaper rolls that are available in some shops. I am not able to post the video on the forum unfortunately. Those who want to see the video may send their WhatsApp number to 9447113647

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back