Paradigms for my first Hi Fi setup ??

I think that was a very generalist statement. And I don't speak so just because I have paradigm but rather because it recognized across a much larger listener base. Rega may have a very different sound signature but that does not make it the only right signature for music.
In my opinion, paradigm does very well on mid range and reasonable lfe. The top end is subjective with some loving and some hating its aluminum tweeters.
But to outright reject the speakers as only for HT smacks of an elitist attitude that is prevalent in hi-fi world.

sent from my SIII using tapatalk

If you check my signature, you'd see I have a paradigm setup for HT. For music, they simply don't work for me - have heard everything right upto the reference studio models. All of them are a bit bright and off key - especially if you play string instruments.

The monitor series speakers are really really good for HT duty but IMHO I'd never dare put them in any stereo system I recommend. Music demands tonal purity, a clean fatigue free top end and accurate mid range. The monitor series paradigms don't do any of these as well as other speakers in their price range. Anything from Quad, Epos, Usher, Totem, PSB, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio or Rega will do better and some of them would do better even at much lower prices than the paradigms.

If you check my signature, you'd see I have a paradigm setup for HT. For music, they simply don't work for me - have heard everything right upto the reference studio models. All of them are a bit bright and off key - especially if you play string instruments.

The monitor series speakers are really really good for HT duty but IMHO I'd never dare put them in any stereo system I recommend. Music demands tonal purity, a clean fatigue free top end and accurate mid range. The monitor series paradigms don't do any of these as well as other speakers in their price range. Anything from Quad, Epos, Usher, Totem, PSB, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio or Rega will do better and some of them would do better even at much lower prices than the paradigms.

Before I bought My paradigms, I checked Dynaudio Focus, Monitor audio, Revel, Dali, B&W. But I liked My paradigms over the others. It all depends on the taste. What matters is who likes what.

Before I bought My paradigms, I checked Dynaudio Focus, Monitor audio, Revel, Dali, B&W. But I liked My paradigms over the others. It all depends on the taste. What matters is who likes what.

Agreed! Its all based on tastes. However you have the Paradigm Signature which is in a whole different price class and is probably as refined as anything else.

Agreed! Its all based on tastes. However you have the Paradigm Signature which is in a whole different price class and is probably as refined as anything else.

I was checking Dynaudio Focus and Dali ( dont remember the model) which were in the similar price range as mine.

Thanks

I hate most dali speakers but the Focus is very good when paired with the right amp. What amp did you audition with?

I dont remember. I took less than 15 days and probably fewer than 10 auditions in making my instinctive purchase. In those days, I was not well versed with the names of the amps and the speakers as I am today. I remember my paradigms were powered by Mcintosh ( 7X 200 W) amp. I guess that made the difference.

Last edited:
Exactly - the Dyns need a very high current amp with good damping - else they don't sound great at all. Two popular combinations used by US dealers are Dyn with Sim Audio which to me sounds way too thin and Dyn with Octave tube electronics which though sounding better doesn't have the drive that is required for Dyns.

As I remember now, It was run by a tube amplifier. Not sure what the brand was. The focus what I was talking were small bookshelves not the floor standers.

In those days, As I said earlier, I had not done research nor I had knowledge of so many brands. Wanted to go for seperates, I went in. thats it.

I am done with my auditions except MA bronze series, which I will be doing this evening. I tried Paradigm M 9 with denon, Yamaha & marantz avrs. None of the combo quench my taste in the bass department.

My final short list are now
1. Kef q 500 + marantz pm 5004 stereo amp
2. Focal choral 816 + denon pma 520 stereo amp.

Any one in forum uses focal. I will get a better deal on choral 716 but not available for audition. Though specs are almost same and focal differentiates 716 and 816 in terms of build quality, I am bit hesitant to invest without audition.

But le me say that my experience with focal 816 was just amazing, definitely suites my taste, of course for a higher price tag.

Just finished with bx5 & bx6. Liked bx5 for the music clarity and detailing with fair bass which was more natural for my ears. Did not appreciate bx6 though. They were thumping the extra bass, but the bass was eating onto the clarity and detailing shown by its younger brother. Important to mention, they were connected to the Cambridge stereo amplifier which plays a major role in the musical experience I believe. Though Mr palani shed some lights on the possible experience with bx5 and marantz combo, it was not available for demo.

Now decision time, battle is between focal 816 & MA bx5. I will like the sound from both of them for sure. It is now more of a logical choice of the best combination and damage to wallet.

And I fully agree. From what I have read (and not heard, unfortunately), the Signature (for that matter, even Studio) is not as bright as the Monitors. But as mentioned, universally discounting Monitors for music is something I did not agree with and that was my only bone of contention.

As for the other speakers you mentioned, I would have loved to pick them had they been in the same price range (except MA's bronze series which was very boomy) :) I had loved the PSB Image T5s, just as I love even more the ProAc studios :)

Just finished with bx5 & bx6. Liked bx5 for the music clarity and detailing with fair bass which was more natural for my ears. Did not appreciate bx6 though. They were thumping the extra bass, but the bass was eating onto the clarity and detailing shown by its younger brother. Important to mention, they were connected to the Cambridge stereo amplifier which plays a major role in the musical experience I believe. Though Mr palani shed some lights on the possible experience with bx5 and marantz combo, it was not available for demo.

Now decision time, battle is between focal 816 & MA bx5. I will like the sound from both of them for sure. It is now more of a logical choice of the best combination and damage to wallet.

Just do make sure that 5004 will do justice to 816. I understand you will not be cranking up the volume but a suitably powered amp will do wonders at low volume as compared to the under powered 5004.

Any suggestions ?

I believe you would need a minimum of 6004 or preferably 7004 (if Marantz is what you would want to buy) for 816 since 816 go up to 200W. The last quote of 7004 I had was ~39k without b&w here in Bangalore. With B&W, I guess it would go upto 42-43k.

You can also try the Exposure 1010 integrated amp with the focals. The combo can be heard at AudioDynamics in Koramangala. The 1010 amp is the entry level amp of Exposure and would retail for ~50k I guess. It turns out 50W/ch at 8ohms (similar to 6004) but is sonically assumed to be much better.

thr monitor7v6 are better than the v7's. The combo should be nice. happy listening... btw did u get from aquarius ? they had an old pair / demo pair when i enquired few months back.

mpw

You are right ! I got a good deal and there was nothing to lose.. And the weren't even burned in.. to speak of the usage. I weighed it against the wharfes (10.5) they had..but settled for the Mon-7. I liked the details in these pair. The Wharfes were good at the LFEs and were generally warm but that did seem to take away the details to an extent.

Last edited:
jams,

at theat budget the Monitor 7's are a good way to go. If you are into stereo.. please stick to 2.0 channel for a few months and let it grow on you.

mpw

I believe you would need a minimum of 6004 or preferably 7004 (if Marantz is what you would want to buy) for 816 since 816 go up to 200W. The last quote of 7004 I had was ~39k without b&w here in Bangalore. With B&W, I guess it would go upto 42-43k.

You can also try the Exposure 1010 integrated amp with the focals. The combo can be heard at AudioDynamics in Koramangala. The 1010 amp is the entry level amp of Exposure and would retail for ~50k I guess. It turns out 50W/ch at 8ohms (similar to 6004) but is sonically assumed to be much better.

For BX5, my first option is Camebridge Azur 351A. I have no idea how the acoustic signature of Camebridge and Focal 816 goes together. Audiotioned the focals with denon PMA 520, which sounds decent though not very transparent. Help required for Focals, on 30K range.

For BX5, my first option is Camebridge Azur 351A. I have no idea how the acoustic signature of Camebridge and Focal 816 goes together. Audiotioned the focals with denon PMA 520, which sounds decent though not very transparent. Help required for Focals, on 30K range.

You have made the mistake of falling for more expensive (than your budget) speakers and are now trying to rein in the net cost by compromising on the amps :) To be honest, within 30k, you will be hard pressed to find an amp which provides sufficient power for the 816. You go ahead with an under powered amp and run the risk of clipping the speakers.
One possible way out is first deciding on the amp (which will be driven by your budget), buying it and then using the amp for combo demo with speaker options. Of course, this is contrary to some sections who advocate finalizing on speakers and then choosing a suitable amp. That is typically the preferred sonic route while the approach I am saying allows you to control your hi-fi's net setup cost :)

Another line of thought is that if your amp budget does not allow you to go beyond 30-35k, then why do you not look for quality bookshelves? Please don't hate me for this entirely divergent thought!

You have made the mistake of falling for more expensive (than your budget) speakers and are now trying to rein in the net cost by compromising on the amps :) To be honest, within 30k, you will be hard pressed to find an amp which provides sufficient power for the 816. You go ahead with an under powered amp and run the risk of clipping the speakers.
One possible way out is first deciding on the amp (which will be driven by your budget), buying it and then using the amp for combo demo with speaker options. Of course, this is contrary to some sections who advocate finalizing on speakers and then choosing a suitable amp. That is typically the preferred sonic route while the approach I am saying allows you to control your hi-fi's net setup cost :)

Another line of thought is that if your amp budget does not allow you to go beyond 30-35k, then why do you not look for quality bookshelves? Please don't hate me for this entirely divergent thought!
I have seen some folks doing audition in that way, so as to limit the confusion of wide range of speaker choices as well.anyway, I was hesitant to go that way. Bookshelves, not for me (personal choice, no offence :)

I still have a choice interms of bx5, still within the budget.

I think then the answer is pretty easy ... buy the CA amp, test it with focals to see if works and if doesn't, just go ahead and seal the deal on BX5. Focal+Denon combo either ways didn't sound great to you.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back