Paradigms for my first Hi Fi setup ??

Phase 1 of Audio quest is over and now will start preparation for Phase 2.

I would need a decent source to match with NAD and Focals. Most of my music is in digital form, so a DAC is preffered over a good CDP. With NAD, I can add the DAC module to the MDC compartment @ price of approx 250 USD. But to complete the setup, a good iPad dock also might be required, which should cost in the range of 300 USD. There comes the questions, Is there a Dock in market with a good DAC builtin? Bcoz I do not want to connect laptop all the times to listen music.

I have very less collection of CDs, however it will be unfair to leave a stereo setup without a decent CDP. I will consider CD 5004 or C 515 during new year

But to complete the setup, a good iPad dock also might be required, which should cost in the range of 300 USD. There comes the questions, Is there a Dock in market with a good DAC builtin?

Found two best solutions, Pure i20 Dock for around 100 USD and Arcam drDock for 300 USD. Most likely to get an ARCAM from UK through a friend.

Arcam drDock review from the experts at whathifi.com

Absolutely! For their (relatively) diminutive size, they produce a prodigious amount of sound (and bass). I actually like them, but liked Paradigm better. KEF's look damn good (appearence wise) in my opinion. Very chic looking :) And they went very well with Denon so should sound nice with Yamaha's too.

+1..i found KEF a shade low in the bass dept especially with "not so bass heavy" numbers. Monitor 7s are also doing a great job..can see the sound opening up post the 1 month burning in.. ofcourse the amp specs may also have settled down (PM6004)

Phase 1 of Audio quest is over and now will start preparation for Phase 2.

I would need a decent source to match with NAD and Focals. Most of my music is in digital form, so a DAC is preffered over a good CDP. With NAD, I can add the DAC module to the MDC compartment @ price of approx 250 USD. But to complete the setup, a good iPad dock also might be required, which should cost in the range of 300 USD. There comes the questions, Is there a Dock in market with a good DAC builtin? Bcoz I do not want to connect laptop all the times to listen music.

I have very less collection of CDs, however it will be unfair to leave a stereo setup without a decent CDP. I will consider CD 5004 or C 515 during new year

As My thoughts and research progress, ideas are changing. Now, why not looking for a good CDP with USB port that support direct digital, which bypasses the consumer grade DAC of iPAD ? I see Marantz CD 6004 has this, so that I can connect IPAD to the front USB and use the DAC of CD 6004 for better quality music reproduction. Any user experiences to share / other options to consider (Yamaha CD -s700 could be, but not heard them yet) ?

Just demo the quality of the USB implementation as often it wouldn't be as good as the core CDP implementation. I have not heard the CDP6004's USB implementation so can't comment on how good it actually sounds.

Very nice :) Now time to upgrade the TV.

:eek: 32" Sony looks like red faced between the well built Focals. But since my visual quest is no where near the audio quest, an upgrade can wait:) . By the way, my source hunt is still on.

NAD and Focal turns out to be an excellent combination, the sound stage and expression it generates even at lower volumes is very impressive. I also am quite impressed that way NAD built its amps, Very sturdy. Speakers are still opening up, all these days I was driving it through MP input. Excited to see what I will be hearing with a real source.

So the Arcam dock wouldn't be your primary source dock? If not, I would recommend a good blu-ray player (Sony S390) + a V GOOD DAC (list is too long) :) Not recommending a stand alone CDP as one should have BDP capabilities in one's set-up, irrespective of one's video quest :)

So the Arcam dock wouldn't be your primary source dock? If not, I would recommend a good blu-ray player (Sony S390) + a V GOOD DAC (list is too long) :) Not recommending a stand alone CDP as one should have BDP capabilities in one's set-up, irrespective of one's video quest :)

Arcam dock will stay as my primary source if iTunes provides lose less file formats for the songs I purchase. Otherwise if I have to buy CDs and convert them to lose less formats to be played via the dock, then I prefer the normal CDP route instead. Your suggestion is definitely worth considering.

Arcam dock will stay as my primary source if iTunes provides lose less file formats for the songs I purchase. Otherwise if I have to buy CDs and convert them to lose less formats to be played via the dock, then I prefer the normal CDP route instead. Your suggestion is definitely worth considering.

So the assumption is that iTunes store will provide you with ALL of your music? I think that may be too rigid a route. And when you connect through the dock, it is the dock's DAC (does it have one?) which is used? I ask so as I have not heard of rave reviews of iPod/iPhone's DAC.

So the assumption is that iTunes store will provide you with ALL of your music? I think that may be too rigid a route. And when you connect through the dock, it is the dock's DAC (does it have one?) which is used? I ask so as I have not heard of rave reviews of iPod/iPhone's DAC.

Arcam drDock has a its own DAC, which bypasses the consumer grade DAC in iPad. This one got good reviews for its HiFi grade Builtin DAC. There is also one coaxial output if further sound quality improvement is required; which I am not sure of.

It was a sudden upgrade !! Focal & NAD was doing the beautifully, but they were also clearly showing me the details and image I am missing with a bad source. By the way, Focal is not highly transparent but will make you realize the depth you are missing. I ended up with Micromega MyDAC being added to the chain along with a CCK to the iPAD (My main source). I will write my listening experience after some critical listening.

Hi! I have Paradigm Studio 10, ADP390, and SA ADP for sale and they are all in excellent condition. I did not know where to put this post so I put it here for sale!

Thank You!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back