Paradigms for my first Hi Fi setup ??

Should be same as monitor 9 range. Between 55-60k.

sent from my SIII using tapatalk

Hi Milestone Seeker,

Sure you have gone through a big audtion journey to pick up your M9. Have you auditioned MA BX5 ? If yes, what was your experience compared to M9 ?

Most likely to go with an AVR since I would need further investement for a good CD player if I go for Marantz PM 5004 stereo amplifier. I am almost finalized my M9 with Yamaha RX 473. (Could not do audition with Marantz AVR)

Hi Milestone Seeker,

Sure you have gone through a big audtion journey to pick up your M9. Have you auditioned MA BX5 ? If yes, what was your experience compared to M9 ?

Most likely to go with an AVR since I would need further investement for a good CD player if I go for Marantz PM 5004 stereo amplifier. I am almost finalized my M9 with Yamaha RX 473. (Could not do audition with Marantz AVR)

Here you go ... my journey to my first component system:
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/20287-jamo-c405-407-wharfedale-9-6-9-5-a.html

:)

I have spoken of quite a few brands I auditioned, including BX5/BR5. They are nice, no doubt but are "loud". When I heard them in my final round of audition, I felt they were loud (not boomy). I did some googling and came across impressions which confirmed their suitability for larger rooms. Otherwise, they were amongst my final top 3.

Hi Milestone Seeker,

Also, is it worth to do an audtion for Kef Q 500 as in the same range for M9 s ?

Also, is it worth to do an audtion for Kef Q 500 as in the same range for M9 s ?

Absolutely! For their (relatively) diminutive size, they produce a prodigious amount of sound (and bass). I actually like them, but liked Paradigm better. KEF's look damn good (appearence wise) in my opinion. Very chic looking :) And they went very well with Denon so should sound nice with Yamaha's too.

My pick would be an all Rega setup - Rega RS1 bookshelf, Rega Brio amp and the Rega DAC. The Rega distributor is in bangalore. Why don't you contact him and get an audition? IMHO its a no brainer.

I have to admit all rega products are priced very very well. The prices are almost at par with UK prices - quite an achievement.

I recently auditioned the Rega DAC for a friend and even though it was a brand new piece with no burnin, It sounded very nice to my ears - had very natural tone and timber for something around 40k.

PS: Paradigms are primarily HT speakers - atleast the entry level ones. They sound out of place for music.

Last edited:
PS: Paradigms are primarily HT speakers - atleast the entry level ones. They sound out of place for music.

I think that was a very generalist statement. And I don't speak so just because I have paradigm but rather because it recognized across a much larger listener base. Rega may have a very different sound signature but that does not make it the only right signature for music.
In my opinion, paradigm does very well on mid range and reasonable lfe. The top end is subjective with some loving and some hating its aluminum tweeters.
But to outright reject the speakers as only for HT smacks of an elitist attitude that is prevalent in hi-fi world.

sent from my SIII using tapatalk

Absolutely! For their (relatively) diminutive size, they produce a prodigious amount of sound (and bass). I actually like them, but liked Paradigm better. KEF's look damn good (appearence wise) in my opinion. Very chic looking :) And they went very well with Denon so should sound nice with Yamaha's too.

Room size is 21* 13 sqft. So probably I will drop plans to audition Monitors.

Room size is 21* 13 sqft. So probably I will drop plans to audition Monitors.

Sorry but didn't get you. Since the room is 21x13, so you will not audition the Monitors as the room is too small/big? My comment was in reference to Q500 and I would think they would ok for the room size you speak of.

Sorry but didn't get you. Since the room is 21x13, so you will not audition the Monitors as the room is too small/big? My comment was in reference to Q500 and I would think they would ok for the room size you speak of.

I was judging the room size will be smaller for MA Q 5 or higher.

I was judging the room size will be smaller for MA Q 5 or higher.

Aahh...MA's BX5? My honest advise. Never discount a speaker, irrespective of the general opinion. You never know what rocks your boat. Bronze series are good speakers and worth a listen. I spoke of BR6 in my auditioning, BX5s will be smaller in sound footprint so don't ignore those.

Hello Kiitu,

Was just looking at EPIC 5 Sepcs. Lower Frequency is 45 Hz as compared to 40 or 35 for Floor standers. Just wondering how the bass response will be since it doesn't resonate lower freqeuncies.

One delaer has Focal Chrorus 816 FS on sale. Any reviews ?

I am done with my auditions except MA bronze series, which I will be doing this evening. I tried Paradigm M 9 with denon, Yamaha & marantz avrs. None of the combo quench my taste in the bass department.

My final short list are now
1. Kef q 500 + marantz pm 5004 stereo amp
2. Focal choral 816 + denon pma 520 stereo amp.

Any one in forum uses focal. I will get a better deal on choral 716 but not available for audition. Though specs are almost same and focal differentiates 716 and 816 in terms of build quality, I am bit hesitant to invest without audition.

But le me say that my experience with focal 816 was just amazing, definitely suites my taste, of course for a higher price tag.

Safar,

Good to hear that you shortlisted the speakers that suit your listening choice.

I feel the amplification is little under powered compared to the speakers. IMO, the speakers deserve some better and powerful amplifiers.

Safar,

Good to hear that you shortlisted the speakers that suit your listening choice.

I feel the amplification is little under powered compared to the speakers. IMO, the speakers deserve some better and powerful amplifiers.

Going by electronics, yes those amps are underpowered for those buties. However, I listened to them with these, and the perfromance was more than decent if not optimum. Anyway I will play between -25 & -50 db, which may not demand higher power amp.

Surprisingly, focal 816 performed quite well with denon 1713 also, it adjust dramatically, I could hardly notice any difference (of course at a slightly higher db level)

Folks I just got an Marantz PM6004 + Paradigm Mon 7 v6 (the older one).. They play decent music.. surely mid range+ is pretty strong.. The system is still 'burning in' and its getting better and better. i listen to whole lot of music ranging from country to metal.. and I am satisfied. The best part - the speakers are with high sensitivity (91 db) and hence are driven well with 6004..hence i chose it over the 5004 to punch in more power.. but they run very well even with 25% vol level. I will wait for the burning in and then decide for a sub to cover the slightly deficeint low frequencies.. as compared to the sonodyne I have.. And they (stereo) seem to be enough for HT also.. hope this helps

Last edited:
thr monitor7v6 are better than the v7's. The combo should be nice. happy listening... btw did u get from aquarius ? they had an old pair / demo pair when i enquired few months back.

mpw

Any one in forum uses focal. I will get a better deal on choral 716 but not available for audition. Though specs are almost same and focal differentiates 716 and 816 in terms of build quality, I am bit hesitant to invest without audition.
716 are known for their relative lack of low end which is not in favor of one of your decision criteria.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back