Paradigms for my first Hi Fi setup ??

Akash at Final Touch if I remember right. Lakozy is the distributor and used to have their own setup, not sure if they still keep it.

Hi,

Who is the psb dealer in bangalore? What is the price range of image T5/T6

===========================================

T5 was about 60K and T6 about 80k.

put a wanted advt on the forum.. maybe you may find one cheaper than a new one.

:))

mpw

Hi,

Who is the psb dealer in bangalore? What is the price range of image T5/T6

If you like transparent sound, you may like the PSBs. I had liked the T5 a LOT but did not get to audition it here in Bangalore so listened to them in Delhi. T6 was (is?) available for a listen at Final Touch. T5 had a far more punchier lower end than the Paradigm Monitors.

If you like transparent sound, you may like the PSBs. I had liked the T5 a LOT but did not get to audition it here in Bangalore so listened to them in Delhi. T6 was (is?) available for a listen at Final Touch. T5 had a far more punchier lower end than the Paradigm Monitors.

Today, I had my listening experience with PSBs and EPOS EPIC 5.

Epic 5 @ Refernce point, Indiranagar. Went their with lot of expectations after the PSB exp. When I started playing my usual Rock Star track, I was taken aback hearing the miffed sounds. Nothing musical !! Was it something wrong with the electronics and my hear. No way, there was the creeks in actions and my ears are now better responsive. I tried with all the CDs I have. Nothing sounded impressive. Overall I felt like someone has put a denim blanket over the speakers!! When I was done, the big question was why should some one invest 67 K for this english pair which sounded nothing better than a PC audio!!

PSBs were just before that. Unfortunately onlt T6 was available for Audition. Those were powerful and crisp with the lows and & highs. So Another Brick in the wall really rocked the room. Wanted to play Hotel California, was there in his iPhone. Not very impressed, mids and vocals were not easy to listen. I had similar exp with BX5 & BX6. While BX5 was easy to listen, deep, well balanced, BX6 were loud and sounded like extended bass.

So I was realising then that I am tending to 2.5 way than 3 way for musical experience. The sound signature that left in mind is BX5 & Focal 816. It is pity I could not hear T5, but then my prferences for extended music listening will go more in Monitor way than the PSB way. Here I tend to differ the reviews. For my ears PSB, sounded louder and fit for large rooms where as BX5 sounded fit for living rooms.

So the Final battle is confirmed to be between focal and MA. First going to pick up the amp. CA 651a is the choice. 75 W should be sufficent for both choices, while the Preout / Subout and USB inputs seems to be working in my favour. An additional investment is required for the iD100 Dock, but that will be in phase 2.

Today, I had my listening experience with PSBs and EPOS EPIC 5.

Not very impressed, mids and vocals were not easy to listen. I had similar exp with BX5 & BX6. While BX5 was easy to listen, deep, well balanced, BX6 were loud and sounded like extended bass.

PSBs are indeed very transparent and I noted in my speaker quest thread that I had come to realize that a little bit of coloring by speakers is not necessarily a bad thing. Though I do believe T5s sound better than it's elder sibling T6, the transparency would stay in T5 too.

Almost finalized on Focal 816. To pump up some decent power economically for the pair, I am looking at Denon 720 and Yamaha S500 (both are around 85 W contonous). Denon + Focal is readily available for audition. But not finding a way for auditioning Yamaha + Focal. Normally, Yamaha sound was little bright for me in other demos. Focals are definitely not fully transparent and tends to be bit bright at higher power levels. So theoritically Focal + Yamaha combo should be brighter in nature compared to Focal + Denon. Any expert views ?

There's a french company called Atoll that makes amps which do not cost a ton of money. They work really really well with Focals.

Here's their website
http://www.atoll-electronique.com/

They have an indian distributor

INDIA ALLIANCE FOUR MUSIC SYSTEM PVT, Ltd C-55 Jogeshwari Gumpha Darshan CHS Samarth Nager. Jogeshwari (EAST) +91 22 28 97 10 71

You can also look at entry level exposure. They'll work well too.

Last edited:
There's a french company called Atoll that makes amps which do not cost a ton of money. They work really really well with Focals.

Here's their website
Atoll Electronique

INDIA ALLIANCE FOUR MUSIC SYSTEM PVT, Ltd C-55 Jogeshwari Gumpha Darshan CHS Samarth Nager. Jogeshwari (EAST) +91 22 28 97 10 71

Thank You, that is a new enatrant to the list :)

Choices Now:

• CA 651 A
  • Exposure 1010
  • NAD 356
  • ARCAM FMj 18
  • atoll In 100 (Still researching)

I presume Abhishek was able to give you a Exposure 1010 + Focal demo? As for Naim Nait 5, I believe you would have far more owners for Naim as against Exposure as Naim is much better marketed and widely known. But no idea if you would still get a 2nd hand Naim within 50k.

I presume Abhishek was able to give you a Exposure 1010 + Focal demo? As for Naim Nait 5, I believe you would have far more owners for Naim as against Exposure as Naim is much better marketed and widely known. But no idea if you would still get a 2nd hand Naim within 50k.

I will go there on week end, however he will have higher models to demo with Focal. 1010 is in stock, but not on demo. Naim is out of focus as of now, but interested to hear them out :)

Here's their website
Atoll Electronique

=======================================================

RoC and the OP..

I have heard the Atoll IN50 and i think the IN50 or IN80 should do the job. I heard these at Aiiance4 with Tannou Mercury V4's and it was very nice. The Atoll's are very free flowing amplifiers and do not hold back. I think thats a good thing.

rgds,
mpw

=======================================================

RoC and the OP..

I have heard the Atoll IN50 and i think the IN50 or IN80 should do the job. I heard these at Aiiance4 with Tannou Mercury V4's and it was very nice. The Atoll's are very free flowing amplifiers and do not hold back. I think thats a good thing.

rgds,
mpw

Hi,

Can you share the contact for Alliance4 if you have. Whatever available on web, seems to be outdated.

I was about to remove nad from the shortlist, and then I received the recommendations from the focal's French support team. Surprisingly they vote for Nad Bee as the best choice for my listening preferences. Cambridge 651 comes strong next. Exposure 1010 was commented to be too weak for 816. No specific comments for atoll in 80. Now that gives some direction. So my hifi hunt is almost coming to a close.

Nad 356 bee or ca 651 a focal 816.

Thanks to forum for the guidance till now.

Before I make the final decision, how is the new soon dyne amp range ? Worth considering? If any one knows about them, please give me an idea about te sound signature

I was about to remove nad from the shortlist, and then I received the recommendations from the focal's French support team. Surprisingly they vote for Nad Bee as the best choice for my listening preferences. Cambridge 651 comes strong next. Exposure 1010 was commented to be too weak for 816. No specific comments for atoll in 80. Now that gives some direction. So my hifi hunt is almost coming to a close.

Nad 356 bee or ca 651 a focal 816.

Thanks to forum for the guidance till now.
======================================================

denom and me have auditioned the Focal 816 with NAD C356BEE. The amp is able to drive the speakers well and the sound is good.

I prefer bookshelves / standmounts and so i opted for one.

Please give NAD a a good try with Focal before you decide.

PS : Srisaikat from kolkata on this forum wants to sell his NAD C356BEE.. maybe you can get a good deal from him and that would be the icing on the cake .. wouldnt it ? :lol:

mpw

======================================================

denom and me have auditioned the Focal 816 with NAD C356BEE. The amp is able to drive the speakers well and the sound is good.

I prefer bookshelves / standmounts and so i opted for one.

Please give NAD a a good try with Focal before you decide.

PS : Srisaikat from kolkata on this forum wants to sell his NAD C356BEE.. maybe you can get a good deal from him and that would be the icing on the cake .. wouldnt it ? :lol:

mpw

Yes, I was watching :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back