Paradigms for my first Hi Fi setup ??

Safar

Hello Folks,

I planning to setup my first HiFi Audio. My usage will be 80% music and 20 % movies. At first I am planning only an AVR & Floor Standing front only. I was auditioning different brands available in bangalore. After lot of hearing and confusions, I am shortlisting my options for my speakers. (My inexperienced ears seems to be confused me )

• Paradigm Monitor 9 (With Denon AVR 1713)
  • Energy CF 50 (With Onkyo NR 414)
  • Polk Rti A5 (with Denon AVR 2113)

Not sure whether AVR 1713 will have enough juice for Monitor 9s ?

Though Cf 50 & RTI A 5impressed me with Dire Starigt and Pink floyd, Both of them sounded bright and screamy with the track from RockStar. I have not yet heard this track in Monitor 9, however it sounded neutral and smooth in Monitor 7.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards
Shebin

What is our expereinced folks' opinion on these ? Which one you suggest.

If you are going for a 2 channel setup , why AVR?

Buy a stereo integrated amp and FS speakers , later when you plan to add other items you can go with an AVR.

All of the speakers are from same line, so what ever suits your ears is best. You can even try some highend bookshelfs with stands and compare how they sound?

Denon is a much neutral avr and can run all speakers. But you need little bit more power to drive them efficiently. Look at 1912 series.

If you are going for a 2 channel setup , why AVR?

Buy a stereo integrated amp and FS speakers , later when you plan to add All of the speakers are from same line, so what ever suits your ears is best.

You can even try some highend bookshelfs with stands and compare how they sound?

1st and second both ideas are very very wise....
similarly priced bookshelves are difinitly worth trying...
and hear the speakers with int amps how they perform....then decide.
also try sonodyne/wharfedale

Last edited:
Yes, Stereo Amp will be the right choice. However I wont have the bughet to invest on a stereo amp now and upgrade for AVR later for my 5.1 HT.

okay you mean this will be your music plus future movie need in common..right..?
then yes a avr is good.but try to get little more powerfull than 1713...

The paradigm monitor series are excellent FS speakers. You could pick the monitor 7s from Kittu himself since it appears to be on sale (see his signature!) :D and pair it with the Denon 1912.

Energy CF 50 (With Onkyo NR 414)

Though Cf 50 & RTI A 5impressed me with Dire Starigt and Pink floyd, Both of them sounded bright and screamy with the track from RockStar.

Energy are warm speakers and it will be the Onkyo AVR which is adding the brightness. Just do a demo with Denon AVR, if possible, and see if RockStar still sounds bright. Ofcourse, DS and PinkFloyd will sound accordingly mellowed down so need to check that too.

Btw, did you have a chance to listen to Monitor Audio's bronze series too? They too go well with Denon.

Ofcourse, I have Monitor 9 with Denon so I heartily recommend the combo to a lot of folks :)

For 80% music and 20 % movies I am not going to recommend any of the hardware you have mentioned.
For 55% movies and 45% music then yes. But for 80% music I suggest looking at higher quality stereo pair.

Call up Audire and find out if they have anything on clearance, I believe they had some models left over since they changed their business model.

You can most likely find an 8" fostex 206 based rear horn loaded speaker around 55 k
or fostex sigma based io or omega floorstander for 65 they have left over as clearance.

Hook them up to a relatively decent low wattage stereo amp and you'll get better sound quality for your money than paradigm
( I strongly suggest staying as far away as polk audio RTI a5 for music, I've heard the combo you mentioned and it is an absolute waste of your money. The sound was veiled and not transparent and overly midbassy)

Last edited:
If you are going to use AVR often for more music, then do consider Yamaha series. Also they're well known for good surround processing capability. Check out their recently launched (*73 series) award winning AVRs.
Yamaha is better for music IMHO (even you can see threads in HFV pointing to same).
Try to have an audition.

Energy are warm speakers and it will be the Onkyo AVR which is adding the brightness. Just do a demo with Denon AVR, if possible, and see if RockStar still sounds bright. Ofcourse, DS and PinkFloyd will sound accordingly mellowed down so need to check that too.

Btw, did you have a chance to listen to Monitor Audio's bronze series too? They too go well with Denon.

Ofcourse, I have Monitor 9 with Denon so I heartily recommend the combo to a lot of folks :)

Do you know any dealer for MA in bangalore, aI could not find any !!

Hi safar,

I am looking for Home theatre.I am also staying in bangalore,can you give ur contact number ? :)

For 80% music and 20 % movies I am not going to recommend any of the hardware you have mentioned.
For 55% movies and 45% music then yes. But for 80% music I suggest looking at higher quality stereo pair.

Call up Audire and find out if they have anything on clearance, I believe they had some models left over since they changed their business model.

You can most likely find an 8" fostex 206 based rear horn loaded speaker around 55 k
or fostex sigma based io or omega floorstander for 65 they have left over as clearance.

Hook them up to a relatively decent low wattage stereo amp and you'll get better sound quality for your money than paradigm
( I strongly suggest staying as far away as polk audio RTI a5 for music, I've heard the combo you mentioned and it is an absolute waste of your money. The sound was veiled and not transparent and overly midbassy)

Agree on Rti, I eliminated this from my short list yesterday after audition. Need more light on the stereo pair speakers you mentioned. No one seems to stock in Bangalore.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back