Parts for Akai AP-D30 in Bangalore

metalrazz

Greetings Mates,

Picked up -
Akai AP-D30 Direct Drive Turntable.
Akai GXC 706D cassette player
Akai SW 156 Speakers.

The TT mechanisum seems to be fine except for the tone arm unit.
The counter weight is broken, no stylus, cartridge is off the housing.
Replacement stylus is RS-90
Please advice where i can source it in bangalore/ mysore.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That's some great looking Akai gear there!
You will be very pleased with how each component sounds. Those SW-156 are very well made and look wicked!

The counterweight drooping is a known issue with many Akai TTs of that series. There is a rubber piece between the plastic end of the tonearm and the metal S tube. This rubber typically sags with age. In your case, it's perished completely, snapping off the plastic bit that is used for mounting the weight. You can improvise a home made inner sleeve to glue the plastic bit back. I found that instant adhesive does the job well. The cart can be remounted fairly easily into the headshell. You could be missing headshell screws to hold the cart in place. Also, Generic replacement headshell can be bought fairly inexpensive from fleabay and do the job very well.
Make sure to open the TT and zap the pitch control pot with the magic stuff in the blue can. This will help maintain speed as well smooth the pitch control operation.
It's a solid TT and will not need any other work done.
Once spinning, you can check condition of the RCA cables and decide if they need replacing.
I'm a big Akai fan and it's great to see this nice bit of kit you scored!
Cheers!

Last edited:
You can buy a generic replacement RS-90 stylus, or, spending a little more can land you decent budget carts like the Ortofon Omega, AT-95E or AT3600.
I had bought some NOS Akai PC-90 carts a while back. I believe these were rebadged AT3711. Pretty good sounding IMO.

Last edited:
Thx a ton Pathakajit.

I am visiting Bangalore by next week, i will look for the above mentioned carts.
Noted the zapping of the pitch control pot.

Thx once again.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back