Philips turntable amplifier repair

vijayram

Hi,
I have Phillips make turntable,right channel of stereo amplifier is not working, can any one tell me where can I get it repaired.
vijayram

hi reubensm,
Thanks for your reply, the description is as under:
Philips Hi-Q international , Stereo System AF 592. Must have bought around 1980. Technical specification :Record player: Hi-Q Deck of 15 AF 792,
Amplifier: Output Power: (D=10%), PMPO: 2 X20 Watts. Out put Impedance : 4 Ohms per channel. Semiconductors : 2 ICs. 4 Transistors and 4 Diodes,Input sensitivity (Tape/ Tuner): 500 mV. across 0.5 MOhm for full out put. Inpt Sockets : Tape and tuner. 5 pin DIN (180 Degree) Out put sockets : Two 2 pin DIN. Loud Speakers: 15 RH 441/02 , Volume: 18 Ltr. 10 Watts power handling capacity.
and here is the link for the picture http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3554856/philips.JPG
I am sorry, i could not upload the picture.
Hope this much for should help you to suggest me :)
Thanks in advance , hey, reply is too long, pl pardon me
vijay

Hi Vijay,

i would suggest that you need to bypass the amplifier and connect the turntable to a different phono amp, you may use the same speakers

the cables coming out of tonearm will go to the phone amp directly

Regards

Tanoj

hi model is stereo System AF 592, I have posted one reply with full technical specification and picture also , hope you can see that post. it was bought around 1980 Picture can please be down loaded http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3554856/philips.JPG
Same model with forum member with same problem. We diagnosed it to one electrolytic cap before power amp and one BC547 transistor. That's all. Follow track after input selection switch. in preamp section if your power amp and PS is okay.

From my experience with vintage indian philips equipment, if the power supply unit, connectors, pots and wiring is ok, it can only be 2 things, 1) blown semiconductors, 2) blown electrolytic caps. You'd need some very basic knowledge of electronics to test these. Spare parts are readily available in the local market.

However, keep in mind that Philips used non-standard and more complex circuits in these pieces equipment (often adapted from the original Holland Philips equipment) and hence you are not likely to stuff that you'd recognize when trying to trace the wiring.

Nevertheless, its a good system to restore. If you were in Trivandrum, I would have been happy to help do it for you :)

From my experience with vintage indian philips equipment, if the power supply unit, connectors, pots and wiring is ok, it can only be 2 things, 1) blown semiconductors, 2) blown electrolytic caps. You'd need some very basic knowledge of electronics to test these. Spare parts are readily available in the local market.

Hi,

I had problems in sourcing a blown power transistor in the output stage of my Philips Hi Q International receiver in Allahabad and even in Delhi. Ultimately I had to go down to Lamington Road, Mumbai and spend over half the day in locating and collecting the item. I am not sure about the "ready availability" of spare parts in Bangalore. I hope it is so.

Regards.

I have philips af 582 stereo tt. Problem is that the platter moving slight slowly also vibrating. And left ch speaker sound is less louder than rh channel speaker. I also want full specification of this tt. Please anybody help me. Its urgent.

Dear Friend.

I doubt some transistors failed either in power amplifier or in preamplifier stage. In those players power transistors are darlington type. of course its is a very good player but not easy to repair without some electronics knowledge. I think it also has live line as common ground. Check where the actual problem , whether is preamp section or in power amp section.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back