Picture issue all of a sudden - Bravia hx850

amit

IMG_0157.jpg

Hello all,

All of a sudden observed these 2 horizontal lines and image ghosting on right corner on my screen. This is happening across all inputs.

Would truly appreciate guidance on cause and solution!

Thank all in advance!

Regards,

Amit

Hi

There seems to be a panel issue, if under warranty then call the service center and get it fixed.

Hence thumb rule is that with the latest TVs which have a lifespan of 3-5 years, you should buy a budget one that meets your requirements and after use pop it off ....no big brand or small brand guarantees the proper performance or lifespan of a TV,

Sorry for the loss.

Definitely a panel issue and replacing the TV with a new one will be cheaper than buying a panel which is usually refurbished. This model was a praised one in 2011 2012 fortunately I selected a panasonic gt50 instead. Really miss those days when crts used to last decades if not more and were affordable to repair.

You have two options. Some money from Sony as a buyback or selling parts like the T con board etc over ebay.

Thank you so much efernnd1 and audiodoc! Will call up sooner service to At least find out what's cost for replacement of panel. Puts a thought in my mind that how longevity of gone down with rising cost of products. Just foe sharing my w300a Bravia purchased 8 years back is still going good without any issue, touchwood!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much efernnd1 and audiodoc! Will call up sooner service to At least find out what's cost for replacement of panel. Puts a thought in my mind that how longevity of gone down with rising cost of products. Just foe sharing my w300a Bravia purchased 8 years back is still going good without any issue, touchwood!

Sony Service center will charge you Rs 400 + plus for the visit depending on the size of the TV.. Since yours is 55 inch, good chances it might be Rs 500..

This is for diagnose the issue... They quoted approx 40K as a panel replacement for my 46 inch model, so yours could roughly be 50K +..

Usually they wouldn't say that they don't have spares for any model.. If so Sony have to provide a depreciated cost for the TV..

They say "YES" we have spares just to put the ball in your court and push you to take the risk of deciding whether to change the panel (or) provide a buy back offer for the customer...

I had a similar problem like yours, but not ghosting.. Just a vertical line on the panel..

Have called up sonny service! charges mentioned are 400/- for visit and 1200/- for servicing.

Panel prices not mentioned on call.

Elangoas: Asking this just out of curiosity. Did you replace the panel or accepted buy back offer at depreciated cost? Do they provide any warranty on the replaced panel?

Thanks & regards,

Amit

Have called up sonny service! charges mentioned are 400/- for visit

Not bad..

and 1200/- for servicing

Servicing? I assume this will be charged only if you say yes to replace any parts..

This they would quote after the visit and few calls to & forth to their office..

Elangoas: Asking this just out of curiosity. Did you replace the panel or accepted buy back offer at depreciated cost?

Neither.. Just living with the issue.. Having already spent 65K for the TV, replacing the panel for 40K is not worth it in my opinion, which might last for an other 3 yrs only.. Buying a new TV with straight 3 yrs warranty is better..

Do they provide any warranty on the replaced panel?

Yes.. One year only..

Have called up sonny service! charges mentioned are 400/- for visit and 1200/- for servicing.

Elangoas: Asking this just out of curiosity. Did you replace the panel or accepted buy back offer at depreciated cost? Do they provide any warranty on the replaced panel?

Thanks & regards,

Amit

Your issue seems to be bad TCON or LED driver board

.. TV has 5 components
1. Motherboard
2. Power supply board
3. LED driver (inverter) board.
4. Tcon board
5. Panel

If sound is coming from tv..motherboard will be fine.
Since tv is powering up .. power supply is fine.

Replace 3,4 and give it a try. Buy them online sparejimmy or some other ebay.

The Sony service representative has visited yesterday, took pics and has confirmed that the problem is with the panel. He has reported that to the company and I will have to wait for call from Sony to know the estimate or other aspects.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Update: Got call, cost is 53K and will take about 8 days for parts to be available post payment.

My take: Right now if I go for a new TV, wont get anything in line with changing technology at reasonable cost, yeh I mean 4k LEDs and content availability. I might use it for year or 2 and then decide to upgrade. I am tending towards replacing the panel and use the same till that time.

Thoughts / Comments / Suggestions are most welcome!!

Regards,

Amit

Last edited:
Update: Got call, cost is 53K and will take about 8 days for parts to be available post payment.

That is huge, Also you would get only 1 yr warranty when you change panel..

Instead ask Sony for a buy back, they would usually subtract the panel cost from the new Sony TV and you would be required to pay the balance for the new TV...That way you will get a new 55 inch TV and then you can purchase 1 + 2 yrs extended warranty and be safe until you change your TV..

My take: Right now if I go for a new TV, wont get anything in line with changing technology at reasonable cost, yeh I mean 4k LEDs and content availability. I might use it for year or 2 and then decide to upgrade. I am tending towards replacing the panel and use the same till that time.

Thoughts / Comments / Suggestions are most welcome!!

Not worth it in my opinion.. There are plenty of brands in 50, 50 + inch category where you can get it with 3 yrs warranty covered for a little more...

Thanks for suggestion, problem is they have straight away said they don't offer buy back. Even if they do, will have to go for Sony only and looking at my budget as of now, can't afford that extra cost as just purchased Polk rti A7 centre and sub. So don't have much option[emoji23]

Thanks for suggestion, problem is they have straight away said they don't offer buy back. Even if they do, will have to go for Sony only and looking at my budget as of now, can't afford that extra cost as just purchased Polk rti A7 centre and sub. So don't have much option[emoji23]

I suggest you to write to this e-mail ID : [email protected] and copy [email protected] with your Job # with history of your purchase and the issue.

Request you to insist on the e-mail, that you are in no position to spend 53K for panel replacement and ask for a buy back.

You should get a response.. Try your luck..

If they offer buy back, you may spend the same 50 - 60K, but for a new TV also you would get the option of extended warranty..

Your issue seems to be bad TCON or LED driver board

.. TV has 5 components

1. Motherboard

2. Power supply board

3. LED driver (inverter) board.

4. Tcon board

5. Panel

If sound is coming from tv..motherboard will be fine.

Since tv is powering up .. power supply is fine.

Replace 3,4 and give it a try. Buy them online sparejimmy or some other ebay.

Where I can find these items? If those are purchased by me, will Sony service centre guys agree to install it in the tv?

Thanks and regards

Not worth changing the panel. You are spending 53k for 1 year piece of mind. What if goes bad post that? Also I am not sure if you will get a brand new panel as this model is quite outdated now. Same price you will get 3 years warranty with new TV easily.

I suggest you to write to this e-mail ID : [email protected] and copy [email protected] with your Job # with history of your purchase and the issue.

Request you to insist on the e-mail, that you are in no position to spend 53K for panel replacement and ask for a buy back.

You should get a response.. Try your luck..

If they offer buy back, you may spend the same 50 - 60K, but for a new TV also you would get the option of extended warranty..

Thank you so much elangoas! I did write to them and they got back, Few discussions happening. Will share once I get any thing concrete from them!

Regards, Amit

Update: after a lot of discussion and persuasion Sony reduced the replacement cost from 53k to 41k! Buy back offer is not offered as the panels are in stock!

I know it's still a lot of money but will go ahead with replacement with 1 year warranty!

Thank you every one for guidance / suggestions!

Regards,

Amit

Even Rs 41,000 is not worth it to replace the panel. I would not pay anything more than Rs 15000 for a panel, Sony or Wony or Cony!

For just the cost of the panel, you can buy a new TV.

On top of that, Rajudhs has put up a lovely plasma for sale at Rs 35,000 (Panasonic 50 incher).

Buy that and save Rs 6000/-!!!!!!!

Update: after a lot of discussion and persuasion Sony reduced the replacement cost from 53k to 41k! Buy back offer is not offered as the panels are in stock!

I know it's still a lot of money but will go ahead with replacement with 1 year warranty!

Thank you every one for guidance / suggestions!

Regards,

Amit

not worth it, rather buy a new tv vu/letv..

Back