planing to build a htpc,my config

1. First assemble an HTPC with preferable a dedicated GPU
ok will buy GPU GT 450
2. Install the OS (win 7) and xbmc on it.
Ok will buy one and install
3. Connect the computer to HT via HDMI (from GPU HDMI out to AVR HDMI in)
forgot to metion that my amp is not HD ,planning to buy one full Hd 7.1ch,at present i am using optical for dolby digital
4. Configure win7 to out put 7.1 audio
do not know how to do it
5. Configure XBMC to take raw 7.1 audio
again do not know how to do it
6. Let XBMC download all the movie info and thumbnails from internet
how do you do that
7. Enjoy movies ...
Will enjoy definetly

Downloaded movies (BD Rips) already are compressed so nothing need to to be done (unless there is a problem playing a file).

For downloading cannot share links here, but I prefer direct download sites like Fileserve, Rapidshare .... google for details.
You can pm me ,whats a good connection speed to download.do i just download and store in an external HD,or XBMC will do the storing part,at present all the dvd rips are downloaded with the help of utorrent and stored in a folder,is it diffrent with blue rays.

If your AVR is not HD ATM then no point in getting the GPU, as the whole point of getting a GPU is HD audio passthrough. Get the HD avr first then the GPU. Else keep using the optical connection. Once you have the AVR, GPU, I will guide you how to configure win 7 to output 7.1 audio. Same goes with XBMC (actually all this is been already discuessed in my HTPC thread with snapshots if you go through the entire thread)

I will PM you the links for download, but you need a paid account on RS or FS to reap full benifits else with a free account downloading HD movies is next to impossible.

AFA connection speed is concerned, 1 mbps should be the bare min (I have a 4mbps airtel unlimited). Lastly you need to point XBMC to the location where movies are stored. rest XBMC does it by itself. Though you need to follow the a simple naming convention when you store movies on HDD (again discussed in my HTPC thread)

PS<<Dont forgot to use the thanks button if you think my post was informative/helpfull :D>>

Last edited:
3. Connect the computer to HT via HDMI (from GPU HDMI out to AVR HDMI in)
forgot to metion that my amp is not HD ,planning to buy one full Hd 7.1ch,at present i am using optical for dolby digital

You can use optical or spdif out from your PC for audio.

4. Configure win7 to out put 7.1 audio
do not know how to do it

Go to Control Panel > Sound > Playback Device

You will see all your audio devices listed out. Right click HDMI or SPDIF and set it as your default device. Again click Cofigure and select 5.1 or 7.1 speaker.

5. Configure XBMC to take raw 7.1 audio
again do not know how to do it

First install xbmc. Then go to the settings option. Under System> Audio Output, set the audio properties.

6. Let XBMC download all the movie info and thumbnails from internet
how do you do that

When you select the movies section of XBMC, you will see an option to add video source. Select the drive or folder containing your movies. Then set the content as Movies. Select TheMovieDB as the scraper. You could also install imdb plugin as scraper.

You can pm me ,whats a good connection speed to download.do i just download and store in an external HD,or XBMC will do the storing part,at present all the dvd rips are downloaded with the help of utorrent and stored in a folder,is it diffrent with blue rays.

There is no difference between dvd and blu-ray downloads as far as utorrent is concerned. Select this folder as your movie location in XBMC. You will need to change the movie names like moviename (year).mkv for XBMC to download the correct information.

So first get your HTPC assembled and post your queries here.:)

well after going through my pockets found that the config what i was planning to buy was a little too high so decided to up grade my present PC.

MY PC CONFIG
Intel core 2 quad CPU [email protected]
2 Gb of ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
Realtek High Definition Audio
320 gb HD
Now with the help of the gurus i want to know what will i need to change or buy to make my old pc to HTPC .I want assemble it all by myself........
With the present config can the gurus tell me which cabinet will be the best for me so even if i want to up grade tomorrow i wont have to change my cabinet i want the cabinet to be a part of my HT and it should not look like a cpu in between the HT

in all probability, a horizontal cabinet is what you need. Whats your budget ..???

^^ Sorry I couldnt reply early, what case did you get ... ??

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back