planing to build a htpc,my config

nikhil1300

Hello guys
i am building my htpc need you expert advice and pls guide me if i am wrong
mother board---- intel core i5
Graphic card -----nvida geforce gt 450 (hdmi)
Ram-------------- 4gb ddr3
Hdd-------------- 1tb sata
Smps------------- cooler master 600w
combo drive------ lg blue ray
Cabinet still looking for one(suggetion pls where to buy it from)
Os---------------- window 7
Software -------what other sw do i need to play all my dvd rip.music,photos
Will i be able to play video games
last but not the least what is missing in my config and what price can i buy all this at,pls suggest a good place to buy the above system.
I am from bangalore
nikhil

For basic movie/music playback, this is overkill.

For blu ray / music playback, I use an i3 setup with 4gb of RAM and a fanless ATI HD5450 and have had no problems.

For gaming I have a separate setup so never tried on this machine.

If playing Movies/Videos/Songs is the only purpose of this PC, you can easily settle down with i3 2100, and a compatible board like Intel H67. Infact even the GPU you can step down a bit with GT440 (which is what i have in my HTPC). This way you can save some bucks, not compromising on the performance at all. And invest the saved amount on the storage (HDD) which have gone expensive these days.

For the S/W part for HTPC, its XBMC all the way.

You can have a look at my HTPC thread in my sig for some reference.

Since I am also considering a HTPC, hope the OP would pardon my intrusion.

1) Wouldn't Intel DH67BL suffice for HTPC? Do you need a Graphics card at all?

2) What about GT430? Is there any advantage in going for GT440 over GT430? Would it make a difference if one goes for a GT430 DDR3 card compared to a GT440 DDR5 card purely for HTPC purpose?

3) I have an age old Intel 965DQ with C2D and 4GB DDR2-800 RAM - somewhat similar to sam's old PC. If I get a GT440, would the old CPU/Mobo lead to any performance depreciation?

Since I am also considering a HTPC, hope the OP would pardon my intrusion.

I hope he wont mind, but you could have intruded in my HTPC :) thread as that is one thread for all HTPC queries and discussions ..... anyway to answer your queries ...

Yep any H67 variant is good enough. And NO you dont need a GPU with H67, Intel ix combo as H67 utilizes the inbuilt HD2000/3000 graphics to give HD A/V. It even plays 3D but I will suggest to get a dedicated GPU like 440 if you wanna go the 3D way.

2) What about GT430? Is there any advantage in going for GT440 over GT430? Would it make a difference if one goes for a GT430 DDR3 card compared to a GT440 DDR5 card purely for HTPC purpose?

Nope no such advantage AFA Movies and Videos goes (its the gaming performance that might differ), same goes with DDR3 or 5. Would not make a difference AFA Videos, Movies, Music goes.

3) I have an age old Intel 965DQ with C2D and 4GB DDR2-800 RAM - somewhat similar to sam's old PC. If I get a GT440, would the old CPU/Mobo lead to any performance depreciation?

Nope its gonna work absolutely fine. You have me (and my HTPC and its thread) as a perfect example.... :)

Yep any H67 variant is good enough. And NO you dont need a GPU with H67, Intel ix combo as H67 utilizes the inbuilt HD2000/3000 graphics to give HD A/V. It even plays 3D but I will suggest to get a dedicated GPU like 440 if you wanna go the 3D way.

If using onboard Intel graphics, there is some issue with blu ray playback. Apparently Intel graphics cant playback 24p content without repeating a frame every few seconds due to a frequency mismatch. Google around for details. Not a major issue but some people are sensitive to it so flagging it off.

Yes even I have heard the same, but personally I have seen i3 HD3000 working and I did not find any issue. Neither have I found many people complaining about it.

Go for GT450 only. It is a very good gpu. Or even better go for 550Ti. For gaming both of them are very good but also consume lesser power than the higher end ones and hence is a good option for gaming.

Hello guys
i am building my htpc need you expert advice and pls guide me if i am wrong
mother board---- intel core i5
Graphic card -----nvida geforce gt 450 (hdmi)
Ram-------------- 4gb ddr3
Hdd-------------- 1tb sata
Smps------------- cooler master 600w
combo drive------ lg blue ray
Cabinet still looking for one(suggetion pls where to buy it from)
Os---------------- window 7
Software -------what other sw do i need to play all my dvd rip.music,photos
Will i be able to play video games
last but not the least what is missing in my config and what price can i buy all this at,pls suggest a good place to buy the above system.
I am from bangalore
nikhil

got the pricing for the above set up
mother board ----------13500
Graphic card------------ 6300
Ram ---------------------1500
Hd----------------------- 5400
Smps-------------still waiting(suggestion pls)
Combo drive------------ 8400
Cabinet--------------still waitin(suggest pls)
Are the pricing right or am i paying high
Do i need a sound card(which one)
apart from windows 7 what other software do i need
do i need a wifi card also for downloading(which one should i go in for)

^^ Man where are the HDD pricing going .... ???? I bought 1TB fro 3800 a couple of months back ...... GPU price is fine, but as I said Gt440 would be enough, if thats saves you some bucks. You do not need a sound card. Apart from windows you can have XBMC (free) as I already mentioned, I think!, else MPC-HC is another top application available to play videos.

^^ Man where are the HDD pricing going .... ???? I bought 1TB fro 3800 a couple of months back ...... GPU price is fine, but as I said Gt440 would be enough, if thats saves you some bucks. You do not need a sound card. Apart from windows you can have XBMC (free) as I already mentioned, I think!, else MPC-HC is another top application available to play videos.

Any idea where i can buy the cabinet where i can fit all the hardware and what about the power supply,is 500w enough or 650w,i alsowant to xownload files so should i go infor a network card or wifi is good enough

I am not from Bangalore so I wont be able to guide from where you can purchase the hardware, someone from Bangalore might help. Also usually you can get your hardware assembled from the same place you purchase, so I think you can find a dealer who can get your stuff assembled then and there.

500W powersupply is enough, but make sure its not local. Get quality PSU like Corsair.
You dont need a network card, its inbuilt within the motherboard.

well after going through my pockets found that the config what i was planning to buy was a little too high so decided to up grade my present PC.

MY PC CONFIG
Intel core 2 quad CPU [email protected]
2 Gb of ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
Realtek High Definition Audio
320 gb HD
Now with the help of the gurus i want to know what will i need to change or buy to make my old pc to HTPC .I want assemble it all by myself........

Golchha Computers on SP Road or Computer Warehouse on Barton Center (MG Road) are places you can find premium cabinets. They are bit pricy than the smaller shops at SP Road though.

For suggestive prices of components i usually refer here http://www.computerwarehousepricelist.com/downloadpricelist.asp?file=Pricelist.xls
Contact me for any PC or cabinet related queries. I can get far less pricing then what we could imagine. Have contacts for Cooler Master Cabinets and SMPS which should be sufficiently moderate for our decent cabinet needs.

well after going through my pockets found that the config what i was planning to buy was a little too high so decided to up grade my present PC.

MY PC CONFIG
2 Gb of ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
320 gb HD
Now with the help of the gurus i want to know what will i need to change or buy to make my old pc to HTPC .I want assemble it all by myself........
Your PC config is more than enough for a HTPC playing full HD content till BRs. Why do you wish to upgrade? Only 3D through DVI port could be dicey and I did find a used 9600GT with HDMI output few days back for 1.5k only which should be more than enough for that purpose.

For Gaming, you could upgrade the graphics card and wait for HDD costs to come down by the Q2 2012 and buy a 1TB one. Also, Mobo specs are very important. You could easily overclock your CPU to around 3GHz if you have a decent Mobo.

Nevertheless, anyone buying any PC component could contact me as I have good contacts (Distributors at SP Road) who could most probably better the cost we get through other sources.

Assembling yourself is the best option as I see assemblers doing a shoddy job in integrating components otherwise. I can help with assembling as well ;)

Last edited:

MY PC CONFIG
2 Gb of ram
Nvidia Geforce 8400GS
320 gb HD

With what would you be connecting your HTPC,...

Directly to LCD TV (no Home Theater in between) so no 5.1 surround sound ...... . Or you have a HT with all analogue in and you would be running wires from your Mobo (inbuilt sound card) to HT ............then the above config is fine

HOwever if you have a HT in between and want HD audio, you need to upgrade your GPU to least GT430/440, so that you have HD passthrough to be directed to your (HT)AVR

Here you can find my HT set up

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/21856-projector.html

well i have a ok HT set up.yes planning to hook up HTPC to my HT,as i am not techincal i would request the gurus to help me set it up right from the assembling to the configering the htpc and hooking(what cables to buy) it on to the HT,i have not yet started to download blue rays,again want to know with the present config can i down load blue rays.what is the speed of tbe internet required.which sites are good for downloading(you can pm me for that) and how to store it or convert the files or data to XBMC,in short a complet set up for agood HD HT ,i definetly like what sam has done with XBMC,awsome work need to get my hands on his collection of blue rays,if you r planning to sell ,you have a ready buyer:eek:hyeah::licklips:

Last edited:
With what would you be connecting your HTPC,...

Directly to LCD TV (no Home Theater in between) so no 5.1 surround sound ...... . Or you have a HT with all analogue in and you would be running wires from your Mobo (inbuilt sound card) to HT ............then the above config is fine

HOwever if you have a HT in between and want HD audio, you need to upgrade your GPU to least GT430/440, so that you have HD passthrough to be directed to your (HT)AVR

Thanks again,i will definetly buy the GPU was still thinking of GT450,but which good cabinet that will fit all the present hardware into it.:sad:

well i have a ok HT set up.yes planning to hook up HTPC to my HT,as i am not techincal i would request the gurus to help me set it up right from the assembling to the configering the htpc and hooking(what cables to buy) it on to the HT,i have not yet started to download blue rays,again want to know with the present config can i down load blue rays.what is the speed of tbe internet required.which sites are good for downloading(you can pm me for that) and how to store it or convert the files or data to XBMC,in short a complet set up for agood HD HT ,i definetly like what sam has done with XBMC,awsome work need to get my hands on his collection of blue rays,if you r planning to sell ,you have a ready buyer:eek:hyeah::licklips:

Basic Steps ....

1. First assemble an HTPC with preferable a dedicated GPU
2. Install the OS (win 7) and xbmc on it.
3. Connect the computer to HT via HDMI (from GPU HDMI out to AVR HDMI in)
4. Configure win7 to out put 7.1 audio
5. Configure XBMC to take raw 7.1 audio
6. Let XBMC download all the movie info and thumbnails from internet
7. Enjoy movies ...

Downloaded movies (BD Rips) already are compressed so nothing need to to be done (unless there is a problem playing a file).

For downloading cannot share links here, but I prefer direct download sites like Fileserve, Rapidshare .... google for details.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back