music newbie

hi all
i am new to this forum and i require help from the gurus
my requirements
1. AV receiver
2. Speaker system
3. budget - about 100k (for AVR + SPK) max stretch 130K
Listening requirements
60% - listening to melodious music - mostly Bengali Rabindranath Sangeet / songs (wife)
30% - Movies - English / Hindi both
10% - Sports - excited that FIFA World cup is around the corner

System to kept in living room (18'x12')
AVR - want good voice quality, features is secondary
BUT want zone 2 (master bedroom 16'x14')
have seen marantz 5006, denon x 2000
heard good reviews about marantz 5008, Pionner 1123k, Yamaha 875
Speakers
have heard DALI zensor 7, Sonodyne, DALI 5, Andrew Jones, Polk 440, Polk 550, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha 299, Energy floor standing
my room does not have space for floor standings, hence looking for some compact options. somehow did not like the satelites that i heard
Liked Andrew Jones, DALI zensor 7, DLS- Flatbox M-one (My Best choice)
Also liked Bose SR1, but after reading review about Bose speakers, none to inclined for them
my tentative plan
a. Speakers - DLS Flatbox - M-ones pair as Rt and Lt
b. Rear speakers - Ceiling DLS IC624 pair
c. Zone 2 - Ceiling DLS IC624 pair or DLS 636 (stereo-single)
d. Marantz 5008 / Pioneer 1123K
e. center speaker and subwoofer will be added later
is the plan ok, suitable for my requirements.
can i get anything better in my budget
One thing more - i have not seen many reviews about DLS speakers as i see about jamp / polk / Dali, why?
i have an open mind
i want to finalise it quickly as i am doing the false ceiling of the house and i would like to place the speaker wires now
i have a LED TV samsung UA40C5000qrmxl
please advice and thanks in advance
music newbie

Last edited:
Hi

There are a lot of Home Theatre posts which you can refer to which can guide you to the appropriate choice. Between a Pioneer and Marantz, would definitely opt for a Marantz as Music would sound much much warmer and punchier.

As for speakers, based on your requirements ensure that the impedance is same or more than the AVR. The sensitivity levels should be more than 88db. This helps to put less stress on the amp power section. Speakers which can perform across all frequencies are ideal (20hz - 20khz). There are very few brands which can achieve this. Another thing to keep in mind is the after sales service and easily available spares.

Boston Acoustics are true performers and value for money, definitely better than Bose. They also have ceiling speakers which may appeal to you. MZ Audio is the authorised dealer for them. Visit their website for further details.

There are other brands like Jamo, KEF, Polk, B&W, PSB Image, JBL, Quad etc available. It all depends on what appeals to you in performance, size, appearance and ofcourse budget. The key is to audition as many brands and systems before making any final decisions. See online video demos over YouTube.

You can click on my user name and see related posts of past suggestions provided.

Marantz is good for music and movies. But your budget is 130k max.
Marantz AVR - 55k - 60k
Balance for speakers - 70k
PSB, Jamo, Dali, Boston Acoustics, etc are good performers for Marantz.
Your budget may not be sufficient for speakers. May have to stretch your budget.
Boston Acoustics - a good VFM product.

One thing more - i have not seen many reviews about DLS speakers as i see about jamp / polk / Dali, why?

I hadnt heard of DLS speakers before this, looks like an interesting space-saving concept. But even google doesnt have many reviews for them

hi,
i want the opinion on whether the following is a good option as there is a forum member selling the below devices
1. POLK Lsi9 bookselves
2. parasound HCA 1200
will both work together
but i think the parasound 1200 does have zone 2 or HDMI
plz advice

Looking for AVR or Stereo amplifier?
Parasound HCA 1200 - stereo power amplifier
Connection hierarchy:
Player (CD or DVD or Blu ray) - Preamplifer - Power amplifier - Speakers
Polk LSi9 BS will not go well with that amplifier (My personal opinion)

Hi jkarthik
thanks for the question.
i am looking for a AV receiver.
which AVR will go best with the polk LSi9's bookshelfs
music newbie

IMO, Denon, yamaha and onkyo.

Why don't you consider Marantz? Nice for both music and movies since your preference is 60% music.
You can get Marantz + Boston Acoustics for around 1.5K.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back