Planning my HT Room

Would it be possible to have sliding doors on both sides (one on the staircase side and the other on the open side) and have the sliding doors treated acoustically? This will reduce your room side but would probably give a much better HT experience. With both sliding, you could also have it flexible in terms of handling more guests and changing the look as needed.

Curtains, I think should be an add-on as they would still allow sound to seep through the bottom, so may not help if there is no back enclosure.

Having an acoustically treated sliding door on the open court side is possible, and needs to be done aesthetically but not easily done on the staircase side. If I have sliding on the open court side then I don't need curtains.

George

Hi,

This room looks aesthetically good, but is it good acoustically also. Like the side wall's, is it just a plane wall with curtains?? or is it acoustically treated walls with curtains.

thanks.
Aneel, I feel these might not be curtains after all. They look to me like diffusors made out of wood. Not clear from that pic, hence requested audio_engr to post more info.

Curtains are good only for High and Midrange Frequenies. But like you mentioned, they might have provided LF treatment behind the curtains.

^ this kind of diffusor has been used in Rex Theater in Bangalore:). Urvashi Theater, the best sounding Cinema theater in Bangalore IMO uses BAD(Binary Amplitude Diffusor) look-alike panels. Not sure if they are RPG though.

@ santhol2 :

1. When you design/plan a room, what considerations do you give towards RT60, NC, flutter-echoes, etc? Rather what figures do you try to attain & how to you ascertain that it conforms?

2. Do you follow LEDE or any other concept?

regards
audio_engr, I do not have much "technical" knowledge on the subject and my knowledge is limited to what I have read online. I have built/planned only one Home Theater(my own). The approach I have adopted is to take a step by step experimental approach. This way I can try and understand what I am doing and why I am doing it:).

From what I read, Rt-60 measurements become so short as to be useless in small rooms like mine - 12ft x 15ft x 8ft (BxLxH). Infact even rooms of size 20ft x 35 are considered small in US. So haven't tried measuring the RT60s yet.

For flutter echoes, I tried the clap test at various places in the room including listening positions and did not hear any echoes that I needed to worry about. George also tried the same when he visited my place last week.

Currently I do not have corner tube trap but also not have any problems with standing waves. If a future sub-woofer upgrade warrants tube traps, I shall go for it.

However, just for curiousity I will try and measure Rt60s and other measurements when I have a dB Meter. When I have an Iphone or an Android based phone, I will definitely get the app and record measurements.

I have implemented a variation of LEDE. The front end (speaker end) is dead, but the lower half of the rear wall is absorber boards(since this is also used for HT). The upper half is reflective and I intend to install some DIY diffusors when I get a chance.

I wanted to share another key decision I made after reading the Acoustical Treatment Master Thread and also after confirming with Venkat Sir. I wanted my room to be listening room which doubles as a Home Theater. So I wanted to be careful about not having too much of absorption. I have experienced at a friends place and also read that this skews and attenuates the mids and highs, thus making the lows too pronounced. So, I have added sound absorbing panels only upto 4 feet(slightly above ear level). The upper half I have used plywood wrapped with the same fabric. Whatever little the fabric absorbs, it absorbs. Rest it reflects and thus making the room more lively for listening to music. I have also treated the upper half as bass traps by providing a one inch air gap between the plywood and the high density glasswool.

@Audio_engr: From your other posts, I understand you are a qualified sound engineeer. So, any observations/corrections that you may make would be highly appreciated:).

@ aneelr & santhol2 :

The Side-walls are NOT curtains, in fact santhol2 is quite correct in saying 'looks like diffusers made out of wood'. Indeed - they are very specialized diffusors.

The room is the Demo Room of "Bowers & Wilkins" at their Worthing, West Sussex, UK factory and this room has been designed by a consultant - sub-contracting to 4 leading acousticians of the world like Dr. Peter D'Antonio of RPG Diffusors Inc, George Lucas of Skywalker, Arthur Noxon of Acoustic Sciences Corp (ASC) and Michael Illbruck of (formally Illbruck GmbH, now Pinta Acoustics GmbH & Inc).

Though the room looks extremely simplified, it employs mega technologies and is as ideal a room you can have either for 2-channel listening or a full-fledged Home-Theater.

Details of the room are too large a file to post. The acoustical report of the consultant that I hold is over 326 pages with drawings & complete BOQ.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, and are there any Professionals of such type in India with some quality ideas, keeping cost aside i know that's going to cost a bomb.

cheers.

Thanks for the info, and are there any Professionals of such type in India with some quality ideas, keeping cost aside i know that's going to cost a bomb.

There are professionals acoustical engineers available in India in most major cities. They will charge upwards of 35K and will usually take their whole consulting fees in advance. They will also be linked to some contractors and acoustical materials and will usually be very annoyed if you ask them questions. :)

Cheers

@ aneelr & santhol2 :

The Side-walls are NOT curtains, in fact santhol2 is quite correct in saying 'looks like diffusers made out of wood'. Indeed - they are very specialized diffusors.

The room is the Demo Room of "Bowers & Wilkins" at their Worthing, West Sussex, UK factory and this room has been designed by a consultant - sub-contracting to 4 leading acousticians of the world like Dr. Peter D'Antonio of RPG Diffusors Inc, George Lucas of Skywalker, Arthur Noxon of Acoustic Sciences Corp (ASC) and Michael Illbruck of (formally Illbruck GmbH, now Pinta Acoustics GmbH & Inc).

Though the room looks extremely simplified, it employs mega technologies and is as ideal a room you can have either for 2-channel listening or a full-fledged Home-Theater.

Details of the room are too large a file to post. The acoustical report of the consultant that I hold is over 326 pages with drawings & complete BOQ.
Audio_engr: I really love the way the B&W room looks. Can you please share some more High Resolution Pics please? When you get a chance, kindly upload them to Imageshack or Photobucket and post a link here. Also would like to know what electronics have been used? The monoblocks look like Bryston to me, I could be wrong though.

There are professionals acoustical engineers available in India in most major cities. They will charge upwards of 35K and will usually take their whole consulting fees in advance. They will also be linked to some contractors and acoustical materials and will usually be very annoyed if you ask them questions. :)
Cheers
:lol:

@ aneelr & santhol2 :

Hi,
The rooms looks very simplified, so that only you mentioned wife friendly:)

So it will be very interesting read the acoustical report and you can post in torrent based or free file sharing sites and so links can be given for downloading..

It will be quiete useful for us.

thanks

Already you have it and little piece of information you have shared, no fun in keeping it confidential:licklips::eek:hyeah:

Hi Raj

I am considering Anutone as well, will make a trip to Whitefield. Santhosh mad e aminro goof, which he recgtifies, while ordering the panels-his arpenter gave him measurements in feet and he made the underlying frame of wooden beading using measurements in feet and inches.When he went to ordeer the panels Anutone said they use the metric system! Luckily for him, their panels are pressed and then trimmed to exact sizes, so he managed to get it appx in feet! I believe Santhosh paid around Rs 60/sft, and we can do a joint purchase to negotiate a volume discount, if you and I can firm up on Anutone. Satnhosh has covered is acoustic boards as well as plywood panels above them in raw silk, and they look nice.

I'm also looking at something on similar lines as what you are plannign, but in my aesthetics is as important as acoustices, so it is a bit of a challenge.

George

George
I am also inclined towards Anutone. So, we can try to do a joint purchase to negotiate better. I am going a little slow now because of visitors and some work priorities. Let us try to catch up next week and see how we can coordinate.
Thanks
Raj

Raj: I too have visitors/travel plans and will not be free until the next 2-3 weeks. I will plan to visit Anutone sometime before that,a nd check their offerings, so that we are both equally informed.

Audio Engr: Thanks for the thumbs up on Anutone. Having seen Santhosh's room I know that their producst deliver. Need to consider the WAF now.

Cheers

George

Audio Engr: Thanks for the thumbs up on Anutone. Having seen Santhosh's room I know that their producst deliver. Need to consider the WAF now.

Cheers

George
George, speak to Praveen and get him to organise a visit to Anutone's "Experience Center". Take Susan along when you go, you will be able to see and choose from products from across the world. Like Audio_engr has mentioned, they have tied up with major brands including Owens Corning.

PS: Do not have too much of an expectation from their "Experience Center". I was expecting to see atleast one room(s) done up using their products but it is nothing but an installation/display of their products on walls and ceiling. I had recommended this to Praveen as I was expecting atleast one room done up using Anutone products with some kind of capability to measure NRC, RT60s etc. Anyways, the visit is still worth it.

Last edited:
George,
I too am in the same boat of getting my HT done. Like you it will be in the basement (24X14X9). My challenge is that I cannot make it a dedicated room, it will also serve as an home office. Did you get a chance to visit Anutone? I might also wanna join you in placing the order if can get some bulk discounts.
Rgds,
Manish

Hi Manish

Yes I visited Anutone a couple of weeks ago and had a chat with Praveen. They have two basic types of acoustic insulation panels, one is uncovered @ about 60/sft and the other is cloth covered and double that appx. I plan to buy the uncovered one and may use some cloth to cover it.

It's well worth making a trip and seeing what Santhosh has done and then we can do a bulk deal no problem! Let's meet sometime with Santhosh and figure things out. I am in town for the near future. I plan to use the room also as a lounge if I need to so like you it wont be a dedicated HT room like Santhosh's room.

George

Thats great, I am in the Whitefield area only and its easy for me to visit them. I have seen Santhosh's room and its very nicely done.
What else is pending in your room? I can join you in doing the purchase that way will benefit us both. My target is to complete the HT in the next 4-6 weeks.

Some of the items in my buy list are,
Anutone board (when do you plan to place order for this?)
Stabilizer
UPS for projector
Lighting
Front spkrs
Center channel

Do let me know,
-Manish

I can place the order within the next3=4 weeks no problem. I have all the rest of my equipment in place, including projecotr AV, HT speakers, and the only two things that I need to do are to get my screen into a retracting mechanism and a carpet.

I will pm you my numbers, just give me a call and let's talk.

George

I can place the order within the next3=4 weeks no problem. I have all the rest of my equipment in place, including projecotr AV, HT speakers, and the only two things that I need to do are to get my screen into a retracting mechanism and a carpet.

I will pm you my numbers, just give me a call and let's talk.

George

George
I am interested in joining the bulk order too. So, please count me in. Do you have carpenter/contractor to install it or do you plan to use Anutone to install it?
Which tile is Praveen (Anutone) quoting 60rs/sqft? Is it the subtex?
Thanks.

I got my false ceiling tiles from Anutone today. black MAT Solo. costed me about Rs. 58/sq ft...

Looks like I will push the wall cladding work by about 2-3 months. Just want to finish the false ceiling and setup the things once and takea small break from the project. Everyone at home is fed up with the civil work as it has taken about 4-5 months to build the room from scratch. Started with a simple remodeling of car garage and a HT room on top of that. but, few additional work got added and the work went on and on and on...

There was another option from Windoor in a recent thread for acoustic wall cladding. I'm planning to check that as well. I got a quick quote from them, which is really worth exploring.
http://www.hifivision.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=116219

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back